Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > RockSim Asylum
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2011, 06:56 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

RockSim used to download the new file into the "current RockSim installation" directory, but the last two or three versions have been stuffing them in another location...

Walk this way:

"C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\ApogeeComponents\Rocksim_9"

Then, tiptoe through these tulips:

"UpdateDownloads"

This is also the same general path that you use to update the CSV files. RockSim seems to completely ignore the old locations.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635

Last edited by CPMcGraw : 04-13-2011 at 07:03 AM. Reason: File path was getting a space in the wrong place...
Old 04-14-2011, 10:42 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Thumbs up "Oh, what a relief it is..."

(grateful whisper) "Thank you, Craig."
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 04-20-2011, 12:46 PM
Master Modeler

Question ????

Computers are Stupid......or is it just me. Went back and found all the parts file and downloade them to old compter and the use thumb drive to transfer to the laptop. Droped the part file into the DataImport file and Rocksim just seem to ignore them....WTH With no Semroc parts in Rocksim on my laptop I am sunk. What am I doin wrong??....Craig,.......anybody help.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907
Old 04-20-2011, 01:48 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Pierson
Computers are Stupid......

Computers are stupid. They can only do what a human directs and even that has to be in excruciating detail. Their only saving grace is that they can do the same thing over and over very quickly.

Bill, computer coach...
Old 04-20-2011, 02:53 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Pierson
Computers are Stupid......or is it just me. Went back and found all the parts file and downloade them to old compter and the use thumb drive to transfer to the laptop. Droped the part file into the DataImport file and Rocksim just seem to ignore them....WTH With no Semroc parts in Rocksim on my laptop I am sunk. What am I doin wrong??....Craig,.......anybody help.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

If the RockSim installation on the laptop is fresh and you don't care what's in the parts files that come with the installation, just copy the parts files you have with your custom parts directly over the files on the laptop, into the proper directory.

Very seldom does a new update version of RockSim have any new parts in the files so I usually just back up my files with all my custom and SEMROC parts, and copy those over to each new install to retain what I have without all the import hassle. (Back up the files in your laptop install anyway in case you want to revert back to them for any reason). Never liked the import feature with all the prompts to overwrite ect. so seldom use that feature. Either that or I update the files using OpenOffice directly and resave them.

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 04-20-2011, 03:09 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Ditto Steve's comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
...If the RockSim installation on the laptop is fresh and you don't care what's in the parts files that come with the installation, just copy the parts files you have with your custom parts directly over the files on the laptop, into the proper directory....

Also remember the new issue about the old Data and DataImport folders - RockSim may be completely ignoring these folders now, relying instead on the new folders located at:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\ApogeeComponents\R ocksim_9

Try blowing out the content of the new "Data" folder and inserting your custom CSV files before cranking the program up. The worst that can happen is you have to reinstall RockSim again...

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 04-20-2011, 03:15 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Computers are stupid. They can only do what a human directs and even that has to be in excruciating detail. Their only saving grace is that they can do the same thing over and over very quickly.

The only thing more stupid than the computer is the so-called documentation that accompanies much of the software we use. It is typically either generations out-of-date, or outright wrong, if it's present at all.

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 04-21-2011, 05:51 AM
Not so Junior

Default version 9.1.0f114

Looks like a new build again...

Changes for version 9.1.0f114
Fixed the simulation summary print process. The page margins are now working correctly.
Printing simulation graphs using File - Print or the Print toolbar icon now works correctly.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:04 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

That makes three builds in the last two months, IIRC...

I think it has to do with the switch to the new Qt library (4.7.1). They had been using 4.5.0 since build 9.0.4.78.

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 05-05-2011, 04:37 AM
Master Modeler

There has to be more to the foloder issue than the parts database. I downloaded the 114 update through a running version of Rocksim 9 and after downloading the splash is paresented regarding the updater will process when the app closes. Nothing happens after the app closes. When you start Rocksim 9 once more the previous version is still there.

The download of 114 is placed into the aforementioned deeply hidden folder; in my case:

C:\Documents and Settings\John Harding\Local Settings\Application Data\ApogeeComponents\Rocksim_9\UpdateDownloads

You can execute the update from this location as long as the application is shut down. What I do not understand is why the downloader will not install the update automatically? The Rocksim9 application is running out of C:\Program Files\RockSim 9, which I thought was defaulted in installation. I am not aware of making any folder location changes, so I am just perturbed that the app recoginzes a new version, initiates a web download of the update, writes the update file into the location, prompts the user to close the app to start the update, then takes a nap.
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."