Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver
But claims to be leader?

Quest is widely known as a leader in the beginner and education markets for model rockets

"Leader" does not necessarily mean "owner of the largest market share".

It can mean they lead the way with innovation or with some aspect of marketing.

Similar to the use of the French word "premier" in English usage in advertiz(s)ing which can simply mean they were the first to do something.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:53 PM
European Rocketeer

Ok I see, thanks a lot for this information! The fine art of marketing speech
Old 08-14-2013, 04:31 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

And as far as market share goes, they are probably #2. A distant #2 to be sure, but #3 may be just as distant to Quest, so they can consider themselves "among the leaders".
Old 08-14-2013, 04:32 PM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
And as far as market share goes, they are probably #2. A distant #2 to be sure, but #3 may be just as distant to Quest, so they can consider themselves "among the leaders".

Yes , they claim to be "a leader," not "the leader." I think that's accurate.

-- Roger
Old 08-14-2013, 04:42 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
When was the last time the "players" gave a rough estimate of annual sales so we can get an idea of ranking and the gaps? I have seen published reports in times of old of Estes doing $20m and Aerotech doing $2m. Makes me want to open a single McDonalds location instead. Anyone?
Old 08-14-2013, 05:56 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
When was the last time the "players" gave a rough estimate of annual sales so we can get an idea of ranking and the gaps? I have seen published reports in times of old of Estes doing $20m and Aerotech doing $2m. Makes me want to open a single McDonalds location instead. Anyone?

Good question, but since all parties are private corporations we've just gotta make SWAGs based on observations. The observation I make is that Estes is the only company that has much visibility in the general market beyond the hobbyists; that for every store that carries some Quest, at least 20 carry Estes exclusively, that Quest has some visibility in the education market based on trade shows; and that the only rivals could possibly be Pitsco in the education market and FlisKits in the general market. Everybody else, including our beloved SEMROC is holding up the rear. Quest + Aerotech may give Quest better economies -- I dunno. The new MPC might make a small mark with slick packaging and good distribution, but at the prices I've seen of their products, I doubt it'll be a big mark.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:58 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
The #3 company that produces black powder motors as well as kits may be Sky, but depending on their market size in their home country (China), I wonder if they might out-sell Quest?
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 08-15-2013 at 12:00 AM. Reason: This ol' hoss done forgot somethin'.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:13 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
The #3 company that produces black powder motors as well as kits may be Sky, but depending on their market size in their home country (China), I wonder if they might out-sell Quest?

Well, since Sky produces Quest's Chinese motors, they would obviously be at least the number 2 producer. And since Sky produces the parts for the new MPC kits...

But in this case, I'm really only talking about the north American market
Old 08-15-2013, 02:08 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Well, since Sky produces Quest's Chinese motors, they would obviously be at least the number 2 producer. And since Sky produces the parts for the new MPC kits...
That raises a question, then; what happened to Quest's planned introduction of 13 mm mini motors (which would be Sky's 13 mm X 55 mm [and shorter] mini motors)? Quest even offered (and may still offer) a 13 mm adapter mount.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 08-15-2013, 09:10 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
That raises a question, then; what happened to Quest's planned introduction of 13 mm mini motors (which would be Sky's 13 mm X 55 mm [and shorter] mini motors)? Quest even offered (and may still offer) a 13 mm adapter mount.

Same thing that happened to the 29mm motors Bill announced five years ago at NARAM-50. Economic situations changed, or they didn't change enough, to make it profitable to offer them.