Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2010, 05:55 PM
Craftsman

Default Factory sealed collectable?

I came across a recent Estes release with a noticeable *bonus* inside.
It has an extra balsa reducer and an extra payload section tube.
Still sealed its probably not something to retire on, but I still picked it up for the next show-n-tell.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:11 AM
the middle-aged rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Timm
Still sealed its probably not something to retire on, but I still picked it up for the next show-n-tell.

Do you suppose that somewhere there's one missing the reducer and payload tube?

Last edited by jdbectec : 06-23-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Timm

Chris,

While baseball cards or stamps with errors can bring $1,000,000 (inverted Jenny stamp) kits with defects IMHO bring MUCH lower value.

I have seen people say a kit with the inverted face card is worth hundreds of $$$. Good luck getting that because I am not going to buy a kit for more due to an inverted face card, extra payload tube, extra engine hook or extra parachute.

Next people will be selling kits for more due to 'factory crushed tubes'!

THE saddest auction I ever saw on ebay occurred in the late 1990's. Some fool and I mean fool, spent almost $100 on an Estes Patriot kit (the big red white and blue citation version in the bag).

Now you might way, hey Dunbar, that is a great deal ... you again don't know WTF you are talking about! Hold your horses there Kemosabe ...

... this Patriot had a serverly crushed tube, water damage inside of the bag, and black mold growing on all the parts!

When I saw the auction close, that is when I realized that model rocket collecting is a 'fool's gold' effort unless you really understand what you are looking for and pay a very reasonable price for it.

What made me mad is that for igonrant non-MR collecting folk, any piece of MR garbage then had a value 50 - 100 times what it actually was worth!

E.g., I used to got train and toy shows for selling and buying. There was a nice couple who I recognised from other shows in the San Francisco area. Low and behold, on their table they had an Estes U.S.S. Enterprise. Main tube crushed in a 'Z' shape, the disc section of the hull split. They only wanted $75.00 for it!!! This was late 90's.

This is why I Hated all the crap bidding and re-selling that was going on in the 1990's. The shill bidder (R.C. initials) who would bid up a model rocket with ABSOLUTELY no intention of paying for it, then offer the same rocket from his collection at a lower price to foolish buyers outside of ebay on r.m.r.; oh and lets not forget the FAKE Centuri V-2 kits he was selling ... too much information in myy brain cells ... I need to somehow clear much of my memory cache.

He finally got caught but not before artificially skewing the market for model rocket collectibles; oh and I haven't forgot our friend North of the border who was engaging in the same ... NO not you mojo ... there was another who I won't forget who was engaged in the same crap. Right L.B.?

Oh well, if it makes you feel good and you can afford it, why not? Your dollars are going to wind up worth less that the toilet paper you use to whipe your ... lets stop here before I get banned from YORS like I did over at TRF

Jonathan
Old 07-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Craftsman

So Jonathen, who is "R.C." I mean what is the point of using initials? If you are going that far, go ahead an name names... Oh and don’t fain decorum because that is BS. If you are going to call someone out and point fingers, at least use your pointer and not your pinky.
TRA #11767
Level 1
Old 07-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo52
So Jonathen, who is "R.C." I mean what is the point of using initials? If you are going that far, go ahead an name names... Oh and don’t fain decorum because that is BS. If you are going to call someone out and point fingers, at least use your pointer and not your pinky.

B-52,

I can't use full proper names... why?

1) It would be considered slander and might get the post pulled or yours trully banned from YORS ... TRF ban was fine, but I like it here and want to get along

2) The message really is for the person who fits the initials... its just my way of saying that I know what they REALLY are and not to forget it

Jonathan
Old 07-05-2010, 12:56 PM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohetero-negro
Oh well, if it makes you feel good and you can afford it, why not?

That's really the bottom line.
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!