Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2006, 04:08 PM
German Model Rocket Builder

Thumbs up

Yes, welcome to the Forum

Would also love to read more either here or in Launch Magazine including historical pictures of course

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 12-13-2006, 07:36 AM
Knuckle Draggin' Engineer

I have three of the old Cold Power kits that I have not built yet. This is making me interested again. I'll have to see what options I have for fueling them.

Joe W
Old 12-13-2006, 09:41 AM
Craftsman

I have one I bought when they came out, LOTS of fun, but they need a very flat surface. Somewhere I have a video of it on a run. When I find it I'll post a link.

I think I paid $19.99 for mine. The cars are injection molded plastic and seem sturdy. They use a 13mm motor with no ejection charge.

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
How would that compare with the Estes Race Cars you see at Wal-Mart and Hobby Lobby?
I've never seen any of those and was thinking of getting my son one for his birthday. In fact,
our rocket club, the Challenger 498 NAR Section, we're thinking of having regular drag races
with those at our regular launch location, which normally is " car free" with the huge paved parking space we have.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:16 AM
Rocketaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Nolan
Hi!

I was the PR manager for Damon Corp. from 1973-1976. Vashon was folded into Estes. The cold rocket technology was abandoned when it became clear that freon was polluting the atmosphere. The old rocket cars were pretty flimsy for how fast they could go. I heard some pretty crazy stories when I was in Penrose.

I got out of model rocketry in the early 80s after building some quite large two-stage models with three D's in the boost stage, and a single D as the climber.

More stories later

Pete

Pete,

Please come back and tell us some good stories for sure:-)

Thanks,
Old 12-21-2006, 06:21 PM
I remember the space age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo
Would also love to read more either here or in Launch Magazine including historical pictures of course

Leo,

We interviewed Chuck Green, co-founder of Vashon, a few weeks ago, and we're still putting together a historical piece on the company. It will run in either the March/April or May/June issues. Among many good tidbits, Chuck says, "At one point, the New York bomb squad sent us a congratulatory letter stating that in spite of their best efforts they had failed to cause our rockets to explode."

Anyone with anecdotes about their experience with Vashon rockets should send me a PM here and we'll try and include some. (And Leo, send along some of those pics. Your cold power rockets look great!)

Mark
NAR #14464
launchmagonline.com
Old 12-21-2006, 08:08 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm0202

Anyone with anecdotes about their experience with Vashon rockets...

Did anyone ever ask their mother to iron Monokote on to the wings and fins of a Vashon rocket/glider?

I did.

Mom did a FANTASTIC job!

Bob
Old 12-22-2006, 01:17 AM
Rocketaholic

Default Very Cool Story, keep em coming

Quote:
Leo,

We interviewed Chuck Green, co-founder of Vashon, a few weeks ago, and we're still putting together a historical piece on the company. It will run in either the March/April or May/June issues. Among many good tidbits, Chuck says, "At one point, the New York bomb squad sent us a congratulatory letter stating that in spite of their best efforts they had failed to cause our rockets to explode."

Anyone with anecdotes about their experience with Vashon rockets should send me a PM here and we'll try and include some. (And Leo, send along some of those pics. Your cold power rockets look great!)

Mark

I Love the story, More, more, more...........
Old 12-22-2006, 02:48 AM
German Model Rocket Builder

Thumbs up

Quote:
Leo,

Mark

Fantastic Mark

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino