Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2018, 07:19 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I have shared many pics in the past.
Most look like the versions in the catalogs in paint scheme/decals.
Even rockets I built when I was SEVEN years old used quality Aero Gloss and Testors finishing products. None have ever looked like they were constructed with classroom paste and finger paints.

I didn't say they look that way. I said that I imagine them that way because you don't post pics. Besides, we all know you ate all the paste and you can't build rockets without something to stick it together!
Old 08-30-2018, 06:55 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh
Ok, here's what I've got:

I didn't find the body tube decal. So, that was left out. Paint scheme is based on the 1971 Estes Catalog (pg 35). Doug's looks to be roughly based on the scheme seen on page 54 of the same catalog. My interpretation of the catalog's image has the checkerboards as black and white. His also the Estes logo, and the "D Power" decal added to it.

The instructions with the fin patterns are over on the JimZ's site (http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/estes/k-16.pdf). Booster fins look to be 3° offset, giving it a clockwise rotation (as viewed from behind). Due to the curvature of the booster's fins, I had to create a phantom body tube to get the fins to "rest" on the booster's body tube (instead of hovering over it). I was surprised to find that the booster has a launch lug on it instead of only being on the sustainer. Launch lugs are aligned with the backside of the sustainer's black fin (relative to the image above).

Some deductions were made in the mass of the swivels (3) that were provided in the K-16 kit (used the 1974 Custom Parts Catalog to figure what the weight of 3 of them would be (I'm guessing it's not very accurate)).

Didn't find the B14 motors that the instructions called for in OR's database.
Motors called for in the 1971 catalog.

For Regular Payload Use Only:
Single Stage: A8-3, B6-4, B14-5, B14-6, C6-5
Multi Stage:
Booster: B6-0, C6-0, B14-0
Upper: B6-6, B14-6, B14-7, C6-7

For Camroc use:
Single Stage: B14-5, B14-6, C6-7
Multi Stage:
Booster: B14-0
Upper: B14-6, B14-7, C6-7

Looks awesome ! I forgot about the booster fins being at a slight angle. Thanks !