Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2009, 05:53 PM
MOTORVERKENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadebox
as the Google search shows

Remember, it's spelled...
G-O-O-G-L-E
not
G-O-D
Old 01-23-2009, 06:08 PM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

If someone uses the acronym "CATO" as an acronym then "CATO" is an acronym. The Google search I showed illustrates that people are using it as an acronym.

-- Roger
Old 01-23-2009, 06:42 PM
MOTORVERKENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadebox
The Google search I showed...

In case you missed the earlier post:

G-O-O-G-L-E
not
G-O-D
Old 01-23-2009, 06:54 PM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Red Max
In case you missed the earlier post:

G-O-O-G-L-E
not
G-O-D

Please stop being silly. I never implied that "Google is god." I simply used it as a tool to show examples of "CATO" being used as an acronym.

-- Roger
Old 01-24-2009, 02:58 PM
Launching since 1970.

Rather than repeating what has already been posted about rockets not ever "taking off" since rockets "lift off" or rockets from the 1950's would "blast off", I woould rather suggest that everyone get a big bottle of BRAWNDO and enjoy drinking it while watching a nice DVD of the movie "Idiocracy".

"It has what plants crave".

Old 01-24-2009, 03:45 PM
Retired Missile Technician

Folks,

I have been flying model rockets since 1967 and am not a BAR. My NAR number is 9790, which may not impress a lot of people, but I like to think it shows some experience.
I have always heard from day one "cato" as a catastrophic failure. No messing with acronyms or making up explainations. Simply put, it blowed up...it blowed up real good.

Anyone can take a few letters and figure out a reasonable explaination. But cato is really just a short way of saying it didn't work.

Let us proceed to discuss really important stuff.

Chas
Charles Has Acute Sense
Old 01-24-2009, 04:31 PM
Member in Good Standing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
Folks,

I have been flying model rockets since 1967 and am not a BAR. My NAR number is 9790, which may not impress a lot of people, but I like to think it shows some experience.
I have always heard from day one "cato" as a catastrophic failure. No messing with acronyms or making up explainations. Simply put, it blowed up...it blowed up real good.

Anyone can take a few letters and figure out a reasonable explaination. But cato is really just a short way of saying it didn't work.

Let us proceed to discuss really important stuff.

Chas
Charles Has Acute Sense

Thank You Chas! That's the way I understood it as well. Joined in 1962
Old 01-24-2009, 04:52 PM
Retired Missile Technician

Rocketflyer,

I bow to your experience and accumulated knowledge and experience!

Any further discussion of "cato"?

Now we have to bring up "prang". Other than being a source or paint, crayons, and art supplies the Prang company makes/made tempra powder paints that have been used by rocketeers for tracking powder. The interesting aspect is that for rocketeers the term "prang" describes a rocket suffering severe effects of gravity and results in a rather nasty meeting with Mother Earth. In early British aviation, the term prang came from wire-stressed bi-planes impacting the afore-mention Mother Earth. The result of the wood/canvas/wire impact had the piano effect of "Prangggggg...."

It is just a freakin' hobby. As Howard Galloway woke us at NARAM-13, "Model Rocketry is FUN!".

Peace,
Chas
Old 01-24-2009, 11:41 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

Fred Shecter wrote to someone else:

>>>>
If you mistakenly think it is an acronym and therfore type it as all caps, that does not make it anymore correct than if I type 4 + 8 = 73.
<<<<

Well, of course 4 and 8 are not 73. The answer is: 48

While 7 and 3 are 10.

No, wait, 1 and 0 are 1.

No, wait, 1 and 1 and 1 is 3.

No, wait, Beatles Song...

Never mind.

This "Cato" thing reminds me of years back when some ****** on the Compuserve Rocketry Forum was talking about how his home-made rocket engines were legal to fly in a local park since the local park allowed "model rockets". I tried explaining to him the legalities of what real model rockets were, that a key issue was the use of certified rocket motors, not homemade. But not, he kept insisting his were "models", of "rockets", so that made them ""model rockets" and then he just kept doing the equivalent of sticking his fingers in his ears. I think that was my first correspondence with a terminally clueless person, unfortunately not the last (sigh, yes, I had not been on RMR yet....sigh. ).

Anyway, like Fred, and Chas, I did not just fall off the rocket truck in the Google age. I've been in this for a long time. And "Cato" was termed as an abbreviation for Catastrophic Failure.

Period.

End of story.

The fact that afterwards, others have invented their own words to make it into an acronym, does not change the fact of the actual origin of Cato.

It may not do any good, but take a look at this acronym:

http://tinyurl.com/ah9hw3

OK, so those who think that Cato is an acronym, not an abbreviation of Catastrophic Failure, also believe that the word "rocket" is an acronym? Hey, it's on the internet, and I provided a link, so it MUST be true.

That’s strange. I thought that the word "bad" existed first, but according to the “internets”, there is an acronym for "BAD", so that must mean the acronym was created and that "BAD" did not exist before then?

http://www.acronymdb.com/acronym/BAD

So it really comes down to "bad" information.

One can Google till the end of time to find "evidence" that CATO was an acronym first, not an abbreviation. By sites that might as well also claim that St. Regis Paper Company invented the airplane, Rockefeller invented the Rocking Chair for men, and that *Norman* Rockwell designed and built the Apollo Command and Service Module that American Astronauts used when they landed on the Sun, at night, when it wasn't too hot.

As for the word "Prang" that Chas mentioned, I'm afraid that is one of those words that got to be known by a pretty decent % of rocketeers in the 1960's and 70's, but less and less known since. At least, I did not run into as many questions about what does Prang mean in the 1970's as I have heard in more recent years. I already knew of it from rocketry before I read a neat book about British RAF WWII pilots and missions they did, so it was interesting to see "prang" being used several times outside of rocketry, and by the RAF pilots. Although one of the stories was also rocket related. It was about a test flight of a bomber with a cluster of Jato rockets that were suspect to be sequentially fired (like stages), but they all ended up igniting at the same time (clustered) as the bomber was speeding down the runway, and the story mentioned the plane just disappearing into a huge cloud of smoke and noise and "the inevitable prang", with no survivors. Prangs are only often fun when it happens with models, and the model do not hurt anyone or anything...and they are somebody else’s models......

OK, to end this on a lighter note, a link to a 4-flight sampler of my Prang films, which I posted on Youtube in 2007 to promote NARAM-50 and ORR-3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8Qbvteg3Bo

The Prang films are on the Old Rocketeer Reunion (ORR) DVD set.

Oh, one other Youtube "prang" reference, the most public one I know to have existed in any movie, even if 99% of the viewers did not catch it. From Dr. Strangelove. At about 1 minute into it, Peter Seller's British Officer character says to Kenaan Wynn's Americna Officer character that if he does not let him speak to the President:

"A court of inquiry will give you such a pranging". And near the end of this clip a Coke machine gets murdered....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUAK7t3Lf8s

- George Gassaway
Old 01-25-2009, 12:10 AM
Master Modeler

Or, perhaps I typed it in all caps for emphasis and I don't care if it's an abreviation or an acronym.

Which leads back to the original post. Nobody has said that they want me to bring the green motors to NARCON 2009.

I guess NARCON is an acronym since it's in all caps or maybe I've been led astray by people who have typed it in all caps before.

And oops. I called them motors so someone should be all over me soon telling me that they are engines and only an idiot calls them motors.