Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2012, 01:29 PM
BP Mafia

Default FSI Micron

Just a clone built with Semroc parts. I picked it because it was small, easy, and had a surprisingly large amount of decals for an FSI bird.

Nose cone still needs a finish coat and I cracked a fin fillet when I dropped it while blotting the water from the decals, but you get the general idea.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2

Last edited by A Fish Named Wallyum : 03-18-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:44 PM
Master Modeler

Many of my rockets have damage from me dropping them before they had a chance to fly.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:01 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

This thread is mistitled. I was almost excited. I love the real Micron.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:10 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
This thread is mistitled. I was almost excited. I love the real Micron.

And so it is. I got confused. Tried changing it, but it only changes in my title, not the title in the projects section. SCOTT!!! HELP!!!!

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Old 03-18-2012, 02:46 PM
Gentleman Rocketeer

Nice Job on it...love the choice of model...not everybody has one of those!
Old 03-18-2012, 04:00 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Rockets like the FSI Micro and the Estes "Astron" Drifter with high aspect slightly swept fins fly better than pretty much any other rocket. They are highly susceptible to landing damage. Use ply or thicker balsa fins and managed recovery.

For me the Micro gives me memories of my friend Lonnie Reese. My dad gave me my first FSI catalog shortly after I got my Estes catalog in the mail through Boy's Life magazine. It turns out he knew George Roos through some General Dynamics contacts, who sold FSI to Lonnie and Larry. Before there was Enerjet I was a Fly FSI guy. As simple as that. The most common flights for my Enerjet 2250 was 3xF100-10, no doubt. Enerjet 2650 same thing, but who can resist a two stage flight with simple black powder clustering and staging with F100-0 to F100-10? Not me.

I bought virtually all of my FSI motors at retail at stores local to me. Never deny yourself that same experience.

Just Jerry
Old 03-18-2012, 04:26 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
I bought virtually all of my FSI motors at retail at stores local to me. Never deny yourself that same experience.

Just Jerry

If you know of some stores within a three hour drive of Cincinnati, come clean. I've got five weeks of vacation and I'll gladly burn a day to visit a store that's selling FSI motors.
As is, this is just an 18mm bird that I plan to fly at B6-4 Field.
And I did buy all of my motors locally for YEARS. Johnny's was our local toy/hobby center. They had a pretty good selection of kits, motors, tubes, cones, rings and balsa. They went out of business a couple of years back. I'm guessing that almost every person of my age that grew up in the Greater Cincinnati area visited Johnny's around their birthday with the Castle Key that came in the mail. I did. My wife did. My brother and sister did. My kids did. To me, the death of a tradition like that is the hardest hit. These days I get my motors from Hobby Lobby. I like HL, but it's not the same.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 03-18-2012, 10:41 PM
Master Modeler

I build a "slightly upscale" Micro last year.

The body is a 24mm foil-lined motor mount tube; the fins are basswood, with TTW tabs that fit between the centering rings.

The cone is balsa, from a batch made by BMS for my FSI cloning project. I put a great big eye bolt in it, ala BMS's Viking I clone.

I haven't painted it yet. I used "Delta Ceramcoat" sealer for the fins and body; cone got a coat of epoxy for strength.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 03-18-2012, 10:57 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
I build a "slightly upscale" Micro last year.

The body is a 24mm foil-lined motor mount tube; the fins are basswood, with TTW tabs that fit between the centering rings.

The cone is balsa, from a batch made by BMS for my FSI cloning project. I put a great big eye bolt in it, ala BMS's Viking I clone.

I haven't painted it yet. I used "Delta Ceramcoat" sealer for the fins and body; cone got a coat of epoxy for strength.

If you post pics, I promise to look at them.
I took mine to the field with me tonight, only to find that I had cracked two fillets when I dropped it. Needless to say, I didn't fly it.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 03-19-2012, 12:59 PM
Master Modeler

I actually took pictures last night, and even stuck them on my computer, but got ticked off at the "Attachments" thingie.

I'll load them on Flickr tonight, and link to them.

Oregon is getting hit by bands of crappy weather -- it was snowing this morning -- otherwise I'd be tempted to hit the Micro, Penetrator, Viking I and Viking II I'd built with a starter coat of primer.

Hmmm. What I could do this week is glue the tube fins on the Viking III. I lost steam on the project before that step.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM