Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2014, 10:43 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Ascender two stage launch

I was at a launch near Tri-Cities yesterday, and I took the opportunity to try out the Pro Series II booster on my Ascender. I really wasn't sure how this rocket would behave as a two stager, and I noted how heavy it was when loaded with 2 BP F15 motors. The LCO said it would be a slow liftoff. He was right. Here's a video link:

http://youtu.be/FGz38Btx9JY

It was a fun launch day with many interesting rockets. I launched 4 myself, the others being a Partizon on G64-7W and SLS Javelin on E18-7W - a great little motor for this rocket.

Lastly, I launched my veteran Taser Twin on B6-0/A8-3. The wind speed had been increasing as the day went on so I chickened out on the planned B/B launch. The TT booster had part of a fin sheared off - just the leading edge - so now I am in the process of mending it. I don't have the lost fin fragment, so I'm using some 1/8" thick balsa from scraps I have at home. I built this kit 3 years ago before I learned that spray painting was the best finishing method, so it was hand painted with a brush, the same way I paint plastic models.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Taser Twin booster repair.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  1.11 MB  
Old 04-14-2014, 01:05 AM
Master Modeler

Glad you joined the TCR folks yesterday.

I flew my Majestic two staged today (E16-0 to E16-6) at the WAC launch at Sixty Acres. Estes Altimeter aboard said 1212 feet (IIRC). It was a slow liftoff but a nice climbout. All in all a very nice flight.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 04-15-2014, 03:29 PM
Master Modeler

Ha! That slow lift-off was very nice! I liked it bunches. I find slow to be more enjoyable and better for viewing. That's just me, of course.

Sorry to hear about the booster fin chip, but it looks like you've got it in hand already. Hand painting your rockets is just fine—whatever you're comfortable with and pleases you. They obviously fly just fine! Good show.