Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2007, 09:07 PM
AA-ROCKETRY.COM

Default American Alliance Rocketry's NEW RELEASES

T2 MANUMIT - ready to go and the F17 PHANTOM - being "tweeked"... has a corkscrew flight (straight up) I wouldn't consider it to be unstable, as it flew the same on every flight and all engines...just weird at this point, not sure if it was assembly (as there was a slight oops) or what, but it has been modified and ready for second series of test flights.

added: Nothing to do with these two kits, just AAR in general... A recent review of one of the builds can be viewed here: http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=40497
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  manumit.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  42.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  phantom.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  56.7 KB  

Last edited by e-t-rocketeer : 10-26-2007 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:36 AM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-t-rocketeer
T2 MANUMIT - ready to go and the F17 PHANTOM - being "tweeked"... has a corkscrew flight (straight up) I wouldn't consider it to be unstable, as it flew the same on every flight and all engines...just weird at this point, not sure if it was assembly (as there was a slight oops) or what, but it has been modified and ready for second series of test flights.

In reference to the corkscrew flight....it may be the result of your twin fin design. Normally, the air would pass over the fins providing the stable flight. With your design, the air is probably vectoring at the fin tips causing the roll. Is it a fast corkscrew? One method to eliminate this is to add wing tips at the end of the fins. But heck, if it's not causing an unsafe flight, keep it. It adds character....
Old 10-22-2007, 09:41 AM
AA-ROCKETRY.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Is it a fast corkscrew? One method to eliminate this is to add wing tips at the end of the fins. But heck, if it's not causing an unsafe flight, keep it. It adds character....

Hard to judge something like that, I guess I would have to say approximately 2 rotations per 10'...relitively fast, but that's just a guess. Silly thing, I ALWAYS film my first flight on each engine and then review it later at normal speed first, then frame by frame, extreem slow motion, slow mo, and then normal speed again to inspect / break down / build up its charicteristics. For some odd reason I didn't take my camera for that launch!?! But as I said, it does go up in a straight line, well, as straight as a corkscrew can be anyway, lol. No wild all over the place stuff, same flight each time. I've intentionally made rockets do this in the past, but this was an unplaned even and it bothers me...
Old 10-23-2007, 03:59 PM
AA-ROCKETRY.COM

Quote:
F17 PHANTOM - being "tweeked"... has a corkscrew flight (straight up) I wouldn't consider it to be unstable, as it flew the same on every flight and all engines...just weird at this point, not sure if it was assembly (as there was a slight oops) or what, but it has been modified and ready for second series of test flights.

Simple correction successful! The F17 flies grrrrRRRR8!
Old 10-23-2007, 07:23 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Simple correction successful! The F17 flies grrrrRRRR8!

Inquiring minds want to know....how'd you fix it?
Old 10-23-2007, 11:37 PM
AA-ROCKETRY.COM

Pretty simply! LOL, not good enough of an answer? Well then, before reading your comment about the air flow I had already considered that (as mentioned in the original posting it was already modified but un-retested), so, looking at the design there is obviously no fins to somewhat redirect the air causing (excuse the terminology here) cluster frick of turbulants at the aft end. Simple cure was to add fins perpendicular to the existing ones... Now is has some small fins, and it being the style it is, I prefer to call them landing skids. It works for me! I guess I could add wheels, but no, this is sci-fi, and when you land and take off verticly you don't need no stinking wheels! As a bonus, they double as a great display stand as it sits as it should before liftoff!
Old 10-24-2007, 07:27 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Pretty simply! LOL, not good enough of an answer? Well then, before reading your comment about the air flow I had already considered that (as mentioned in the original posting it was already modified but un-retested), so, looking at the design there is obviously no fins to somewhat redirect the air causing (excuse the terminology here) cluster frick of turbulants at the aft end. Simple cure was to add fins perpendicular to the existing ones... Now is has some small fins, and it being the style it is, I prefer to call them landing skids. It works for me! I guess I could add wheels, but no, this is sci-fi, and when you land and take off verticly you don't need no stinking wheels! As a bonus, they double as a great display stand as it sits as it should before liftoff!

LMAO!

Well, I ordered one so I guess I'm going to have to decide on the landing skids or the roll....
Old 10-24-2007, 11:21 PM
AA-ROCKETRY.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
LMAO!

Well, I ordered one so I guess I'm going to have to decide on the landing skids or the roll....

Yup, I seen that, THANKS! It's in the mail, should be arriving Monday at the latest, more than likely Saturday. Ya know...I just gotta say it, "I'm watchin out for the cheap SOB's"....LMAO! (he said in a joking mannor)
Old 10-25-2007, 07:25 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Yup, I seen that, THANKS! It's in the mail, should be arriving Monday at the latest, more than likely Saturday. Ya know...I just gotta say it, "I'm watchin out for the cheap SOB's"....LMAO! (he said in a joking mannor)

LMAO! Yep, I should have went for the $6 rocket.....
Old 10-26-2007, 05:59 PM
AA-ROCKETRY.COM

For anyone interested, here is a link to the the lastest American Alliance Rocket review: M4 NOXIOUS Although I seen no mention of it, it was posted by a sweet lady (Charleine.) Further, I would like to mention that "eventually" this kit will be modified to a two stage model (for an option) as in the real NIKE AJAX, also there will probably be upgrades available for 29mm and possible 38mm applications. Although a 38mm is in mind, it will be some time before this transpires as the kit will have to be totally reworked to accept the added weight and stress it will be subjected to.

Last edited by e-t-rocketeer : 11-14-2007 at 09:15 AM.