Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2007, 01:11 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thomas
I get it. Very delicately explained! This "cinching" would be avoided or at least less likely with a E9-6, I suppose. Apogee/deployment relationship on D12-5 should be a good indicator. For safety, I'll average a couple of D12-5 flights.

Bob

Mine isn't set up for E flights, but I flew it on an E9-6 anyway. As I recall, it was about perfect.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 01-11-2007, 06:18 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Well folks, its been fun. I am the proud owner of an ORION again. I can't even say what happened to the original back in 197? It wasn't lost, it was probably discarded by Mom & Dad.

Oh well, I have this one which means an awful lot to me, being built from a collection of parts and improvization. Very satisfying. I had to re-do the decals because in my haste to post a picture, they weren't fully cured and came out wrinkled. The second try was better as I knew I had cut and placed them prematurely the first time. They are now worthy of the rocket I built. Thanks to all for your comments that got me here, and the ORION pictures you sent to guide my hand.

Your ORION looks awesome! I've been poking around and thinking about buying Semroc parts for an ORION but I'm not up to shelling out the $$$ to Paul Graf for the 1B wraps. I still can't get over how you made your own wraps, those came out beautiful. Your balsa cone came out so smooth it looks like plastic.

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 01-11-2007, 09:47 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Mine isn't set up for E flights, but I flew it on an E9-6 anyway. As I recall, it was about perfect.

On the Orion I won at NARAM 13, I put a ST-8 in as an engine mount so I could use the 21mm FSI motors.

I flew it three or four times on FSI D4 and D6 engines before "losing" it. (It came back to me mysteriously, tattered and waterlogged, finless, with one pod, stuffed into my mailbox sixty miles away from where it was lost!)
Old 01-11-2007, 10:18 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Thumbs up Gotta get me one of those...

Quote:
Well folks, its been fun. I am the proud owner of an ORION again. [SNIP] Thanks to all for your comments that got me here, and the ORION pictures you sent to guide my hand.
(drooling copiously) *Dang.* Your Orion's absolutely *gorgeous,* Bob!

...Now you've got me wondering how much money I'd have to scrape together to buy an official Bob Thomas hand-built 21st Centuri (er, "Century" ) ORION.

Cheers,
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 01-11-2007, 10:41 PM
Compulsive BAR

Send a message via MSN to Bob Thomas Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Thomas
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
(drooling copiously) *Dang.* Your Orion's absolutely *gorgeous,* Bob!

Kind words from all, Thank You. Have to "let her rip" and make sure she doesn't R.I.P.

Thank you especially, Jay - (from the second greatest Centuri fan)

Steve - The cone was delivered in great shape from Carl. I gave a thined elmers wood filler scrape and sand, minwax hardener wash, then white glue shell. It paints smooth as plastic.

Just a note, the wrap was made from corrugated cardboard with one side peeled away. I cut it from a Chimney Sweeping Log (CSL) box and I have been searching for another similarly tight corrugation with no luck. That CSL was about $15 and I have enough for quite a few more wraps. So if you have a fireplace or wood stove, you get a free chimney treatment for the cost of enough raw wrap material for a few Athena, Orion and 1B clones.