Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > Wanted: Dead or Alive!
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2014, 08:58 PM
Rockets & BP= Happy, Happy, Happy

Default Need replacement for damaged Mercury Atlas BT

I bought a Mercury Atlas kit a little while back. The main Body Tube was damaged severely in shipping. Does anyone have a replacement they'd be willing to sell to me?

Dimensions are 3.4 inch diameter by 18 7/8 inch length. It goes to the Estes Mercury Atlas kit #2111

Please send me a PM.

Thanks,

David

NAR #96285

SoAR #503

My Low Power Rocket Fleet

Level 1 (2-22-2014) GRITS Winternationals
Level 2 TBD
Level 3 TBD
Old 03-28-2014, 07:53 AM
Old Submariner

I've built a few 2111's over the years, and unless the BT is VERY hosed it may be salvagable--especially since it gets almost completely enrobed with vacu-formed wraps, parts, and the chrome strips.

If you can size it interanlly to it's former shape you may be able to restore it's rigidity with thin CA.

Do you have a photo of the damage?

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 03-28-2014, 08:06 AM

Yea. I was just reading through the instructions and It even looks like some of the tubing has to be cut away. That's the only way I can see those three tubes fitting up inside the main BT. I was able to massage the tube back onto a reasonable round shape, but it still has a significant weak area and a sizable crease.

I'm having trouble uploading pictures to the forum at the moment. I'm using Google Chrome browser.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_20140325_194651_441.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  882.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_20140325_194707_991.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  598.1 KB  

NAR #96285

SoAR #503

Level 2 TBD
Level 3 TBD
Old 03-28-2014, 08:19 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Wow, the USPS managed to crush that sturdy range box? Did the seller or USPS refund any of your money?
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 03-28-2014, 08:46 AM
Old Submariner

It's nasty, but I've worked with worse BT's than that. If you haven't already strategized it, make the less damaged end the top (if there IS a less damaged end.) Orientate the marking of the tube so the longest of the vacuformed side pieces is over the crease. Ensure the CR's fit snugly to size the BT internally. AFTER the "guts" are inserted and glued into the main BT, if the top parachute compartment is still out of round laminate the BT on the inside at the crease with very heavy cardstock or a scrap portion of BT material that you cut away from the bottom of the build. Obviously, you'll want to stop laminating the ID before the insertion point of the vacu-fomed transition section.

I think it's completely salvagable. Good luck!

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 03-28-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Wow, the USPS managed to crush that sturdy range box? Did the seller or USPS refund any of your money?

USPS crushed that range box and the shipping box like it was nothing. The seller did offer to refund my money, he said he had 50 bucks insurance on the package, I told the seller I'd just file the insurance claim. The body tube is the only thing damaged, I didn't wants to get a refund and then have to sent the kit back to him. I told him I'd try and work with what I've been dealt.

I tried to do an online claim but it won't let me proceed online. I'm gonna go by the Post Office this afternoon to see what's up.

Thanks for the tips Jeefyjeep. I'll do my best. The most damaged end of the tube is so flimsy now that it's hard to get the alignment guide to position properly and stay round enough to make nice straight lines..

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_20140325_194609_586.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  793.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_20140325_194518_937.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  897.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_20140325_194506_199.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  570.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_20140325_194452_030.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  756.9 KB  

NAR #96285

SoAR #503

Level 2 TBD
Level 3 TBD
Old 03-28-2014, 07:26 PM
Apollo Nut

If you cannot repair this tube, you might could order one of the larger tubes Semroc still has and cut a longitudinal section out of it and rejoin with a butt seam and inside glued strip down the joint (taken from the section removed) to reduce the diameter of the tube to the size desired.

Somewhat tedious, but would result in a near pristine tube for this particular kit.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970

Last edited by Earl : 03-28-2014 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Spellin'
Old 03-28-2014, 09:42 PM
Old Submariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronot
USPS crushed that range box and the shipping box like it was nothing. The seller did offer to refund my money, he said he had 50 bucks insurance on the package, I told the seller I'd just file the insurance claim. The body tube is the only thing damaged, I didn't wants to get a refund and then have to sent the kit back to him. I told him I'd try and work with what I've been dealt.

I tried to do an online claim but it won't let me proceed online. I'm gonna go by the Post Office this afternoon to see what's up.

Thanks for the tips Jeefyjeep. I'll do my best. The most damaged end of the tube is so flimsy now that it's hard to get the alignment guide to position properly and stay round enough to make nice straight lines..

David

You're welcome. That's aweful what the USPS did to that box, but I'm going to surmise that the seller didn't place the kit's box inside a MUCH larger box for shipping.

When I sell a kit--whether a new one or a vintage kit--I try to make it gorilla-proof. Double and sometimes triple boxing.
NO ONE wants to receive damaged stuff!

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078