Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2018, 08:13 PM
Mr. Cut-by-hand

Test fit of a wing. Looks good, although I think I made the cutouts in the skirts for the body bands a bit too short, and will need to cut out a little more. That is likely to be a pain in the butt, but I've already spent a ton of time on these things so what's a little more at this point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  wing_test.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  43.8 KB  
Old 04-09-2018, 12:05 PM
Mr. Cut-by-hand

I am fretting over how to handle the hangers/lugs. I'll be launching off a 3/16" rod.

Attached image shows the scale locations of the hangers, shown on my own OR render. My plan was (is) to put the lugs where the hangers go, since that seems to be the scale-ish way to do it. This still leaves a number of questions:

1) If I put lugs in all three locations, would I be risking binding on the rod? Should I be worried about this?
2) If I don't put a lug up front, I'll need to at least make sure the front hanger assembly doesn't interfere with the rod. This might be difficult to do while simultaneously making it look vaguely scale.
3) Do I try to make hanger-looking structures around the lugs? I'm not sure how successful this would be, but I could give it a shot.
4) Do I dispense with lugs altogether, and just put appropriate-sized openings through the hangers? I think this might force me to make the hangers too tall. Can't decide which would look better.

One problem I have is that I lack dimensions for the hangers. I'd like to have a better idea before I try to actually model them. Anyone have an idea? I've searched online to no avail thus far. Measurements for the AIM9 Sidewinder should be equivalent, since they're designed to be compatible.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  hangers.png
Views: 20
Size:  27.1 KB  
Old 04-10-2018, 12:28 AM
Master Modeler

As long as the three lugs are properly lined up, binding shouldn't be a problem. Some rockets had/have very long single (and multi-piece) launch lugs. If the IRIS-T's middle and rear hangers are the same size and shape as the forward one in the illustration, and if the scale-size hangers are wide enough to encompass 3/16" Maxi launch lugs, you could make each hanger out of two pieces of sheet balsa (suitably "dug-out" to accommodate the launch lug), which would be glued and pressed together. (If the common fractional-inch thicknesses of sheet balsa aren't close enough [so that a lot of sanding would be required], metric thickness sheet balsa selections [in millimeter and fractional millimeter thicknesses] are available.) Also:

If scale-thickness hangers wouldn't be wide enough to encompass 3/16" launch lugs, the "dug-outs" could serve as launch lugs (they could be hardened and "slickened" by applying thin, wicking CA or epoxy onto the "dug-out" walls).
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 04-10-2018, 08:12 AM
Mr. Cut-by-hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
if the scale-size hangers are wide enough to encompass 3/16" Maxi launch lugs

I'm trying to determine exactly what scale-size hangers are. Haven't been able to track it down yet. I think I'll probably end up just embedding the lugs in the second and third hanger locations (scale be ****ed), and fashion the forward hanger to allow the rod to pass through unmolested. Seems like it should come out OK.

Still need to figure out scale hanger size, though, to use as a guide for what I'm doing.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:18 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_w
I'm trying to determine exactly what scale-size hangers are. Haven't been able to track it down yet. I think I'll probably end up just embedding the lugs in the second and third hanger locations (scale be ****ed), and fashion the forward hanger to allow the rod to pass through unmolested. Seems like it should come out OK.

Still need to figure out scale hanger size, though, to use as a guide for what I'm doing.
Before you do that, let me ask someone I know, who might know (or might know where that information might be found).
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 04-10-2018, 08:26 AM
Mr. Cut-by-hand

Quote:
Before you do that, let me ask someone I know, who might know (or might know where that information might be found).

That would be great.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:39 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_w
That would be great.
You're welcome. I can't promise anything (I just e-mailed him), but since he has flown in F-16s, he might know, or know where you could get that information. After all these decades, that particular information shouldn't be classified (I know that things are sometimes kept classified "on instinct/by habit," but so many contractors and subcontractors around the world have built Sidewinder hardware for so long that the hangers' dimensioned drawings should be unclassified). The Space Data Corporation sounding rocket drawings that I helped organize at Poker Flat (many of them were military-only vehicles, such as the Nike-Javelin, Nike-Hydac, Honest John-Nike-Hydac, Honest John-Nike-Nike-Hydac, etc.) weren't even Confidential.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 04-10-2018, 08:55 PM
Mr. Cut-by-hand

Default Stuff

Did some miscellaneous stuff today.

1) Enlarged the slots for the body-bands in the skirts. Surprisingly, I found that whittling or carving the cardstock with my snap-off blade allowed me to shave the cardstock down microns at a time, until I got it where I wanted. The final result was actually cleaner than my original cuts done traditionally.

2) New test show the skirt sitting more evenly on the airframe. Good.

3) I finished installing all the pockets for mounting the wings. The pockets are intended to preserve perfect alignment when mounting the wings, because it'll be very difficult to do free-hand. Also, the pockets will take the place of fillets for most of the wing root, because it'll be difficult or impossible to apply fillets under the skirts.

4) To ensure accurate placement of the pockets, I reinforced a discarded wing core with strips of basswood on each side, and used it as an alignment tool. When each pocket was finished, it provided just enough support to hold up the alignment piece in position.

Three of the wings seem to have picked up a bit of warpage. Nothing terrible, but I'll see if I can unwarp them before assembly. If not it's not a tragedy.

I think I got the pictures in the correct order this time!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  wing_slot.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  112.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  wing_test2.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  44.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  pockets.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  34.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  wing_alignment.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  44.4 KB  
Old 04-10-2018, 11:23 PM
Master Modeler

My friend Col. (and Dr.) Roy F. Houchin (USAF, Ret.), a Ph.D. spaceflight historian, sent me five .tiff Sidewinder drawings, which I can't attach here (I was able to copy them to my computer's desktop, but as no particular file type [they copied as file type "*", which YORF doesn't recognize]). I can forward Roy's e-mail message to you (with the attached drawings--I've already PM'ed my e-mail address to you), which should preserve their file type. He wrote in the message:

"Since I'm at work, I checked with our German Liaison Officer...Those dimensions (and the specifics of their program) are still classified. Interestingly, Norwegian F-16s have the same/similar IRIS-T system, so the specific data maybe available on/from them via the internet. if he wants to go with the Sidewinder, I have drawings for the Mk 15, Mod 0 version (attached). These might be useful."

I hope his drawings and information will be helpful.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 04-11-2018, 01:25 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
My friend Col. (and Dr.) Roy F. Houchin (USAF, Ret.), a Ph.D. spaceflight historian, sent me five .tiff Sidewinder drawings, which I can't attach here (I was able to copy them to my computer's desktop, but as no particular file type [they copied as file type "*", which YORF doesn't recognize]). I can forward Roy's e-mail message to you (with the attached drawings--I've already PM'ed my e-mail address to you), which should preserve their file type. He wrote in the message:

"Since I'm at work, I checked with our German Liaison Officer...Those dimensions (and the specifics of their program) are still classified. Interestingly, Norwegian F-16s have the same/similar IRIS-T system, so the specific data maybe available on/from them via the internet. if he wants to go with the Sidewinder, I have drawings for the Mk 15, Mod 0 version (attached). These might be useful."

I hope his drawings and information will be helpful.

My friend Paul Wolaver and I met Roy at NSL last year, sitting in the hotel lobby. We talked awhile, ended up going out to dinner together, and it felt like a reunion of old friends. He has family in Colorado and we all have dined with spouses twice since last year. Really a great guy and true friend.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp