Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > Wanted: Dead or Alive!
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2006, 03:32 PM
Master Modeler

Default Need an Estes Pro Series Jayhawk Nose Cone and fin patterns/instructions.

I have a partial kit but it's missing a lot. Someone sold a bunch of the nose cones on eBay sometime back. If anyone here won that auction I'd be interested in buying one (or two).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Romie
Old 05-03-2006, 09:18 PM
NAR #78048 L1 - Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rraeford
I have a partial kit but it's missing a lot. Someone sold a bunch of the nose cones on eBay sometime back. If anyone here won that auction I'd be interested in buying one (or two).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Romie

Hi Romie;

I have an open kit. I can't part with the nose, but I can provide a copy of the instructions if you need them - just let me know.
YORF #003
SAM #004
Old 05-03-2006, 09:49 PM
BP Mafia

See if Sandman can make you a balsa cone.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 05-04-2006, 08:58 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
I have an open kit. I can't part with the nose, but I can provide a copy of the instructions if you need them - just let me know.

John,

Thanks. What I need as much as the instructions are the fin patterns et al. I can make the nose cone myself but I'd like to get a plastic one. I guess I 'll have to keep scouring eBay.

LMK what I need to do. I can send you postage or whatever.

Thanks.

Romie
Old 05-04-2006, 09:29 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brohm
Hi Romie;

If you do scans, you know where else to send them.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 05-04-2006, 03:29 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

I have my Jayhawk about 85% done ( for the past 6-7 years, lol ), should be getting to it sometime....

Don't have the kit right here at the apartment ( stashed with the bulk of my stuff at my dad's shop ), but ,iirc, that's 2.5" dia ??

I recall seeing al those cones on Ebay , and did score one lot myself, but no 2.5" - two 3" including the Pro Patriot cone I will be using for a nice clone, and a 4" Patriot cone (short ogive), also got a third cone, another 3" OD, longer than the Patriot cone.

You might be able to turn up a partial or busted up Maqxi-Force or Impulse kit, if that's the same dia as the Jayhawk cone ? - although would not have th emolded -in bases for the antennae.

if you;re mising the fins, and the cone, doesn't sound like you got much of the kit, other than the decals and the vacuum farmed parts - if it were me ( and building it as a nice, flyable, bird - as opposed to a 'collector item' ) - I'd grab some LOC 3" tubing and cone, get the fin patterns from someone,a nd use the vacu-form pieces and decals, the .1" OD difference should not show up enough to look out of place, or affect decal palcement, I don;t think .
( will see if I can help with fin patterns , but mine's builtup, so would have to trace em :-(

~ AL
Old 05-04-2006, 04:26 PM
Master Modeler

I got it at a garage sale. What was left of the Jayhawk kit was buried in the kit box with a bunch of other rocket stuff. I didn't even realize it was a Jayhawk kit box until I came upon the wrap that went around the box when it was new.

The seller shrugged when I asked about the other parts and said they were used for another project...basically he didn't know where they were and he couldn't be bothered to look for them. He seemed genuinely irritated that I knew to ask.

So I took what I could get. The whole box of cones, tubes, motors and misc other parts for only $5. If only that cone had been there...

Romie
Old 05-04-2006, 07:10 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rraeford
I got it at a garage sale. What was left of the Jayhawk kit was buried in the kit box with a bunch of other rocket stuff. I didn't even realize it was a Jayhawk kit box until I came upon the wrap that went around the box when it was new.

The seller shrugged when I asked about the other parts and said they were used for another project...basically he didn't know where they were and he couldn't be bothered to look for them. He seemed genuinely irritated that I knew to ask.

So I took what I could get. The whole box of cones, tubes, motors and misc other parts for only $5. If only that cone had been there...

Romie

Sounds like a find to me :-)

( and yes, since they packed those in surplus range boxes, no way to tell once opened, same witht he Honest John,etc )

wish I could find goodies like that - only old rockets I;ve ever found at flea market / garage sales / etc was a really abused Saturn V and a ( painted yellow) # 1227 Honest John ( which I;ve had for years, flown a few times and am finally restoring with Phreds decals,etc ) .

Considering the lack of cash outlay in the kit - I'd go with my earlier suggestion and build it off an LOC tube / cone, would still make a nice model .

~ AL
Old 05-04-2006, 09:47 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
wish I could find goodies like that - only old rockets I;ve ever found at flea market / garage sales / etc was a really abused Saturn V and a ( painted yellow) # 1227 Honest John ( which I;ve had for years, flown a few times and am finally restoring with Phreds decals,etc ) .

You've got nerve. Showing up here with a story like that and NO PICTURES!
I'm appalled. (Or is that apppalled? I can never remember.)

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 05-04-2006, 09:50 PM
NAR #78048 L1 - Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
Don't have the kit right here at the apartment ( stashed with the bulk of my stuff at my dad's shop ), but ,iirc, that's 2.5" dia ??

You might be able to turn up a partial or busted up Maqxi-Force or Impulse kit, if that's the same dia as the Jayhawk cone ? - although would not have th emolded -in bases for the antennae.

~ AL

While both the Jayhawk and Maxi-Force nose cones fit the Estes/NCR BT-25 (2.5") airframe, the two nose cones are of different lengths. The Jayhawk nose is 11.5" long while the Maxi-force nose is only 9.75" long. Obviously as Al points out, the molded features of the Jayhawk nose are also missing on the Maxi-Force nose. Short of tracking an available Jayhawk nose down, a modeler would have to make one for this scale.

The picture below compares the two noses - the Jayhawk at the top, the Maxi-Force at the bottom. Please excuse the parallax!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC01306.JPG
Views: 166
Size:  235.1 KB  
YORF #003
SAM #004