Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2011, 07:43 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Estes Astron Drifter

At long last, I have finished up with an Astron Drifter kit that I got... ummmm, awhile ago I have long since lost the plans and specs on the bird, and I was just wondering what engines I can use in her. This is a big deal for me, I haven't launched any rockets since the early 80's, so I'm anxious to get one back in the clouds! I also have the Intergalactic Explorer Excalibur that I'm going to launch too, had that partially constructed and just recently got it all finished and decaled with a sheet from Excelsior.... looks pretty awesome, thanks Gordy!

Alrighty, any help with the engine selection for the Drifter would be most awesome.... thanks in advance

Gunner
Old 05-24-2011, 08:20 PM
Dazed and Confused

The catalog says 1/2A6-2, A8-3, B6-4, and C6-5. I would go with an A8-5 over the 3 as the modern A8-3 delays are very short, too short for the Drifter.

Take a look at your favorite old catalog for motor recommendations of other kits at this site, Ninfinger Productions: Model Rockets
Old 05-24-2011, 08:35 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
The catalog says 1/2A6-2, A8-3, B6-4, and C6-5. I would go with an A8-5 over the 3 as the modern A8-3 delays are very short, too short for the Drifter.

Take a look at your favorite old catalog for motor recommendations of other kits at this site, Ninfinger Productions: Model Rockets

Good deal, thanks so much..... "The song remains the same"
Gunner
Old 05-25-2011, 07:12 AM
Flying Model Rocket

Default Nice

Very cool...where are the pictures? I just finished one myself and had the same question about engines
Old 05-25-2011, 08:18 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robobud
Very cool...where are the pictures? I just finished one myself and had the same question about engines

Have some pics forthcoming.... been busy with school, then finishing up the builds between semesters, "the checks in the mail"
Gunner
Old 05-25-2011, 10:14 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Those catalog delays listed for the Astron Drifter are for long parachute duration, which is what the kit was designed for. Due to it being BT-50 with a boat-tail, if fles quite high for any given impulse level. If you want to recover it closer to the pad on a 12" (NOT 24" chute), use an A8-5, B6-6, B4-6, or C6-7.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 05-25-2011, 04:07 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep

Wow, just looking through some of the old catalogs, sure does bring back some fond memories.... if only I had some of the stuff now that I had way back when! I used to have both the CAMROC and the CINEROC..... (heavy sigh.) Look how far things have come though. The prices are crazy today though!

Gunner
Old 05-25-2011, 06:52 PM
Master Modeler

I built my first drifter over the winter, blue skill tag. It hasn't made it to the launch pad yet but it's first flight is going to be a 1/2 A6-2 with the 24" chute. I want to see it DRIFT.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:24 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott6060842
I built my first drifter over the winter, blue skill tag. It hasn't made it to the launch pad yet but it's first flight is going to be a 1/2 A6-2 with the 24" chute. I want to see it DRIFT.

Good deal! I'm hoping to launch mine this weekend, along with the Excalibur and a Comet I built awhile back.... hopefully it is still flightworthy I hope everyone has a safe and restful Memorial Day weekend, a special shout out to all my brothers and sisters in arms who have served this great nation!

Gunner