Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-11-2009, 12:21 PM
rocket dinosaur

Unhappy

Carl, some responses inline to your questions.

All of these facts have answered my three unasked questions that are answered with questions:

Q. "Where was Estes-Cox when the BATFE threatened the industry with their illegal regulation?"
A. When you are a $150 million a year company, why get involved in a fight when you are not directly involved that could spill over and destroy your company just by coming to the competition's aid? No brainer. If I was smart, I would probably feel the same way.

Carl, I think you may have mis-spoke there. The BATFE never threatened the model rocketry industry in any way that I am aware. HPR is not model rocketry. Never has , never will. It irritates me greatly that people miss this semantic point when talking about rocketry.

If the BATFE were to ban HPR tomorrow, it would not effect model rocketry in way.

Model Rocketry is not a gateway drug to HPR fo 99.9% of the Estes market.

During the BATFE epsiode, I talked in private to various people who were in the model rocketry biz and asked why they didn't support the NAR-TRA BATFE lawsuit and their collective response was, "we don't have a dog in this fight".

Q. "Why does Estes-Cox avoid NAR events, advertising in LAUNCH magazine, and appearing regularly at public outings?"
A. When your market involves millions of individual customers, why waste time and resources on hundreds? Also, a no brainer. Fortunately, those hundreds are our customers!

My feeling on this is that Estes is well big enough to direct advertising and marketing resources towards their primary market, their mass market and their much smaller but vocal and fanatic hobbyist base. They just don't choose to do so.

Q. "Why did Estes-Cox shut down their forum and refuse (until lately) to participate on the public model rocketry forums?"
A. See the last answer. There are less than a thousand active participants on YORF and TRF of which just hundreds are Estes-Cox customers. Why care what they think? This is also a no brainer. You cannot reach the millions on a forum. The few on the forums want a diverse, niche product line with just hundreds of potential sales on any given product. Again, that is great for Semroc, but a waste of time for a giant.

Perhaps because it had degenerated into the kinds of forum BS that all these forums at some time tend to devolve into.

I used to be on a number of rocketry related forums: I now only post to two: YORF and RP because they seem to me to be the most mature. I do miss all the great rocketry info that was on TRF 1.0 before it was lost to future generations.

Now folks, I'm just saying what comes to mind. It might be right or wrong. YMMV

terry dean