Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2015, 05:45 PM
Dazed and Confused

Jerry, that looks like a business area or a school where the Mike Smalley's pic was taken. Do you remember what was there at the time?

As for modern amateur rocketry, hydrogen peroxide has to be around 90% to self decompose as a monopropellant and distilling it is very dangerous. How are they going about getting it, or are they distilling themselves? You can get about 30-35% from beauty shops and supply houses that cater to school chem labs, etc. I don't know if there are more pure industrial sources.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:29 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

A friend of mine is distilling hydrogen peroxide and getting over 90%. He is also working on a rocket backpack. And because life is apparently just too mundane most of the time, he also is a pyrotechnician and has built and lofted 48" homemade shells. Ten years ago I fired off his 24" shell at Pawnee Grasslands, and I thought that was big. I was a bit nervous driving with him with that thing in the back of his SUV ...

I wanted to go PGI show with him (Protechnics Guild International) but had conflicting plans. I didn't hear about any disasters so I assume he survived ...

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 08-18-2015, 08:06 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

The pic was taken at Claremont High school looking toward Cahuilla park along Indian Hill Blvd. Google it.

The HTP I use is 86% and is commercially manufactured for me and the Air Force by FMC. However I also have a manufacturing method my firm developed for the larger HTP rocket we designed which uses tens of tons per flight. That distiller will be installed at the launch site. I have purchased up to 95% HTP but the benefits are not impressive. At 86% I get an ISP of 113 from a monopropellant motor and 240 from a HTP-HTPB motor so that is close enough to stoich for me. DARPA was impressed.

PGI rocks but I went to a practice shoot for R&D shells at Smoke Creek (next to Black Rock) and the 8 groups of teams literally shot fireworks all night long constantly. Every color, shape, style and some radical sh*t you had to see to even believe. All hand made stuff. They worked for months to show off to each other for a few hours. I got to see and hear it. Wow.

Then the sun rose and we shot big as* rockets. That was a good day.

Jerry

cite:
https://goo.gl/maps/KhQN3
Old 08-18-2015, 11:13 AM

Default Enerjet rockets

I have several photos of Enerjet rockets I am posting today from the same 1970 timeframe.

The first one is a Nike-Smoke with I believe an E24 Enerjet motor.

The second one is an actual photograph of an Enerjet 1340 flying here with a FSI F100. The red fin unit is clearly visible. The lower section is painted fluorescent orange and the top section gloss black with a silver wrap on the lower end.

The third one is a Pterodactyl with a Nike-Ram size power pod. I believe this flight was with an FSI E60. The Pterodactyl is the best glider ever for high power boosts. I later even flew one with an H.

The fourth one is a Nike-Smoke, probably EJ E24, liftoff photo taken from lying on the ground under the launch rack. It felt safe to me!

Even though I properly sealed and sanded my rockets and painted them with considerable skill I don't recall ever taking photos of them when complete. I built them to fly!

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  CRS EJ 1.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  592.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  CRS EJ 2.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  697.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  CRS EJ 3.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  295.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  CRS EJ 4.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  638.4 KB  

Last edited by Jerry Irvine : 08-21-2015 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:49 AM

Default Ldrs-1

Large and Dangerous Rocket Ships 1 was held in Medina, Ohio in August 1982 and was hosted by Chris Pearson. I promoted the event heavily in my magazine California Rocketry as well as with mailings on my list, which was the only one in the world with people actively flying larger than model rockets or wanted to.

That list grew at its peak to a bit over 20,000 active flyers each occasionally attending launches during the year. One summer launch I hosted at Lucerne had about 4000 attendees! Very different from the "race to the bottom" so many HPR vendors report today. This industry could use 4x the business again.

LDRS-1 was quite a bit more modest with I believe 40-50 people in attendance and the largest motor flown was an IBCo H and I I brought.

Here are three photos from that event which were published in CRm, but here we see them in living color.

A photo of a USR Hi-Test 2225 with 3 D12-0 to 3 D12-7 with a Cineroc on top provided by Mr. Cineroc Herb Desind.

Chris Pearson with his Ace Mongrel (I designed it and Ace kitted it) which was finished quite nicely including Monokote, which was a bit of a revelation for me. Nice job Chris!

My favorite photo of LDRS is Chris Pearson recovering his Ace Mongrel from an Apple tree on the Medina farm. How unlikely a HPR rocket is there, then to have the typical kids dilemma present itself! Chris was up to the task of recovering the valuable bird.

NARWIN-1 was hosted by G. Harry Stine in Phoenix, Arizona. I forget the date. This photo is my F altitude flight with E60-0 to F100-10 which was within both the propellant mass limit and the total impulse limit based on NAR published test results. Almost everyone else was flying single stage F100 including Lonnie Reese. My flight set a world record at the time of 1041 meters (3414 feet). NARWIN-1 used misfire alley range set-up and thus there was never a line to fly and the launch rate was the highest of any contest I had ever attended. I used that experience as a model for Lucerne launches afterward with excellent results.

Jerry

cites:
http://v-serv.com/crp/CRm/10-82/CRm.10-82.htm
http://www.oldrocketforum.com/print...58&page=2&pp=10
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/prin...46&page=4&pp=10
http://www.v-serv.com/usr/kits/sonic160.htm
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  LDRS 1.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  1.42 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  LDRS 3.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  810.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  LDRS 2.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  936.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  NARWIN 1.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  1.28 MB  

Last edited by Jerry Irvine : 08-18-2015 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:19 PM

I have attached a photograph of the first HPR motor flown at the first LDRS. It is an Internal Ballistics Company (Tom Johnson) 38mm I200. It was flown in a U.S. Rockets Mega-Roc by Jerry Irvine. The I200 is a plugged, case bonded core burner, with an eroding nozzle, with a steel washer limiter. The thrust curve starts flat and the last 1/3 is progressive, which promotes higher altitudes and speeds. Not currently available from any HPR vendor. A technology that has been lost to time, politics and malicious rules making.

Just Jerry

cite:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 45
Size:  572.3 KB  

Last edited by Jerry Irvine : 08-19-2015 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:00 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

WOW !
Someone actually has shown TWO flights on FSI E60 motors that did NOT perform like a stick of dynamite on the pad.
I had about a 75% cato rate with those turds.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 08-18-2015, 04:16 PM

Default Terry White

I went to Claremont high school. I took flight school, AP chemistry and math, and had the hottest physics and chemistry partners on campus. I hug them at all reunions. I digress. I went to junior college at Citrus for a year to prepare me for the added demands of college. I took mandatory classes and for my elective I took Economics. My father was an Engineering Technology Professor at Cal Poly Pomona. I was of course expected to go there and take Aerospace Engineering as my major. He even signed me up accordingly. I was not consulted.

So I arrive to college ready to take the required classes, english, history, statistics, mathematics, and an elective or two. Speed reading and Economics. Cal Poly is on the quarter system. One quarter in I realized they wanted to teach me how to design airplanes not rockets. No way!

I changed majors to Economics, signed up for a track in marketing and business management, and took all my electives in AEROSPACE. I started my first rocket company. The first class I took was wind tunnel testing which was a 300 level class, but it was taught by my CRS mentor and friend Terry White. He had been running the Claremont Rocket Society for many years, presumably since 1965, and his NAR number 11184 was scary low like Trip Barber 4322. He was an aero god of a level only later to be proven true. I got to do wind tunnel testing with him and I got college credit for it too! I think I had so much fun I only got a B in the course. That’s how I roll.

The images I attach here are an ode to my mentor and friend Terry White. If I had to pick one guy in this country to give a prize to for service rendered to people and country, he is the selection.

If the data still exists for 3 station tracking he is the one who has it.

Grateful Jerry

Cites:
http://www.whiteeagleaerospace.com/.../j-terry-white/
https://www.linkedin.com/in/johnterrywhite
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  CRS TW 1.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  777.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  CRS TW 2.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  499.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  CRS TW 3.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  441.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  CRS TW 4.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  450.3 KB  

Last edited by Jerry Irvine : 08-19-2015 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
WOW !
Someone actually has shown TWO flights on FSI E60 motors that did NOT perform like a stick of dynamite on the pad.
I had about a 75% cato rate with those turds.
CA has low humidity and I am pretty sure no motor lasted longer than 2 months.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:16 PM

I think it is helpful to post why these things get so much attention on this site. The Enerjet 2250, 2650 and 1340 kits were exceptionally rare to the point where only 2% of model rocketeers were aware of them when they were available and only 5% of those obtained them. That makes them unobtanium.

The E24, F52 and F67 motors were mass market. The G76 and D21 were unobtanium.

Enerjet was a subsidiary of Centuri, one of the top 2 model rocket manufacturers, and to those who forget had "mindshare" with over 50% of the national population, albeit only 5% actually had first hand contact, especially in schools and recreation programs. Kinda like most brands today.

In the early 70's, Claremont Rocket Society and Covina Rocket Society and MIT RocSoc were the largest and most prominent clubs according to Parks and Recreation Magazine.

The fact government sponsored organizations have exemptions from many regulations still exists today.