Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2017, 01:46 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Estes Pro Series II E2X Sale, questions

First, if anybody wants some Estes Pro Series II E2X rockets for cheap, Estes has a bundle on sale that contains a Mammoth, Trajector, and Prowler launch set for $45. The individual rockets are on sale too if you only want 1 or 2 of them. (Go to the main Estes web page, click Specials, then page 4 at the bottom has the individual rockets. But the bundle price is still significantly less than the even the sale prices of each individual rocket totaled up.)

https://www.estesrockets.com/cleara...2017-bundle-8-1

I've been doing the standard Estes rockets for 40 years (with a 15 or 20 year break in the middle) but never done anything larger than D engines. I've never had much interest in going larger, mostly due to increased costs, but at this price to get started, I decided to give it a try. I just purchased this bundle. (I have a few models now that will fly on either D or E engines, but still have never actually flown anything on larger than a D.)

I have a few questions about the Pro Series II rockets I'm hoping someone can help with.

Wadding - I see Estes has a Pro Series II specific wadding. What's the difference between this and standard Estes wadding?

Launch system - Again, I see there is a Pro Series II specific launch pad and launch controller. The Prowler kit comes with the "E" pad and launch controller. So why would I consider the Pro Series II specific launch pad and/or controller?

Beyond that, any other tips about the Pro Series II for someone who's generally well experienced in standard Estes rockets but never done anything larger before?

Thanks much!
Old 10-19-2017, 03:04 PM
Not so Junior

Wadding- same stuff, just more in the package.
PSII vs e-Pad- for non black powder motors you need to have more power for the ignitors, that's the difference in the controllers. The PSII pad is larger with a wider base to accommodate the larger PSII rockets.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:57 PM
Master Modeler

I launch my Mammoth and Trajector off a 5 ft , 1/4 in diameter rod using cellulose insulation ("dog barf") as wadding. I had planned on building my own controller using a rechargeable ni-cad battery but I found a great deal on a PSII Launch Controller - it works very well on Estes 29mm black powder motors.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:19 PM
Master Modeler

A little more detail:

The PSII launch controller uses six C-cells for power vs. four AA-cells in the E-controller. Both have 30 foot leads (which you need for E and up). If you’re planning to use the Estes Es and Fs, then what you are getting will be just fine, as they use the same igniters/starters as smaller Estes motors do. As kevinj suggested, if you are planning on using composite motors you may or may not want to/need to upgrade.

On the pads - Kevin pretty well summed it up. On flat ground and with moderate winds, what your’re getting will do.

Many people try to “improve” the PSII rockets with epoxy and fiberglass and such. They work JUST FINE when built as directed with the adhesives directed. Now if you’re looking to put a G80 in one of them then I’d think a little bit about some moderate strengthening.

If you’ve built recent Estes kits you’ll be in familiar territory with these three models save for the sizes of some of the parts.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 10-19-2017, 09:34 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The PSII rockets EASILY handle the Aerotech 29mm RMS H engines provided you fillet the fins with epoxy and build the engine mount with epoxy as well.
Too bad they discontinued the mega deer red max. That thing can handle a J motor.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 10-20-2017, 05:53 AM
Master Modeler

Speaking of epoxy - using epoxy is a little different than using white/yellow glue. Not necessarily harder but it is different. If you aren't familiar with epoxy I'd suggest trying it out - pick-up an inexpensive package and practice with that before you build an E2X PSII kit. I used regular JB Weld on the engine mounts of my PSII kits but that probably isn't essential. JB Weld is more heat resistant...and I had some handy when I built Mammoth number one .
Old 10-20-2017, 12:04 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by clhug
[…]First, if anybody wants some Estes Pro Series II E2X rockets for cheap, Estes has a bundle on sale that contains a Mammoth, Trajector, and Prowler launch set for $45.

Thanks much!
[…]

The Bundle 7 has been going on for much longer than I expected. I bought it about 3 months ago. I built the Mammoth and I’ve flown it on the F15 BP motors. A pretty simple, yet enjoyable build. I followed the instructions exactly on glue recommendations. My only mod was to make the rocket break apart at the coupler for easier transport.

Back when I ordered, Estes had free shipping if you spent $39.99. I just checked, the free shipping at $39.99 is still be going on. But they always have free shipping on orders over $50. This is a real bargain, especially with it qualifying for free shipping on that one bundle — maybe one of the best that I recall.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 10-20-2017, 04:51 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Thanks all! I appreciate the help. Received the bundle today. My local rocket club has a launch on Sunday so I'll see if I can get one of them put together by then (since they're E2X).

Yes, I meant, but forgot to mention the free shipping on orders over $39.99 too. That made it an even better deal.

I checked out my local Hobby Lobby today too and picked up the Star Orbiter PSII using the 40% off coupon. I know this isn't a E2X but it's still pretty basic assembly.

Wadding - if it's really the same stuff, it seems silly they sell it as specifically "Pro Series II" wadding. It's a bit misleading in my opinion. Just the other day I bought some of the regular wadding just because I thought there might be a difference that I might not want to use PSII wadding in my regular rockets. They should just call it a "bulk pack" or something like that. It's definitely more cost effective than the standard wadding package (3x the quantity for only twice the price.

Cellulose for wadding - that's the "blow-in" type of insulation, that looks like shredded newspaper, right? Is that stuff fire resistant like the Estes wadding is? I didn't realize that. If so, then yeah, I can see that might be much more cost effective, especially for larger rockets.

PSII Launch controller - I knew it used 6 C cells vs. 4 AA cells, and thus would have more power, I just wasn't sure when I'd need that more power. Thanks for the clarification regarding the larger engines. I'll probably stick to E & F engines for a while. If I can find a really good deal on a PSII controller and/or pad at some point, I might pick them up.

Epoxy - Since I'm probably going to stick with the E & F engines recommended for these models for now, I'll probably just stick to regular glue. If I decide to go larger, I can always build some later models with extra strength. I've definitely used epoxy to glue things in general and do know how it works, but never on rockets before. Yeah, I'd probably need to practice up a bit for more precise gluing needs on rockets. Though I suppose it'll have the advantage of setting up quicker than regular glue. (THE biggest thing I hate about building rockets is waiting for glue to dry.) But that also means I have to be more precise and right on with my alignment up front.

Thanks again!!
Old 10-20-2017, 06:00 PM
Master Modeler

You will be using epoxy a little on these models (including the Star Orbiter) to install the motor retainer. But for the wood/paper ones that's the only place it's needed. I am not that familiar with Trajector or Prowler...they may (like the Majestic I AM familiar with) call for epoxy to glue fin halves together and/or to the centering rings/fin support structure).
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 10-20-2017, 07:33 PM
Mr. Cut-by-hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
You will be using epoxy a little on these models (including the Star Orbiter) to install the motor retainer. But for the wood/paper ones that's the only place it's needed. I am not that familiar with Trajector or Prowler...they may (like the Majestic I AM familiar with) call for epoxy to glue fin halves together and/or to the centering rings/fin support structure).

They call for CA to glue the fins together but epoxy to glue the motor mount and the fins into the slots.