Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2018, 07:59 PM
rosko_racer

Default Dr. Zooch's Saturn V Skylab (AS-513)

I was sent overseas for two months and decided to take with me a few things to pass some of that free time at the hotel... among some tools, glue, and wood filler, I took a Dr. Zooch Skylab Saturn V. I got it a looong time a go and thought it would be cool to add it to the plastic models I took with me.

Did some search here and on TRF on this particular model and to my surprise, it is barely mention, and there are not build threats... So I am posting this.

Guys, it sucks when you go overseas and think you may find hobby supplies... NOT! Found only one decent hobby shop in Bogota, Colombia, and it only had a small selection of colors. I had to go to the local "ferreteria" (hardware store) to buy a cheap can of white spray paint and sand paper. I did not take any paints with me at it is not allowed in your carry-on or your check-in luggage. And with what I found I did the best I could...

- Raúl
NAR #88644
SAM #230
EAC
CAT

Last edited by rosko_racer : 07-03-2018 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:36 PM
rosko_racer

Showing off my "working area" while at the hotel... getting the model ready for my building sessions... At this point I already had filled the spirals on the BT, built the MM, and applied filler to the NC and the transition. Also had already done the F1 bells....

Also these were the only colors I was able to get... the plastic cement was for my Academy Starcraft Terran Marine...

Also worked on the fins as per instructions... If you were wondering why my "wood filler" bottle says "ESTO NO ES PEGA" (THIS IS NOT GLUE) it is because my daughter kept confusing it with my bottle of white clue and I had to write it the warning on the bottle... she messed up two of her school projects... poor kid!

PS - My daughter and I share our supply of glue, paper, colors, and so. She likes rocketry and has build a few herself... lets see if she later picks it up more seriously.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  20180527_182901.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  472.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  20180624_122934.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  448.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  20180528_125542.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  526.8 KB  

- Raúl
NAR #88644
SAM #230
EAC
CAT

Last edited by rosko_racer : 07-03-2018 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:41 PM
Mr. Cut-by-hand

Impressive hotel setup. Look like you're ready for lots of painting, although I don't see many of those colors making it onto the Saturn V.

Is that thinned CWF in the non-glue bottle? Does it actually flow through that tip? It's an interesting idea for dispensing it, I hadn't thought if it before. Would be fantastic for spiral filling.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:54 PM
rosko_racer

Default F1 Engine Bells....

My F1 Engine Bells... these were not my best work as I had to make them with white glue... for some reason in Bogota they do not use yellow glue for wood, they use contact cement... Working with white glue to do the Funky Glue Putty was not easy and it took a few tries to figure out how many drops of glue I needed to simulate the engine turbine exhaust manifolds... I think it took about 15 drops for each!!!

I also felt that the bells needed to be securely glued to the bottom so I cut some toothpicks and added them to the bells as you see in the pictures. I drilled some holes on the bottom of the rocked and squeezed some glue through them. Once installed (one at a time) I tipped the rocket so the glue inside would flow to the area of the dowel. They are pretty sturdy now.

I painted the bells with the Tamiya Gun Metal first... I later was able to get the Flat Aluminum but did not painted them while there... Once I got back home I repainted part of them aluminum. The inside were first in red but once back home I painted the interior in aluminum then the skirt in Testor Gunmetal... they look better. These are almost bullet proof: they have two coats of crazy glue then about 5 coats of paint, not counting the kevlar wrap!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  20180529_004432.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  506.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  20180528_225757.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  519.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  20180528_135201.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  510.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  20180527_194846.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  492.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  20180703_214847.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  394.4 KB  

- Raúl
NAR #88644
SAM #230
EAC
CAT

Last edited by rosko_racer : 07-04-2018 at 05:57 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:59 PM
rosko_racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_w
Impressive hotel setup. Look like you're ready for lots of painting, although I don't see many of those colors making it onto the Saturn V.

Is that thinned CWF in the non-glue bottle? Does it actually flow through that tip? It's an interesting idea for dispensing it, I hadn't thought if it before. Would be fantastic for spiral filling.

Thanks Neil! I also asked them to let me borrow one of their office chairs, more comfortable than the ones in the hotel... plus it was set up in front of the TV so I could watch movies while building.

I got as much of the colors I needed for the Saturn and for my plastic models. But I only build the Starcraft Terran Marine. Still needs a little work on the face and get the decals on, this I left for when I was back home. Here are a few pictures. It is not very big, it is 1/30 scale and about 3 inches tall, but it looks really cool. Posable also!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  20180611_225939.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  509.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  20180612_054534.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  481.6 KB  

- Raúl
NAR #88644
SAM #230
EAC
CAT

Last edited by rosko_racer : 07-04-2018 at 05:58 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:13 PM
rosko_racer

This is where I am right now with the Skylab. I like the profile of this rocket and I am considering building a "Skylab" section for my Estes Saturn V.

I printed an entire sheet black and used it to cut the black stripes for the first stage that the instructions call to be painted. This way the black is closely matched with the black of the wraps. On an afterthought, I should have used PowerPoint to designed this section with the proper mission number (AS-513) and include the position markers. They still look good in my opinion.

I also added the cable and LOX tunnels. Googled "Apollo Maniacs" and used their pictures to figure out where these tunnels were supposed to be. Great source of info for the Saturn V.

After looking at real pictures of the Saturn V Skylab I noticed two little details, one on the Skylab module and the other goes on the 2nd stage (the LOX Vent Fairing) and so I decided to recreate them. They will be installed after the paint is dried.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  20180703_202415.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  465.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  20180703_190601.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  466.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  20180702_192017.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  466.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  S2pos4.png
Views: 39
Size:  169.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  43be40d14ea56953cbe7564369265fa9.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  214.9 KB  

- Raúl
NAR #88644
SAM #230
EAC
CAT

Last edited by rosko_racer : 07-04-2018 at 06:06 AM.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:04 AM
rosko_racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_w

Ooops! Neil, forgot to answer your question. Yes, that is thinned CWF in a glue bottle. It does flow fine through the tip. It gives you better control over the CWF, specially when using it to fill the spirals. The cap gets clogged over time but cleaning it a toothpick and running warm water through it in the sink works well.

The other colors were for my Starcraft Terran Marine, a Gundam GP01 ZephyranthesMobile Suit, and a Bandai X-Wing Fighter... only the Marine got finished. The parts for the other two were too small to handle without the help of my one set of glasses and my lighted magnifying glass.

- Raúl
NAR #88644
SAM #230
EAC
CAT
Old 07-04-2018, 12:54 PM
rosko_racer

Default For the Purists...

I used this picture of the real Skylab on the pad as a reference to align the Skylab Module with the rest of the rocket and to figure out where the dotted line decal would go. It was then when I noticed that at the left side of the Solar Array Assembly Wing on the picture there is a tunnel painted black and white. That same tunnel is placed 90 degree offset on the instructions... in other words, on the other side, not as in this picture.

I checked to see if I could get a clear picture of the other wing but found none. So for the Skylab buffs: did the Skylab had only one of these tunnels on the module or did it had two? If it had only one then the tunnel goes on the other side from where the instructions call for. If it had two then I would need to make another one and place it on my model. Any thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Skylab Reference.jpg (781.6 KB, 29 views)

- Raúl
NAR #88644
SAM #230
EAC
CAT
Old 07-04-2018, 02:05 PM
rosko_racer

Default All Dressed Up and Ready for the Dance!!!

This one is all dressed up and ready for display! Messed up a few decals but was glad the good old doctor included a few extras. The decal sheet I had was good, not like that horrible batch of decal paper that was running around for a while and creating trouble for all of us. All it needs now it the recommended satin clear coat.

I am happy with the results. If you have one I recommend you go on and build it. These kits are a lot of fun! Only added two small details and may add the squares that go on the solar array assembly wings. Enjoy the view!

- Raul
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  20180704_144534.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  445.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  20180704_145526.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  312.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  20180704_145613.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  328.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  20180704_145552.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  392.0 KB  

- Raúl
NAR #88644
SAM #230
EAC
CAT
Old 07-05-2018, 06:05 AM
Trust me, it'll work!

How do you plan on getting it home in one piece?