Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2008, 01:38 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Bill,

Looking at the pic of the aft end of the cluster-mount it looks like the centering ring above will block a lot of the ejection charge.

Have you ever used this style mount before? If so, I'm curious as to how much damage the ring above sustains, or if the motors eject themselves.

Not to worry. I plan to cut the blockage away before I fly it. I just included the pic because I wanted to show everyone how easy it is to get caught up in finishing something and overlook the obvious.
This has always been the cluster mount I've used in the past. I always make sure to tape the engines in, so I've never had a problem with a motor ejecting.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 02-17-2008, 03:33 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum

Not to worry. I plan to cut the blockage away before I fly it. I just included the pic because I wanted to show everyone how easy it is to get caught up in finishing something and overlook the obvious.
This has always been the cluster mount I've used in the past. I always make sure to tape the engines in, so I've never had a problem with a motor ejecting.

It should work even if you decided not to trim it out. I've seen clusters used to ignite a single upper stage with smaller diameter BT (similar to a Nike Hercules). Four D12 boosters at burn through should produce a considerable volume of gas to compare with three regular ejection charges. You go ahead and try it and report back to us.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:45 AM
TARGET GSTL!

Looks like I won't have to clone a S.W.A.T. after all! Just got this mint, factory sealed kit from Gus! Never had a chance to get one while they were in production. I know I'm making a big deal of it but I really love this rocket's design! Thanks again Gus! Build pics coming soon!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes SWAT resize2.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  484.1 KB  
Old 06-21-2008, 02:00 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

[QUOTE=A Fish Named Wallyum]<snip> I dragged out my S.W.A.T. and it got me thinking about what Estes could POSSIBLY have been thinking with this kit <snip> the recommended engines are C6-3 and C6-5. Granted, this isn't a huge bird by any stretch, but I'd think it at least called for a D. Anyone ever build one? Fly one? [QUOTE]

Bill, I just flew my S.W.A.T. on a D12-5. I had read your thread on your S.W.A.T. so I got out my S.W.A.T. put it together with a D mount. The winds here today were very light, 3.9 mph, it flew straight as an arrow, chute deployed, drifted about 75 yds from the launch pad. When I have help next time I'll try to take a few photos.

genimijim