Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2007, 10:00 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Did you plug the nozzle? I heard that if you plugged the nozzle, they CATO nearly 100% of the time. When I started to just tape the igniter to the motor without blocking the nozzle, narey a CATO.

Nope, just used masking tape to hold the Hot Shot in place.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:41 PM
Strange Rocketeer

My Thunderbolt is quite different from Bob's. It's an F32-12 with the markings stamped directly onto the case (which appears to be phenolic). The nozzle looks like its machined out of phenolic as well. The top half inch of the casing appears to be a separate piece of tube, although I don't know why that would be.

The length is 126mm (not counting the almost 2mm the nozzle extendsbeyond the casing) and the diameter is 28mm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Thunderbolt-F32-12.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  33.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Thunderbolt-Nozzle.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  11.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Thunderbolt-cap.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  9.4 KB  
Old 05-14-2007, 04:45 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker
My Thunderbolt is quite different from Bob's. It's an F32-12 with the markings stamped directly onto the case (which appears to be phenolic). The nozzle looks like its machined out of phenolic as well. The top half inch of the casing appears to be a separate piece of tube, although I don't know why that would be.

The length is 126mm (not counting the almost 2mm the nozzle extendsbeyond the casing) and the diameter is 28mm.

Very interesting, Tom.

Do the markings list any sort of date or date code?

Bob
Old 05-14-2007, 04:54 PM
Strange Rocketeer

The only markings are what you see on the side of the casing in the photo (the other side has no markings).
Old 05-14-2007, 05:44 PM
Master Modeler

The F32 was offered in the 1977 catalog, as I recall.

One of the guys in the North Shore Section had one. I don't remember seeing one fly.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:39 PM
rocket dinosaur

Red face

I noticed over on Ninfinger's that there aren't any FSI catalogs between 1972-1976. Somewhere in that time frame George Roos and FSi in Louisville, Co moved to Raytown,Mo under the leadership of the Reese brothers, Lonnie and Harold.

For those of you that have old Model Rocketeer mag collections from 1972-76, if you could take a look and look for AD's by FSI and see if and when the address changes or if there is any news reported during that time period.

Trying to understand why George Roos sold(?) and moved FSI to Raytown and the Reese's.

terry dean
nar 16158
Old 03-04-2008, 06:06 PM
Master Modeler

There was a 1974 catalog. I think it was labeled REESE INDUSTRIES and not FSI. Plain B&W cover showing a rocket on a launch pad. An inside shot on a black background, kind of stark.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:27 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
There was a 1974 catalog. I think it was labeled REESE INDUSTRIES and not FSI. Plain B&W cover showing a rocket on a launch pad. An inside shot on a black background, kind of stark.

Is this the catalog?

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rock...e_rc1/rc1f.html

I've always wondered about this catalog in particular as to the date. Page three shows a three stage rocket "successfully test fired 4-16-72" but that's the only hint of a date in that publication that I've found.

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 03-04-2008, 10:47 PM
Master Modeler

Yes, that's the one. I assume it was the 1974 catalog because that's when I got mine, but it could have been used for a few years.

I notice that the catalog says that FSI motors are "distributed" by Reese Industries.

FSI did have a few adverts in the NAR magazine of that time, but they were pretty sparse and the company was kind of under the radar.

I bought an OSO and a pack of D6 motors around 1975. I still have a couple of the goofy red and white boxes that the 21mm A-D motors came in. Someday I'll scan them.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:18 AM
I wish I was a spaceman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz

Trying to understand why George Roos sold(?) and moved FSI to Raytown and the Reese's.

terry dean
nar 16158

I remember reading that the Reese family wanted to buy an Estes distributorship but they wanted too much money up front. Roos gave them a much better deal and the Reese's were more agresive salesmen (sorry salepersons) than George. I think Roos sold the company and retired, can't say that for sure.

You Can't break the laws of physics but they can break you. Christine McKinley

Dale Greene

Mentor, Penn Manor Rocket Club

VISIT SPAAR
2010 Calder Cup
The Old West
2009 Calder Cup

" Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act. " George Orwell