Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2015, 01:31 AM
7/21/61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass Rocket
Thought I'd add a few photos to the excellent tour that Steve gave. Randy really has a bunch of kits available. The room with the M&M guy is going to be a museum/trophy room I think. It was neat to see when NewWay made our trip over there. Thanks again Randy.

Rick,

Randy has a great display of New Way Rockets. In fact, one of the kits I left with was the Skyrise Square. Great looking kit!

Randy took great delight in pointing out to me your level of commitment ( obsession, LOL ) with the square holes in the header cards for hanging the kits on pegs. I love it.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:32 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Randy took great delight in pointing out to me your level of commitment ( obsession, LOL ) with the square holes in the header cards for hanging the kits on pegs. I love it.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc - Starfighter Scorpion Centuri - Mini Dactyl Estes - F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc - Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark
Old 08-28-2015, 11:25 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

I saw the Estes nose cone making machine on a Penrose visit in 1966. Unfortunately, many of my slides were lost in one of the many moves we made over the years. I did post some pictures of the outside of the old Estes building, with the rocket in front, and the ladies in "order fulfillment" (likely not a 1960s term!).

The cone maker was impressive. They were grinding 60-sized cones when we were there, and they completed very fast, got cut off, and dropped into a cardboard box. It was pure genius, just like Mabel, the engine-making machine. We saw that in operation as well. The other two machines we saw were the recovery wadding machine ,and the igniter machine.

The wadding machine ran TP thru a borax solution, under heat lamps, and then gently folded it on a couple arms that reminded me of a taffy puller. The igniter machine pulled wire past a three-armed wheel that dipped into that blue insulation, and deposited it onto short stretches of the wire as it moved along. It continued moving until dry. I think it was then cut into the three igniter strip. You had to cut igniters apart yourself and bend for use.

Vern and team were definitely masters at design.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 08-28-2015, 11:48 AM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
eRockets carries the full line of a huge number of vendors. Rack after rack of amazing stuff. Very dangerous place to walk through with any money in your pocket.

Randy is always on the lookout for bargains and apparently the MPC line is currently available from him for $7 each.

Thanks for posting all these images Steve, very interesting tour indeed!

I see some Semroc SLS header cards on the right side of one of the racks .....

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 08-28-2015, 01:24 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Jerry,
Can you start a new thread with photos of your nose cone machine. I would love to see it.
I'd also love to see a photo tour of your place and how you put your kits together.
Steve

I am under nda for that. Sorry. However it is a one at a time machine for mold masters, not a production unit. Think pattern following lathe with a router as the cutting tool.

The tube cutter and propellant extruder is more production. The tube cutter is different from every other machine I have seen. It cuts off on the end of the tube where the part drops into the box. It typically cuts 4 foot long parts to anywhere from 12" to 1/8" and pretty fast too. We once cut 8 boxes (2x2x3') of 38mm liner tubes a hair (1/2") shorter when the machinist made a last minute change and we already had the liner tubes made. It took the better part of one day.

Jerry

Last edited by Jerry Irvine : 08-29-2015 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:44 PM
B.A.R.

Thanks for sharing your pictures of your tour!!! I think we are all lucky Semroc is in good hands!!!
Old 08-29-2015, 07:39 PM
Sci-fi Heroine

Old 08-29-2015, 08:58 PM
Almost shovel ready

Wow! That's quite an operation and puts into proper perspective the effort and skills that go into manufacturing kits and components for this hobby. Thanks so much for posting this fascinating tour of a first class operation!
Old 08-31-2015, 08:12 PM
BAR

Thanks for sharing, Gus. This was really cool to see. And thank you Randy and all the folks at erockets. Very thankful for all they do to keep this hobby going. And I agree that Carl would be proud!