Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2007, 03:51 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Send a message via AIM to NavyChief Send a message via MSN to NavyChief
Smile American Alliance Rockets

I have two of American Alliance Rockets rockets and it will be a toss up to see which one I build first. I have found no information around the net for anyone building one before. And no .rkt file anywhere. This is the first time that I will try to document and photograph the build, so bear with me. Most of the time in the past, I have built Estes, MRC and Quest rockets. I am a BAR attempting to rekindle my building talent. The two rockets from AA-Rocketry are the M11 Wrath and M18 Rectifier.

The Chief
Old 10-21-2007, 08:20 AM
Master Modeler

Cool! He is local to me and I am going to be getting a couple of his kits too...Looking forward to hearing/seeing your build progress
SAM #0396
BAR 02/07
NAR 86940
KF4GUL
Aim high, fly straight!
Old 10-21-2007, 04:51 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyChief
I have two of American Alliance Rockets rockets and it will be a toss up to see which one I build first. I have found no information around the net for anyone building one before. And no .rkt file anywhere. This is the first time that I will try to document and photograph the build, so bear with me. Most of the time in the past, I have built Estes, MRC and Quest rockets. I am a BAR attempting to rekindle my building talent. The two rockets from AA-Rocketry are the M11 Wrath and M18 Rectifier.

The Chief

Chief,

Before you start, could you scan the plans and patterns and provide them to Scott so we all have an opportunity to clone them? Thanks.

An Air Force Chief
Old 10-21-2007, 06:39 PM
AA-ROCKETRY.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Chief,

Before you start, could you scan the plans and patterns and provide them to Scott so we all have an opportunity to clone them? Thanks.

An Air Force Chief

What a CHEAP SOB! Want to take a couple of bucks out of a struggeling entrepreneur's pocket so you can keep it in yours... Both kits he's refering to are less than $10. What next? Ask for a discount on the parts also to knock off the kits? THE CHIEF MIGHT WANT TO CHECK INTO COPY RIGHT PROTECTED ITEMS!
Old 10-21-2007, 07:03 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-t-rocketeer
What a CHEAP SOB! Want to take a couple of bucks out of a struggeling entrepreneur's pocket so you can keep it in yours... Both kits he's refering to are less than $10. What next? Ask for a discount on the parts also to knock off the kits? THE CHIEF MIGHT WANT TO CHECK INTO COPY RIGHT PROTECTED ITEMS!

Well, obviously I hit a chord. I guess I should have checked the embedded link to find that American Alliance rockets he referred to was from an existing company instead of the company that I had in my mind that has been closed since the 90's. My bad.

For what it's worth, before getting so upset that you feel you must refer to members of this forum by names other than what they prefer (and I don't prefer being called a CHEAP SOB), please assume that perhaps they have made a mistake and point that out to them.

As for being a CHEAP SOB, I think if you refer to the plans section of this forum (which perhaps you haven't found yet since you seem to have only one post), you will find several plans that I've provided for others in their efforts to clone kits that are no longer produced. The aquiring of these plans is not cheap. Just check what some of these kits are going for on E-bay.

Yes, I'll admit, my bad.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:04 PM
AA-ROCKETRY.COM

Quote:
Well, I guess I should have checked the embedded link to find that American Alliance rockets he referred to was from an existing company instead of the company that I had in my mind that has been closed since the 90's. Yes, I'll admit, my bad.

Ok...i'll regress and apologize for my CHEAP SOB remark. But, the point being as you stated above. A folded business that long ago, would surely not have an active web site (which he clearly) had its link posted.

As you can see under the screen name, or by clicking on my home page, why I reacted in this manor... It's my POCKET, and I WILL DO EVERYTHING IN MY POWER TO PROTECT IT!
Old 10-21-2007, 08:10 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-t-rocketeer
Ok...i'll regress and apologize for my CHEAP SOB remark. But, the point being as you stated above. A folded business that long ago, would surely not have an active web site (which he clearly) had its link posted.

Accepted...and as I stated, my bad for not checking the embedded link (still not use to those). As a side, I've added your site to my browser links. Some pretty nice designs. Have you been selling some on E-bay? Some of them look familiar.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:44 PM
AA-ROCKETRY.COM

Quote:
Accepted...and as I stated, my bad for not checking the embedded link (still not use to those). As a side, I've added your site to my browser links. Some pretty nice designs. Have you been selling some on E-bay? Some of them look familiar.

Yup, I tend to keep a few on ebay, it's a cheap form of advertising. Although that's not the place to get 'em, as generally speaking, I raise my price on ebay to offset the extra cost incurred...
Old 10-22-2007, 12:17 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Send a message via AIM to NavyChief Send a message via MSN to NavyChief
Smile American Alliance Rockets

Ok, I did not think anyone gave a **** about intellectual copyrights anymore. But I guess there are a few out there like me who do. Yes, I did scan the 4 page instructions and when AA-Rocketry does not produce the rocket anymore, I will be glad to post the instructions to the net. I know all about the copyright laws through my job as a eLearning Developer in dealing with my PHP/MySQL, Flash, and 3D development. I did get prior permission to write up a review of the kit from the owner of AA-Rocketry. But I do know that I can not post verbatium instructions on the net until AA-Rocketry either goes out of business or no longer makes the rocket in question.

On a brighter note, hopefully something this week I will be able to complete the rocket and get a accurate evaluation of the kit up on line. Since I live in Oklahoma, it is anyone's guess as to when I will be able to launch it. It seems to be too windy to launch the small rockets lately. I have 6 other rockets that are under 20 inches in length that are waiting their time on the launch rod.

The Chief
Old 10-22-2007, 02:07 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyChief
But I do know that I can not post verbatium instructions on the net until AA-Rocketry either goes out of business or no longer makes the rocket in question.

Just a nitpick, but technically you can't even do it then, unless AAR releases the design into the public domain.

All of the plans on the internet of old Estes, Centuri, etc. rockets are violating someone's copyright. Just because Estes (which of course also holds the rights to Centuri) doesn't currently produce a rocket doesn't mean they never will, as witnessed by the bringback of many models recently. And even if they never did, they still hold the copyright to the design, which means it can't legally be posted.

Am I denouncing these plans being posted on the net? Heck no, I think it's a great resource, and feel it's up to Estes to protect their own copyright. But I do agree that anything that's currently in production shouldn't be on a "clone" site. This goes double for models by very small companies that don't have a huge income source. If Estes loses a few bucks in sales, it's really not that big of a deal to them, but for a smaller manufacturer, it could mean the difference between staying in business or not...

-Tim

Last edited by tfischer : 10-22-2007 at 06:27 PM.