Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2010, 01:40 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
Estes recommended it as an upper-stage engine for the Apogee II, and the Delta when lifting the Camroc. For the Farside and Farside-X, they recommended the -6. Yes, they made a -5, -6, and -7!

Centuri was a bit more liberal in recommending the B14-7 for its kits, listing it for their small, ST-7 (like Javelin) or ST-8 (like MX774) kits, but *not* for their multistagers!
For a Javelin or an MX-774, the B14-7 would certainly be a brute-force way to get the model up to maximum velocity (certainly much more quickly than from the relatively long, gentle push from a B6), but it would probably reduce weathercocking and dispersion due to the wind. Still, what a blur that must be at liftoff!
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 07-24-2010, 09:36 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Can you give me an example of what you might have flown on a B14-7. I always think of the B14 as a heavy lift motor and I'm having trouble reconciling that with a 7 second delay.

Works great with an Estes Sprint.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 07-24-2010, 10:15 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Has anyone publicly documented the core diameters, lengths, and draft angles for the various versions, so some day in the future these motors can be duplicated and re-released by some motivated guy with a mini-Mabel in his barn?

There are guys making Polaroid film again. It could happen.

Jerry
Old 07-24-2010, 10:17 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

I did an inventory of old motors, and found a number of B14s -- both Estes and Centuri, from 1969 and 1970. I thought I'd made a mistake logging the inventory, and having an entry for a B14-6. I guess I didn't realize there were three variations, with only 1 second difference in delay. All are just loosely bagged, but have been in my basement since the early 80s, so I'm pretty confident these could be OK, and plan to test a B14-0 soon.

The Centuri motors I bought were boxed, and have date code J, which should be 1979, assuming these are Estes-manufactured. My 1969 Estes and Centuri motors have identical "inkings", and differ only in company name and address. I got these boxed motors as seen here, included in the orange, white, and blue display box that contained the smaller, similarly colored 3-packs. I was fortunate to get 2 boxes of B14-0, and 1 box of C5-3S, would have loved to stumble on a full box. Some pics:

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 07-24-2010, 10:45 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
I did an inventory of old motors, and found a number of B14s -- both Estes and Centuri, from 1969 and 1970. I thought I'd made a mistake logging the inventory, and having an entry for a B14-6. I guess I didn't realize there were three variations, with only 1 second difference in delay. All are just loosely bagged, but have been in my basement since the early 80s, so I'm pretty confident these could be OK, and plan to test a B14-0 soon.

Back around 2000 there was an online hobby store, I don't recall the name, that had come across a huge stash of NOS Centuri motors. The majority of them were in the old orange/black/white boxes. One of the motor types they had were B14-6 motors. Amazingly, they were selling these old motors extremely cheap. I bought a ton of motors from them at the time and still have them sitting in storage.

I believe they got their motors from the same warehouse where John Boren got his stash of cases of old Centuri motors.

Addendum: Now that I think about it I believe it was A2Z Hobbies that had the old motors.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 07-24-2010, 11:17 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
I believe they got their motors from the same warehouse where John Boren got his stash of cases of old Centuri motors.
Scott Hunsicker's garage?

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 07-24-2010, 12:19 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Scott Hunsicker's garage?

Heh, no. I believe it was some old hobby warehouse somewhere in IN.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 07-24-2010, 12:26 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

As Scott mentioned, one of the best rockets to use the B14-7 in single-stage is the Astron Sprint. I have probably used that engine in the Sprint more than any other. I often used it in the top stage of my Astron Avenger and my Comanche 3.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 07-26-2010, 09:55 PM
Craftsman

Many years ago, when I started flying rockets, around 1970, I really liked two stage rockets. Back then you could get boosters in A, B, C and even shorties. The sight and sound of the staging was really cool. I had a rather large (for Estes) two stage rocket that would stage around 100 feet or more when the first stage was a C engine. When a B14-0 was used it really zipped off the pad and staged just past the launch rod!

I am looking to pick up a two stage model with a motor combination that will not fly out of sight.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:55 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBadger
Many years ago, when I started flying rockets, around 1970, I really liked two stage rockets. Back then you could get boosters in A, B, C and even shorties. The sight and sound of the staging was really cool. I had a rather large (for Estes) two stage rocket that would stage around 100 feet or more when the first stage was a C engine. When a B14-0 was used it really zipped off the pad and staged just past the launch rod!

I am looking to pick up a two stage model with a motor combination that will not fly out of sight.

About the closest you can come to the B14 today is the 24mm C11-0. If you can find them. There are a few left out there.

The TARC teams loved those motors but Estes stopped making them. maybe the new guys will bring the C11-0 back.

http://sandmandecals.com/