Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2014, 09:23 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemech
I miss the Estes catalogue having every part for every rocket available individually.

This is true...

The only thing I buy Estes kits for anymore is the parts...

Later! OL JR
Old 06-18-2014, 10:59 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Course most kids, like my nephews, are ready to sit down and cry and don't know what to do with themselves if they lose access to their technology for more than 10 minutes nowdays... sad...
I'm seriously concerned about this. But it's not just kids. While there is a demographic distribution - kids are more likely to exhibit this behavior - they are not alone. Plenty of middle aged folks have succumbed to smart phone addiction as well.

I've sat in bars - social institutions - and more than once watched a couple sit at a table engrossed in their phones and not paying any attention to each other or the others around them - very antisocial behavior.

I'm afraid people are losing the skill of personal interaction (without having a smart phone as a medium).

When I was a kid, they used to say coffee, cigarettes and various other consumables would "stunt your growth". Well, the smart phone seems to have done that to many folks, albeit emotionally rather than physically!

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 06-18-2014, 11:50 AM
Almost shovel ready

We had a drive up window at our pharmacy in Denton where customers could pick up their prescriptions. One afternoon a few years ago a woman in a Suburban pulled up to pick up her prescription. I came to the window to make the transaction, but the woman was deeply engrossed on her cellphone, and gave me the "one moment please, I'm on the phone, raised index finger routine". I waited patiently as she flapped hers jaws.

Suddenly, another woman in a SUV pulled up next to her, heading in the opposite direction, also talking on a cellphone. Then it hit me...the two Soccer Moms were talking to each other! Rather than hitting their respective window switches and having a face to face conversation, they continued this lunacy for what seemed an eternity.

I may not have seen it all, but I've seen enough!
Old 06-18-2014, 01:15 PM
When Pigs Fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacklin
I came to the window to make the transaction, but the woman was deeply engrossed on her cellphone, and gave me the "one moment please, I'm on the phone, raised index finger routine". I waited patiently as she flapped hers jaws.
I may not have seen it all, but I've seen enough!

I was an entertainment supervisor at Sea World in Orlando for years.
On one Saturday I was reviewing shows.

I went up to buy a drink at a small Kiosk.
The vendor girl did the same thing and held up one finger for me to wait while she finished up her phone conversation. It was a longer wait than any of us in line would tolerate.

I got a name from her name tag and wrote it up in my report.
The report made it to the VP of Operations.
All cellphones were put away after that.

People obsessed with phones always use the excuse: "What if there's an emergency?"
You deal with it the same way we did before Cell phones took over.
Have your family call a supervisor, the supervisor will see you in person with any news that couldn't wait.

Now, let me get back to playing Candy Crush.
(I'm kidding, I'm too stupid to own a Smart Phone.)

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!
Old 06-18-2014, 02:22 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

With regards to interacting electronically instead of personally... I recall as far back as back as in the 1980s at university, people sometimes falling into such a behavior while using the computer (back then it was on the campus mainframe or minicomputer). There were numerous instances I was in the computer lab sitting at a terminal, a friend would log into the system, then start a talk session to ask "where are you" -- I didn't bother typing a response, as I most of the time could simply say (without having to yell or shout) "look across the table", "look behind you", or "look to your left/right".

Speaking about the topic of electronic world interaction causing "stunting" of growth in developing personal relationships... there is a hilarious (though somewhat unsettling) manga (Japanese comics) and anime (Japanese animated cartoon) that gives an amusing take:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WataMote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:43 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
This is true...

The only thing I buy Estes kits for anymore is the parts...

Later! OL JR

I sort'a miss the "old days" when you got a plain piece of finstock and a pattern sheet with which you used to trace out and cut out the parts yourself. That way you didn't end up "wasting" the included finstock as you you would with "die-crunched" or lasercut stuff. Kits like the classic Orbital Transport were great -- a decent amount of generic finstock and balsa nosecones (which would be easier to reshape into custom shape than would be plastic ones).

I did end up buying some of the earlier releases from Custom Rockets because they used same size tubing as Estes, and the balsa sheet wasn't "die-crunched" (printwood wasn't a big problem -- a bit of sanding easily took care of that).
Old 06-18-2014, 03:27 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by naoto
I sort'a miss the "old days" when you got a plain piece of finstock and a pattern sheet with which you used to trace out and cut out the parts yourself. That way you didn't end up "wasting" the included finstock as you you would with "die-crunched" or lasercut stuff. Kits like the classic Orbital Transport were great -- a decent amount of generic finstock and balsa nosecones (which would be easier to reshape into custom shape than would be plastic ones).

I did end up buying some of the earlier releases from Custom Rockets because they used same size tubing as Estes, and the balsa sheet wasn't "die-crunched" (printwood wasn't a big problem -- a bit of sanding easily took care of that).

Why do you think I love Dr. Zooch kits so much??

Later! OL JR
Old 06-19-2014, 09:16 AM
Skill Level VI

In the old days, the catalog sold rockets to the hobby market with pictures of the experience. Today, they sell to the experience market with a simple pic of the product. They assume, or perhaps have determined that the average customer lacks the patience to actually build a rocket, so certainly they are not going to read about each one. The old catalogs gave a better sense of the rockets in action, the new ones are static, and in my opinion do not serve the company well. I also recall that the older catalogs included the technical section., which is now a separate purchase. This all points to the fact that a small family business is intrinsically better than a corporate owned entity, Vern was interested in educating his customers and keeping their interest. Cox seems to be satisfied to sell everybody a couple of rockets.
All you have to do is initiate and propagate a combustive reaction between kerosene and oxygen and direct the resultant gasses through a small aperture in a nozzle at supersonic speed without blowing the whole thing up. It's not rocket science!
Old 06-19-2014, 10:42 AM
Almost shovel ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx Mayhem
In the old days, the catalog sold rockets to the hobby market with pictures of the experience. Today, they sell to the experience market with a simple pic of the product. They assume, or perhaps have determined that the average customer lacks the patience to actually build a rocket, so certainly they are not going to read about each one. The old catalogs gave a better sense of the rockets in action, the new ones are static, and in my opinion do not serve the company well. I also recall that the older catalogs included the technical section., which is now a separate purchase. This all points to the fact that a small family business is intrinsically better than a corporate owned entity, Vern was interested in educating his customers and keeping their interest. Cox seems to be satisfied to sell everybody a couple of rockets.

Now that man has the computer he no longer needs the ability to read and write.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:05 AM
Old Fart with Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacklin
Now that man has the computer he no longer needs the ability to read and write.

Judging from posts on the forums, grammar, spelling and punctuation are now optional.

NAR 31689