Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2018, 11:31 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
The Cox stuff, other than the name and the logo, are gone. Tunick sold that off before he sold the company (might still have the rocket molds, but that's not saying much).
That's sad to learn, but I thank you for passing along this information. If the molds are usable (or if Estes re-created them, including the ones for the Cox Little Joe II [the rear half of that one didn't make it to Penrose--at least not in usable condition, I heard] and Nike-Zeus), there is a market portion for such Ready-To-Fly model rockets. Also:

They made good demonstration launch rockets (I did that once, and they were a hit at Tamiami Park!). The Little Joe II (I had an original Cox-made one) flew high on its recommended motors, as did the Honest John, Saturn IB, and Saturn V (aesthetically, I preferred the Estes Firing Line series X-15 to the Cox X-15, but my Cox X-15 never exhibited the stability problem that I'd read about). The Space Shuttle America (originally called the Astra Glider) flew surprisingly well, despite the gliders' rather high weight. If Estes re-issued the Cox RTF rockets, I would gladly buy a few of each one, for myself and as gifts.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 04-19-2018, 03:02 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
That's sad to learn, but I thank you for passing along this information. If the molds are usable (or if Estes re-created them, including the ones for the Cox Little Joe II [the rear half of that one didn't make it to Penrose--at least not in usable condition, I heard] and Nike-Zeus), there is a market portion for such Ready-To-Fly model rockets. Also:

They made good demonstration launch rockets (I did that once, and they were a hit at Tamiami Park!). The Little Joe II (I had an original Cox-made one) flew high on its recommended motors, as did the Honest John, Saturn IB, and Saturn V (aesthetically, I preferred the Estes Firing Line series X-15 to the Cox X-15, but my Cox X-15 never exhibited the stability problem that I'd read about). The Space Shuttle America (originally called the Astra Glider) flew surprisingly well, despite the gliders' rather high weight. If Estes re-issued the Cox RTF rockets, I would gladly buy a few of each one, for myself and as gifts.

The Cox X-15 as sold by Estes was the one involved in the near fatality a number of years ago at a Boy Scout gathering in Oklahoma, making the X15 a CPSC mandated recall. Estes allowed HobbyTown to sell X15 Starter Set boxes with launcher and motors only after pulling out the rocket and shipping them back to the distributor for disposal.

The Nike Zeus (the only Cox rocket I ever had) had a nose cone that could pierce diamond ( ). The nose fit nicely on a bt-50 and I used it many years later to balance out a tail heavy rocket.

Last edited by Royatl : 04-20-2018 at 01:51 AM. Reason: had to get the agency acronym correct!
Old 04-19-2018, 03:48 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Gubmint agencies have no business regulating toys or forcing recalls. Just another example of over-reaching abuse of power.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 04-19-2018, 04:24 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Tunick was tax motivated. He "liquidated" the Estes residence and its contents, the Vulcan/North Coast motor molds and assets, the Cineroc and most of the non Chinese molds and the entirety of the spare parts collection.

Anybody who posts here hates his guts. He's totally fine with that.

Last edited by Jerry Irvine : 04-19-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
Tunick was tax motivated. He "liquidated" the Estes residence and its contents, the Vulcan/North Coast motor molds and assets, the Cineroc and most of the non Chinese molds and the entirety of the spare parts collection.

Anybody who posts here hates his guts. He's totally fine with that.

How can I like my own post?
Old 04-19-2018, 06:04 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

That guy is the very definition of POS.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 04-19-2018, 09:19 PM

Like. Press the foot on the gas!!
Old 04-19-2018, 11:35 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
Not necessarily--since Estes and Centuri were, and remain (on paper, today) linked companies (even Centuri's first motors were made by Estes), I have long thought that producing a Centuri line of Estes products would be profitable and popular. Centuri--like Estes--is a distinct, well-known brand; from the designs of its kits to the styles of illustrations and text in its technical reports, Centuri products have a definite look, feel, and mood about them, which I miss and would love to see return (and I would gladly "put my money where my memories are," to support them).

I have to challenge your comment that 'Centuri' is well-known.

The company ceased to exist over thirty years ago as a producer of model rocketry products.

I doubt any hobby shop owner or hobby distributor today has heard of Centuri.

Centuri has no awareness level with the general public.

Estes has re-issued 'Centuri' kits at various times in the past up to the present.

Semroc has done a pretty good job of releasing Centuri/Mini-Max/Enerjet kits.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:50 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
The Cox stuff, other than the name and the logo, are gone. Tunick sold that off before he sold the company (might still have the rocket molds, but that's not saying much).

Before that happened, Cox sold off their Altitude Finder mold to Estes who changed the mold to read 'Estes' instead of 'Cox' and sold it as the Altitrak. Twenty years later Estes bought Cox. Funny how things go around.

The Cox launch controller mold ended up at Canaroc/SMI who also ended up with the MPC launch pad mold.

There was a possibility that Estes might have released the Cox Nike Zeus model twenty years ago. Some mold tests were shot (I have one of them) but the decision was made not to pursue releasing the model.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:58 AM
Craftsman

Default Good news (ESTES)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001

Semroc has done a pretty good job of releasing Centuri/Mini-Max/Enerjet kits.

I'm sure you know, Bob, as a few others do that the Centuri kits were Carl's favorites.

Sheryl