Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2014, 10:48 PM
Black Brant & Congreve fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
No asterisk. The question was about the rocket in the longest continuous production. There is rather a large gap in the Ranger's run.....though it is currently available from Semroc.

Big Bertha first appeared as a plan in 1963 in Model Rocket News: http://www.spacemodeling.org/JimZ/mrn0302.htm

Indeed, I keep a photocopy of the "BIG BERTHA: Estes Industries Rocket Plan No. 13" sheet on hand to remind me of those halcyon days. The B4-2 or B6-4 engine was held in place by "wrapping tape tightly all the way around the outside of the engine holder tube, overlapping from the tube to the exposed part of the engine." What could be simpler?

Was CAR-ACF# S 337
Was NAR# 91049
Was SAM# 0323

Life begins when the countdown reaches zero!
Old 03-05-2014, 12:12 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuse Eh!
Indeed, I keep a photocopy of the "BIG BERTHA: Estes Industries Rocket Plan No. 13" sheet on hand to remind me of those halcyon days. The B4-2 or B6-4 engine was held in place by "wrapping tape tightly all the way around the outside of the engine holder tube, overlapping from the tube to the exposed part of the engine." What could be simpler?

In fact, that's the technique I use to avoid 'friction fitting' whenever it is even reasonably possible (unless stability or fin configuration completely obstruct it).

I set the motor block at a point where it will leave about 1/2" of motor casing exposed, then run a 'sleeve' of tape around it to hold the motor in. When you want to change motors, peel the sleeve of tape off and slide it out. No more pushing, pulling, yanking, tugging or jerking to get the motor out -- and no more crumpled motor tubes.

Back to the main thread, I didn't say the Bertha should get an 'asterisk' to in any way denigrate its longevity as a kit -- in fact, the 'asterisk' would be there to signify the Bertha design had actually been in the Estes product line longer than the name 'Big Bertha' itself.

At any rate I am gonna buy a couple more Berthas next year for its golden anniversary.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:22 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStarStar
Back to the main thread, I didn't say the Bertha should get an 'asterisk' to in any way denigrate its longevity as a kit -- in fact, the 'asterisk' would be there to signify the Bertha design had actually been in the Estes product line longer than the name 'Big Bertha' itself.

At any rate I am gonna buy a couple more Berthas next year for its golden anniversary.

In that light - agreed. BTW, the Fry's sale that has been written about here in another thread happens to include Big Bertha kits at $9.99. I've picked up four so far.....
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 03-05-2014, 06:29 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuse Eh!
Exactly.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:03 AM
Born Late Rocketeer

There apparently was no Estes catalog for 1965 — or at least neither the Estes site nor Ninfinger has one — but the entire lineup for 1966 was

K-1 Astron Scout
K-2 Astron Mark
K-3 Astron Space Plane
K-4 Astron Streak
K-5 Astron Apogee II
K-6 Astron Ranger
K-7 Astron Phantom
K-8 Astron Sky Hook
K-9 Astron Spaceman
K-10 Astron Cobra
K-11 WAC Corporal
K-12 Astron Farside Standard Model
K-12X Astron Farside Large Payload Model
K-13 Astron Falcon
K-14 Astron Drifter
K-15 Astron Sprite
K-16 Delta
K-17 Aerobee 300
K-18 X-Ray
K-19 Astron Invader
K-20 Mars Snooper
K-21 Gemini-Titan
K-22 V-2
K-23 Big Bertha

Big Bertha's the only one that's been in every catalog since then. The item number changed in 1975, along with all the other K- and TK- items, becoming 1223. In 1986 it changed again to 1948 and the kit was described as "Newly updated with new decor, gigantic decal and die-cut fins". Other similar modifications along the way haven't been accompanied by an item number change; as of the 2014 catalog it's still 1948.

2000 was the bottleneck year. By my count there were only 26 non RTF, non E2X kits in the catalog — down from 59 in the previous (1998) catalog — but item 1948 was one of them.
Syracuse Rocket Club

http://richsrockets.wordpress.com