Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2007, 12:01 PM
frustrated aero

Default Nozzle compare

Here is the business end of an F100-0 and E5-6
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0009LR.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  86.6 KB  
Get yer Barrowmans here
Old 05-13-2007, 12:05 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketguy101

Try sticking an icepick into the nozzle of the F100 and see how far it goes before it stops (I
think it's about six inches)...
Old 05-13-2007, 12:31 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
That's an awesome motor for your collection! I wonder what the "special purpose" was for these rare motors that was referenced on the label?

I suspect it was developed for government/commercial/movie uses, i.e., not regular high-volume production.

Bob
Old 05-13-2007, 12:45 PM
rocket dinosaur

The only thing I can add about FSI, is that it got its start in mid-1966 with George Roos.
I gather that FSI was a wholly owned subsidairy of PyroChem,Inc.

The F100 was actually an E48; The D18 was more like a D5: at NARAM -13 alot of heavy scale modelers found this out the hard way. FSI sold mislabeled motors for most of their history.

check this blast from the past :

From NAR R-38 February 1997 :

"FSI F100 Now Designated F80 Flight Systems Inc. has relabeled their F100 model rocket motor as the F80. Under the definitions of a model rocket motor (cf. NFPA 1122), the average thrust must be 80 Newtons or less. Both remain certified for contest use and general use as a model rocket motor."

Where these 1997 FSI F100 more or less identical to the early 70's original FSI F100's?
whats funny about this is, in the original 1967 FSI catalog the F100 is the F18.... if you multiply 18 by 4.45 it comes to 80Ns. But instead of it being labeled as an F800 way back then, it was labeled a F100.

I gather the F100 was just a modified skyrocket motor in disguise like the earlier Coaster F's were.

whats intersting to me was that George Roos(FSI), Irv Wait(RDC) and John Rahkonen (Prodyne) ALL worked at the UTAH ICBM plant(that was built there in 1955)where the composite motors for the Minuteman I were made. Whats interesting about that is George didn't make any compsoites till the Thunderbolt, John is credited with being the person who developed the SRB solid propellent (he was a propellant chemist at Thiokol for like 30+ years). Whats funny about that was way back in the mid-50's, John was already making composite EX motors... Go Figure! and of course, Irv Wait developed the 1st composite model rocket motors, the Enerjet. All 3 of these guys knew each other while in Utah. Irv and John are both still alive and kickin!

anybody have a 68-69 FSI catalog they would be willing to to post somewhere?

Terry Dean
NAR 16158

Last edited by shockwaveriderz : 05-13-2007 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:59 PM
frustrated aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
Try sticking an icepick into the nozzle of the F100 and see how far it goes before it stops (I
think it's about six inches)...

Close! I used a wooden dowel. Note the comparison to a Mini-Max motor!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_00021LR.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  79.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_00022LR.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  78.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_00023LR.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  86.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_00024LR.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  87.1 KB  
Get yer Barrowmans here
Old 05-13-2007, 05:28 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
Recently tried to fly my FSI OSO kit (newly built, I might add) with the F7-6 as part of the
NAR OOP motor testing program. Used one of my QuickBurst Hot Shot igniter for ignition.
But the F7 catoed immediately on ignition and made a nice, big fireball several feet off the
pad. The OSO was really toasted, burned to a crisp just above the fin can area. I found from
looking through my parts stash that I have a 27 mm tubing that can be used to easily repair
the OSO to look like new again.
Did you plug the nozzle? I heard that if you plugged the nozzle, they CATO nearly 100% of the time. When I started to just tape the igniter to the motor without blocking the nozzle, narey a CATO.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:14 PM
Master Modeler

The rumor about production being done at an old Nike base are true. A friend and I went there on the way back from LDRS in 1990.

We called the day before and got directions.

It was way in the middle of nowhere, at the end of a gravel road with a few farm houses on it.

There were a fair number of trees around. If there was a bunker or silo, it wasn't visible from the parking lot. There was one low, tan, 1950ish military building. We sat in one cluttered office and talked with Harold Reese while the secretary fetched our order of motors. He didn't seem very interested in LDRS or high power.

I remember that there was a framed copy of an article about the company from a recent AmSpac, or whatever is was called then.

Harold left after awhile. We asked the secretary if we could see some of the catalog models. I was curious about the official paint job. Yoiks! Real let down. I did a far better job of finishing and painting.

One other thing I recall: There was a display case with fireworks and rocketry memorabilia. Military rockets and some Reese industries things I don't remember the details of.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:27 PM
GET GOONY!!

As for the QUEST/FSI link:

FSI obtained the motor machine that once was owned by MPC/AVI. Somewhere , G Harry Stine had gotten his hands on the operating manual. Exactly what negotiations went on between G Harry and FSI, but FSI and QUEST both began selling 18mm motors that had appeared to come from the same motor machine. The MPC, FSI, and early QUEST 18mm motors in my collection all appear identical.

The next part is internet rumor, and I have no verification:
I believe that the machine ended up in QUEST's hands, and after an accident, it was scrapped.

Phred

GET GOONY!!
Old 05-13-2007, 07:34 PM
Retired Missile Technician

That's an awesome motor for your collection! I wonder what the "special purpose" was for these rare motors that was referenced on the label?

At the time that FSI introduced the "Thunderbolt" as a reply to the Irv Wait/Centuri Enerjets, the NAR did not recognize anything over 80 nt-secs as a model rocket motor. This is in part due to the years of work to just get model rocket motors accepted by the National Fire Prevention Association and others. I did get to see a couple of thunderbolts demo launched. Still, they were before (or in the case of the non-model rocket motors by Wait) or after thought on non-black powder motors.

Chas
Old 05-13-2007, 09:22 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketguy101

Dude, you're killing me. My head's about to explode from joke overload.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper