Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2005, 08:55 AM
Old School Rocketeer

Don,

This is just a SWAG, so take it for what it's worth....

Without glue, try wrapping the wrap around a larger tube, say a BT-80. Hold it in place with some rubber bands. Now, let the thing sit for a couple of days. See if the plastic takes a set or springs back into its flat position.

If that works, just use progressively smaller tubes until it takes a set at the BT-50 size. A hair dryer might help to heat it up and get it to flex easier.

Later,
EV
Old 09-12-2005, 05:06 PM
Arley's Spaced Out Rocketry

I know this is not good for my business put if you first draw where the wrap is to be placed then sand the area so the wrap bonds will. Next mix up J-B Weld and smear it between the lines. Next wrap the body wrap around the body tube and use rubbing Alcohol to clear of any execs glue. Now use masking tape and wrap it tightly for rubber bands can damage the Wraps let dry over night and then remove the masking tape. If you have CA Excelerator it will help soften the glue on the masking tape so it can be removed more easily. Lastly clean the wrap and apply a small bead of CA glue at the joint were the wrap meets, then lightly sand joint.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:52 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Arley, EV .....thanks for the advise. Used a little of both. Taped the wrap around the tube over night to get a little shape to it. Then used some CA to glue down one end. After it set, slowly started wrapping around the body tube while wicking in CA. Worked great (as long as the fingers didn't stick). Now I think I'm getting somewhere. If it doesn't rain tomorrow, hope to get some final primer done and then a couple of coats of paint, about 15 oz of led for balance and hopefully a launch this weekend. Thanks again guys.

Don
NAR 53455
Old 09-23-2005, 10:02 PM
Master Modeler

Default Finally...

Well, just finished putting the decals on and thought I'd snap a picture before I launch it tomorrow. You can't tell by the picture but it's sitting on a vintage Canaroc launch pad .

Don
NAR 53455
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  100_0105.JPG
Views: 111
Size:  230.5 KB  
Old 09-24-2005, 10:45 AM
Master Modeler

Default Launch Day.....

Launched my Scorpion today. Empty weight of 4.3 oz. First launch on a B6-2. Got enough altitude to safely deploy and recover. Flew nice and straight. Kinda slow on the B6. Too heavy for an 18" parachute. Second flight on a C6-3. Much higher flight and still nice and straight. But still too fast recovery on an 18" chute. Next flights will have to be with a 24". Wish I had gotten a better lift off picture but couldn't tell it was blurred until I downloaded it .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  100_0112.JPG
Views: 92
Size:  310.4 KB  
Old 09-24-2005, 12:05 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Launched my Scorpion today. Empty weight of 4.3 oz. First launch on a B6-2. Got enough altitude to safely deploy and recover. Flew nice and straight. Kinda slow on the B6. Too heavy for an 18" parachute. Second flight on a C6-3. Much higher flight and still nice and straight. But still too fast recovery on an 18" chute. Next flights will have to be with a 24". Wish I had gotten a better lift off picture but couldn't tell it was blurred until I downloaded it .

It may be blurred, but that exhaust plume looks awesome!

Multiple chutes might also work (and look cool, too)...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 09-24-2005, 01:05 PM
Arley's Spaced Out Rocketry

It looks assume a beautiful Canaroc Scorpion, and I am sure that no one would disagree with that statement, You see the rocket dose look better with the panels on the rocket. I also noticed that you painted the panels and the inside of the Side tubes Black. I like it!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for the flight I am happy for you and I always wondered how it would fly with all the extras attached to the rocket.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:17 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arley Davis
I always wondered how it would fly with all the extras attached to the rocket.

Arley,

She flew great but there is an awful lot of weight in the back. Addendum to the instructions said it should CG no further back than the rear of the large body panel. I had to add about an ounce of weight to move the CG up far enough to be safe (balances about 1/2" in front of the pylons with a B6-2). But it's really stable and looks so good on the pad. But certainly would not when any duration events (maybe drag race)

CP,

Don't think I can get more parachutes into the body tube...... . But I really like the sparks coming off the pad....(might have to enlarge to really see them well .

Don
NAR 53455