Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2006, 09:43 PM
Wasted away again.......

Default MPC Vostok

As I'm sure many of you here are aware, the plastic scale models that MPC sold in the early 70's, like the Vostok and Titan IIIC, are among the rarest of the rare. The ones that you do find on places like e-bay go for a small fortune.

If am I not mistaken, the MPC line of plastic and standard model rocket kits were incorporated into AVI around the mid-70's [please correct me if I am wrong]. And, the name Myron "Mike" Berganske was associated with AVI. I've correspponded with Mike within the past 2 years but I have since lost touch.

Here's my question - with reproducing the older kits of the 60's and 70's now being so popular [JimZ's website, SEMROC, etc] - does anyone know of the fate of the molds for the Vostok? I even recall an article that G. Harry Stine did for the old Model Rocketry Magazine that detailed the development and production of these kits. I just find it hard to believe that the molds have vanished.

Does anyone have any information on this?
Old 12-22-2006, 10:39 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

I can't help you on the Vostok molds but...

They are not plastic but the scale is very very close.

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...highlight=soyuz

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 12-24-2006, 08:34 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketcrab
As I'm sure many of you here are aware, the plastic scale models that MPC sold in the early 70's, like the Vostok and Titan IIIC, are among the rarest of the rare. The ones that you do find on places like e-bay go for a small fortune.

If am I not mistaken, the MPC line of plastic and standard model rocket kits were incorporated into AVI around the mid-70's [please correct me if I am wrong]. And, the name Myron "Mike" Berganske was associated with AVI. I've correspponded with Mike within the past 2 years but I have since lost touch.

Here's my question - with reproducing the older kits of the 60's and 70's now being so popular [JimZ's website, SEMROC, etc] - does anyone know of the fate of the molds for the Vostok? I even recall an article that G. Harry Stine did for the old Model Rocketry Magazine that detailed the development and production of these kits. I just find it hard to believe that the molds have vanished.

Does anyone have any information on this?

Many of the MPC molds made their way to Quest in '92, where they were used for a number of years before finally wearing out sometime in the last five or so years (you can see the wear if you buy an old MPC Tomahawk kit from Sky High Hobbies, and a Quest Antari kit from about four years ago and compare the fin cans). I kinda wonder whether the Vostok and Titan were considered part of the rocket line that was spun off to AVI, or whether they were kept by the plastic models group. Bill Stine might know where they are. Maybe even Ed LaCroix, since he was at Quest at the beginning.