Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2014, 10:15 PM
Craftsman

Amen.

I'm sure many of you are the same, but a large part of my hobbies, be it rocketry, drag racing models, or sports memorabilia is the nostalgia, the connection with my childhood. They may be on a much higher level now, but hard to match to magical place these things held in our childhood.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:59 PM
Master Modeler

Congrats on the wonderful find!

I've never seen MPC motors packaged like that. The ones I was familiar with, sold in various stores, had bubble packs.

High-quality scans of the kit instructions would be a nice thing to send to Ye Olde Rocket plans. Having plans from different years lets historians track minor changes in design through time.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 10-26-2014, 05:11 AM
Old Submariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
It seemed excruciating waiting for an order to arrive back in the day, but once it did arrive (usually to be found sitting on my bed when I came in from school) it was always a magical moment to open that box and find the kit or parts or motors that you had long saved for and anxiously awaited to arrive.

Gosh, it brings a smile and a bit of a mist to my eyes these years later to think just how much saving went into something around a $10 order. Seemed like a fortune back then, and now I put over four times that amount in gas in the car every 5-6 days just to get to work and back.

Innocent and fun times.

Earl

Hear! Hear! I couldn't have said it better!

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 10-26-2014, 10:10 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
Congrats on the wonderful find!

I've never seen MPC motors packaged like that. The ones I was familiar with, sold in various stores, had bubble packs.

High-quality scans of the kit instructions would be a nice thing to send to Ye Olde Rocket plans. Having plans from different years lets historians track minor changes in design through time.

Is there someone I need to check with to see if they need those? Would be happy to do that.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:42 AM
Master Modeler

I have an old shipping box like yours with the Estes label and address. Is it worth anything?
I got it when a coworker was going to pitch it out but instead gave me all his rocket stuff including some classic 'K' kits still sealed. I sold them about ten years ago for some good coin.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:01 AM
Craftsman

I have no ideal if the box has any value, I just thought it was cool haha. I do see the sealed K-kits (mine is K-!!) seem to have some sale value.

If you want to see a cardboard box with some value, check this out:

http://www.dacardworld.com/search?Search=1952+case

If you do some searching you can find the whole story about the case.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:40 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Vintage Estes Rockets Going up on Ebay Today

Hi, I'm new to the rocket forums. I inherited a few bags of rockets from an old engineer who is probably blasting stuff off somewhere in the great beyond. I'm slowly listing the rockets on Ebay today and tomorrow. I have some parts to go through as well. If you're looking for particular rocket pieces let me know. He has a dusty "tool box" full of bits and pieces and I didn't have the heart to see these things get dumped. (Maybe I should put them up as a Lot on Ebay and let you figure it out.) Also I need an opinion; two of the rockets appear to have been opened and re-stapled. Should I go ahead and reopen them and do a parts itemization? I'm posting the pictures today. Here's the list so far:

• Estes SS Cassiopeia - Level 3 - #1369 - Factory Sealed, nearly Mint, some slight creases hang tag
• Estes Jupiter-C - Level 4 - #1976 - Factory Sealed Mint
• Estes - Mean Machine - Level 2 - #1295 - bag opened - missing parts itemized
• Estes Recruiter - Level 3 - #2013 - - Factory Sealed Mint
• Estes Strikefighter - Level 3 - #2015 - - Factory Sealed Mint
• Estes Super NOVA - Level 2 - #2011 - Factory Sealed Mint
• Estes SDI Satellight - Level 2 - #2003 - Factory Sealed, nearly Mint, small tug holes in back of bag
• Estes TK-2 Screamer - bag opened - not original bag - no face card - missing parts itemized
• Estes Constellation - bag opened - not original bag - no face card
• Centuri ESS Raven - Level 3 - #5312 - Factory Sealed, shows light signs of scuffed wear on bag
• Centuri Excalibur - Level 1 - #5008 (KA-8) - Factory Sealed, shows signs of aging and wear
• Centuri Long Tom - KC-4 (Factory misprint KA-4 marked out and under seal) MINT
• Centuri Draconian Marauder - Level 2 - #5336 - Factory Sealed nearly Mint, small tear & creasing hang tag
• Centuri Nomad - Level 3 - #KB-4 - - Factory Sealed nearly Mint, Metallic Spec Plate included
• Centuri Sky Devil - Level 2 - #5040 - Factory Sealed Mint
• Centuri Sky Lab - Advanced Kit - #KB-4 - Appears to have been re-stapled (I will open it if you ask me to)
• Centuri Snipe Hunter - Level 2 - #5043 (KB-13) - - Factory Sealed, small tear in bag
• Centuri Stiletto - Level 3 - #5031 - Factory Sealed Mint
• Centuri UFO Invader - Level 3 - #5308 - Bag Opened - parts complete (8 "tube replaced with spare)
• Estes Range Box - White - empty
• Misc. bagged spare rocket parts

Best regards. I have been tinkering with some of the parts and I understand the passion. I've set aside a few less valuable rockets to blast off with my cub scout den. ~Red Desert Wren
Old 10-26-2014, 06:13 PM
Craftsman

Ummmm, Okay?
Old 10-26-2014, 07:23 PM
Black Wolf Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazarus6660
I have an old shipping box like yours with the Estes label and address. Is it worth anything?
I got it when a coworker was going to pitch it out but instead gave me all his rocket stuff including some classic 'K' kits still sealed. I sold them about ten years ago for some good coin.

The old shipping boxes do not have any real value. Generally, the only folks who pay for them are people with partial starter sets that are needing the box. You can ebay it for a few dollars but not a lot and shipping is difficult because of their size. My opinion.

I hate rules.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:23 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Oops, meant to post my list on the ebay thread. I did one of those copy-paste-fly-ins and landed here instead. Thanks for the input... as you were!