Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 05:03 PM
Master Modeler

Default NAR/Museum of Flight collaboration

This was in the latest Electronic Rocketeer which just arrived today:
Sport Rocketry's Museum

By Trip Barber

The NAR has just signed a partnership agreement with one of the nation's premier aerospace museums, the Museum of Flight (MOF) in Seattle, to make the MOF the official musuem of our hobby and our Association.

The Museum of Flight already has a nice display of a few of our founder G. Harry Stine's rockets. Under the new partnership, the NAR will work to identify and help the MOF collect a much wider range of the most historically important rockets, motors, publications, and other items from across the history of our hobby and the NAR, and to develop this material into a larger display, plus a permanent archive for historical reference by future generations. NAR and MOF also agreed as part of this partnership to conduct public workshops and special-event displays of current rocketry activities at the museum, as part of the museum's public education and outreach program.

This partnership is a step toward preserving our history that the NAR has been seeking for a long time, and that long-time NAR members Bill Stine and Pat Fitzpatrick have made happen after years of effort. If you have rocketry or NAR items of potential historical significance that you think might belong in the Museum of Flight, please contact Trip Barber or Bill Stine with a description. MOF has a collection process that could result in a tax-deductible contribution for the owner of collected objects, and we have agreed to serve as intermediaries to find and screen potential donations for MOF. The number one item on the collection target list is a full mint-condition set of issues of the old Model Rocketry magazine!

Interesting news, no?
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 11-29-2012, 06:39 PM
Apollo Nut

Wonder if there would be any way to transfer (at least on a permanent loan basis) Stine's holdings currently in the hands of the Smithsonian?

Guess we need to drop a line to Craddock and see what he thinks....

Good news though certainly. Haven't read through my email in box yet to see my copy of the latest newsletter, so thanks for posting here.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 11-29-2012, 07:36 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

We don't need to move collections, only double them.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:43 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine

Absolutely! I'd like to see collections in multiple locations, not just on a corner or two of the US. We have enough good stuff to put nice collections in KSC, JSC, MSFC, Kansas Cosmosphere, etc., etc., etc., and still have some left over for general aviation type museums.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:02 PM
NAR Lifetime Member

Yeah, whenever I feel the need to see a museum quality collection I'd drive to Huntington.

NAR Level 1 - 3/12/11
NAR Level 2 - 4/9/11
Old 11-29-2012, 08:20 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyT0001
Yeah, whenever I feel the need to see a museum quality collection I'd drive to Huntington.

We do what we can.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:16 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine

The reason I mention the Stine holdings at the Smithsonian is that probably a decent amount of his items represent one-of-kind artifacts that probably cannot be duplicated by anyone (e.g., the very first MMI rocket set off the assembly line in Denver, etc.).

And if the Smithsonian is not gonna display them (and I assume they are not currently on active display) then let's move them somewhere that CAN display them.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970