Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2012, 12:45 PM
Craftsman

If there wasn't Evel then there wouldn't be a Travis Pastrana and others like him. Seems to me like you have a lot of hate issues towards the guy.

Evel in a left handed way started the X-Games and all the stunts that followed. A lot of these guys today were still in diapers or not even born when Evel was successfully making jumps no one else could at the time. Today's bikes have a lot of tricked out gear so any stunt is possible and the chance of success is greater. A true stuntman or daredevil doesn't always have the odds in his favor like Evel and that's what made him the GREATEST stuntman that ever walked the face of this planet.

Another great jump by Evel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UBtaVgaw84

I would like to see any of today's X-Game riders try this jump with exactly the same setup I bet dollars to donuts they won't come close. They lack the skills and guts/heart to even try it.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:55 PM
Craftsman

Default American ICON

Old 06-11-2012, 02:09 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

More like today's stunt riders have enough BRAINS to know when something is hopelessly stupid to even attempt. Evel's most spectacular rides were the CRASHES. Guess we can agree to disagree.
I still say he purposefully BAILED on the Snake River jump and pulled that chute early DELIBERATE.
That whole deal was a KING-SIZED JOKE.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 06-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
More like today's stunt riders have enough BRAINS to know when something is hopelessly stupid to even attempt. Evel's most spectacular rides were the CRASHES. Guess we can agree to disagree.
I still say he purposefully BAILED on the Snake River jump and pulled that chute early DELIBERATE.
That whole deal was a KING-SIZED JOKE.
No, it was a mechanical failure of the parachute retention system. That rocketbike was essentially made by model rocketeers. They were out of their element in many ways. The outcome was "run of press".

Jerry
Old 06-11-2012, 03:26 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Bunk. Guff. Hogworsh. Phooey. Baloney. Horse-puckey. Rubbish. BS.
Not buyin' it.
He bailed early and yanked the deployment leever.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 06-13-2012, 10:12 AM
Certified Rocket Nut

Say what you want about him but he was an innovator and and an entertainer.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:24 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamous
Say what you want about him but he was an innovator and and an entertainer.

I agree 100% !!! He basically provided a type of entertainment that was not available at the time. He cornered the market and made millions on his niche. I don't see any of the current riders out there today who have a line of toys made after them or the following of fans that Evel had. Millions back in the 70's was an enormous amount of money.

You talk about riders today not attempting jumps that are out of their league. Well that's exactly why Evel Knievel made a name for himself. He attempted jumps/stunts that were or seemed impossible and that's why he drew the crowds that he did and got paid the money he did. In otherwise words he was a true stuntman and a legend!!

The only riders that are full of BS are the current riders today. They are a bunch of pansies and sissys.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Bunk. Guff. Hogworsh. Phooey. Baloney. Horse-puckey. Rubbish. BS.
Not buyin' it.
He bailed early and yanked the deployment leever.
If you simply gain-say the words of someone with first and second hand detailed information, there is little more to say.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:21 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Talking "(Dare) Devil in the Details"

http://magicvalley.com/news/local/g...c3468692c8.html

Daredevil in the Details: Jumping the Snake River Canyon

By Kimberlee Kruesi

TWIN FALLS • If Big Ed Beckley is going to ride his motorcycle across the Snake River Canyon, he has several hoops to jump through first.

The longtime motorcycle jumper hopes to successfully recreate Evel Knievel’s 1974 attempt to jump the canyon on his “skycycle” — or what was basically a large rocket.

While Knievel failed to complete the jump, Beckley says he has the right equipment and crew to make the jump possible.

However, when Beckley will actually attempt the jump remains unknown. Jumping the canyon requires the approval of multiple federal, state and local agencies. Acquiring the right amount of permits and agency approval takes time and money.

These are challenges that usually stump hopeful daredevils, said Twin Falls Mayor Greg Lanting.

“I always tell them ‘get landing approval first and then come to us,’” Lanting said. “We usually don’t hear from them after that.”

Knievel’s planned landing site is on public land, and his jump ramp on the south side of the canyon is as well, acquired by the city of Twin Falls in a land trade last year, Parks and Recreation Director Dennis Bowyer said in December. This means any new jump could require approval or permits from a variety of entities including Twin Falls city officials, county commissioners in Jerome and Twin Falls, the Idaho Department of Lands (IDL), the Idaho Department of Fish and Game and the U.S. Bureau of Land Management.

Approval also depends on submitting business plans and a clear outline of how the jump will be accomplished, Beckley said.

“It’s a huge business venture that must be done well and safely,” he said. “But I want to get this thing done in strides. This is a multi-million jump for me.”

IDL Area Manager Tim Duffner said he is contacted about 10 times a year to use the area as a landing site. Out of those who apply, three have attempted multiple times to acquire all the permits but only one has come close to getting everything, he said.

Usually, interested applicants pursue the permit process without getting the funding ahead of time, Duffner said.

“Once they get to a certain point, they still don’t have enough funds to complete it,” he said. “Nobody has that figured out.”

“Mad” Mike Hughes, another daredevil enthusiast, also wants to jump the Snake River Canyon. However, a lack of funding has kept him from scheduling a jump.

Hughes said he built a rocket similar to Knievel’s that has been approved by the Federal Aviation Administration. He hopes scheduling a test jump in the summer will attract sponsors.

“It’s kind of mind-boggling, looking back, I never would have done it again but I’m so far into now that I can’t go back,” he said. “No one wants to pay for it. We live in a different world where we pay for Wrestlemania and political correctness and everyone is a weenie.”

Other interested jumpers have included Robbie Knievel, Evel’s son, who attempted to set up a second jump in the 1990s, then visited TwinFalls in 2010 to announce renewed plans for another try. His 2010 effort also apparently petered out in the permitting process.

Despite the hurdles, Beckley remains optimistic that he will jump the Snake River Canyon. While he originally promised to jump the canyon on July 4 this year, Beckley now says the date remains flexible.

“Big things can happen, either good or bad, but I want this to happen,” he said. “I want you all to elect me mayor after I jump the canyon, not burn me at the stake.”
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Evel Knievel 01 Sept 1974.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  102.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Evel Knievel 02 Sept 1974.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  86.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Evel Knievel 03 Sept 1974.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  64.2 KB  
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 02-25-2013, 09:49 PM

I don't think the smoke enhances the visibility vs. the parachute itself.