Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Master Modeler

Ah, the LTV Scout; I have that model (still "in-the-bag") and will maybe make it my next build project.

About the Maxi-Brute STAR WARS X-Wing, I wrote an EMRR product review on mine. Used it
for the Future Scale/Science Fiction NAR Contest event at JSC back in 2005, only that I went
a little "further" as far as power. Added four A10-PT's to supplement the D12. You can read
what happened in my EMRR writeup.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_6752_sized.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  66.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_6755_sized.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  70.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  100B2470a_sized.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  46.8 KB  
Old 05-01-2009, 05:41 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDorffler
Some of you know I created the LTV Scout several years ago.

Did you get any kick backs when the special effects crew for the movie "Meteor" used parts from the LTV Scout (not pieces of Scott) for their space based Russian nuclear missiles?
Old 05-01-2009, 05:51 PM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
Only when there were "Poopy Clay" motors. Mine all flew fine on good motors and I built and flew one or more of each generation R2D2.

The Death Star is/was insanely cool. Those streamers really look like the DS was turned into flaming debris.

I have a Death Star that I've flown 5 or 10 times, and I really get a kick out of it, as do onlookers. The prep is kind of a pain, but it's worth it. I've also got an unbuilt DS kit in the box.
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 05-01-2009, 09:17 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitflite
Did you get any kick backs when the special effects crew for the movie "Meteor" used parts from the LTV Scout (not pieces of Scott) for their space based Russian nuclear missiles?

Now I'm going to have to rent that movie to see myself on the big screen!
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 05-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Jerry,

Mike was obviously talking about the model rocket version, not the actual launch vehicle.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 05-01-2009, 09:23 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitflite

Maybe it should have been renamed "Blowmolds From Outer Space".
Old 05-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Jerry,

Mike was obviously talking about the model rocket version, not the actual launch vehicle.

now boys, behave yourselves......please repeat several times, "it's only a model rocket"......
Old 05-01-2009, 09:29 PM
7/21/61

Mike,

Can you tell us a bit about the discussions of which old models to bring back?

Some of the choices seem like no-brainers (Interceptor, Red Max) but others left me scratching my head (Neon).

In a related vein, does Estes maintain a list of how many of the old kits were produced and sales data for each?
Old 05-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Mike,

Can you tell us a bit about the discussions of which old models to bring back?

Some of the choices seem like no-brainers (Interceptor, Red Max) but others left me scratching my head (Neon).

In a related vein, does Estes maintain a list of how many of the old kits were produced and sales data for each?

Hey Gus, I seem to think I still owe you an answer from another thread. I promise to get to it. The reply is going to be lengthy, so is the reason for my putting you off this long. Sorry.

There was in fact quite an animated discussion regarding what Classics we should do. We at no point went back to see which had the most sales. We went solidly with our memories as to what kits the modelers liked the most.

There were probably 10 or 12 of us in the same room arguing what Classic kits were indeed Classic. The assembly technigues, (boy my spelling belongs in the crapper) the decors, their performance, their styles, all had part in the discussions. Of course there was a level of personal favortism that entered into it as well.

But in the end I think you guys are who came out on top. You'll get some of the great designs both Estes and Centuri ever offered.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:59 PM
7/21/61

Mike,

Thanks, no hurry on the other question. I appreciate you want to put some time into it.

With regard to the bring-backs, you mention a group of ten or twelve people. I know some of the folks here have great knowledge of how Estes functions but I don't think most of us do.

Could you explain a bit about how big the company is in Penrose and give a general description of how the place works? I'm really curious as to how the group to decide such a thing as bring-backs would be put together and the kinds of jobs people do who were involved. To be honest, the only people I can think of there with enough historical knowledge of the company's kits would be you and Mary R., but I really don't know that much about the workings of the company.
Closed Thread