Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2008, 07:15 AM
Master Modeler

Default LAUNCH Magazine CinerocHD Video

For those of you who are interested I've posted a short video clip from the the first flight of my CinerocHD camera rocket . This is a reduced resolution video but it's still a very large file. I'll try to make a full resolution copy available soon.

Mario
Old 10-29-2008, 07:41 AM
Dazed and Confused

What camera system did you use? I used a generic spycam in my first Cineroc clone and have everything ready for a second Cineroc, but would entertain higher quality video if the price is right.

BTW, you cheated! I didn't see a D12-0 stage!
Old 10-29-2008, 07:53 AM
Master Modeler

I gutted an Aiptek HD+ camera for this project. It can do 720p at 30 or 60FPS and 1080p at 30FPS It will also do a lower resolution for posting on the web but where's the fun in that?

The camera sans case is still too big to put in a Cineroc sized payload so I scaled everything up. The camera is about 3 inches across (it had a hexagon cross section) and the "Omega" booster was scaled up to 2.56 inch LOC tubing. You're right that I cheated - it's a single stage model. More information is available in the Aug/Sep issue of LAUNCH Magazine .

The first flight was powered by an Aerotech F50. The next flight will be on a G so I'll get more altitude. I also plan to suspend the camera from the nose so I get ground video up and down.

Mario
Old 10-29-2008, 08:29 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by mperdue
I gutted an Aiptek HD+ camera for this project. It can do 720p at 30 or 60FPS and 1080p at 30FPS It will also do a lower resolution for posting on the web but where's the fun in that?

The camera sans case is still too big to put in a Cineroc sized payload so I scaled everything up. The camera is about 3 inches across (it had a hexagon cross section) and the "Omega" booster was scaled up to 2.56 inch LOC tubing. You're right that I cheated - it's a single stage model. More information is available in the Aug/Sep issue of LAUNCH Magazine .

The first flight was powered by an Aerotech F50. The next flight will be on a G so I'll get more altitude. I also plan to suspend the camera from the nose so I get ground video up and down.

Mario

I suspended mine from the nose also, but it was a 1:1 clone. I've got the Launch issue, but I haven't opened it yet. I have been saving it for after football season when it becomes my turn to take my daughter to gymnastics. Three hours of nothing to do.

Last edited by tbzep : 10-29-2008 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:48 PM
Old Rocketeer

How do you like the quality of the Aiptek HD? Is that the unit that sells for around $150-200 that I have seen at Target?? I have one of the Aiptek MVp+ units that I am planning to fit in a 3" rocket.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:19 PM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

I did something similar for my "Upscale Omega/Cineroc."

The camera I used was similar to the AIPTek, but doesn't do HD. Nevertheless, I'm very pleased with the videos. I created a mount that held the camera without modifying it (other than taping Velcro to it). I've recently bought an AIPTek (non-HD) camera that's close enough in size and shape that it also fits.

I've been watching for the "real" memory card camcorders to come down in price. Canon, Panasonic, and the other brands are now selling flash-based camcorders that are not much heavier or larger than the APITeks, but have much better optics and electronics. I almost bought an "open-box" one at Circuit City the other day, but it was still a little too expensive for something I want to stick into a rocket. :-)

-- Roger
Old 10-29-2008, 02:29 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by falingtrea
How do you like the quality of the Aiptek HD? Is that the unit that sells for around $150-200 that I have seen at Target?? I have one of the Aiptek MVp+ units that I am planning to fit in a 3" rocket.

It's probably the same camera that's available from Target - I got mine from Best Buy. So far, I like the video quality of the camera pretty well. I'm sure there are better (and more expensive) camcorders available but this one is very good for the price.

Mario
Old 10-29-2008, 02:38 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadebox
I did something similar for my "Upscale Omega/Cineroc." -snip-

Very nice. Yours is a bit larger than the one I built.

Mario
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  cinerochd-sm.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  47.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  omega-sm.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  32.5 KB  
Old 10-29-2008, 05:59 PM
Forest Sprite

Nice vid, Mario. I love the sharpness and the clarity, and I'd like to see the full-res version. Cannibalizing a $200 camera, though - you are a braver man than me.

Mark \\.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 10-29-2008, 06:28 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
Nice vid, Mario. I love the sharpness and the clarity, and I'd like to see the full-res version. Cannibalizing a $200 camera, though - you are a braver man than me.

Mark \\.

Actually I cannibalized two of them - I broke the first one...

Mario