Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2013, 09:20 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Anyone remember Krueger rockets?

In writing an answer to another thread, I was reminded of one of the lesser known "model rocket" companies of the 1960s. Does anyone here have any information about the motors or kits sold by the Krueger Rocket company?

There are pictures of a couple of their motors in the GHS collection on the A&S site, and I believe the old Rocket Shoppe may have a page about them, but I can find little else in my searches.

Anyone here have any information about Krueger? Any experiences with their products? Anything?

the Fireman
Old 12-05-2013, 09:35 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman
In writing an answer to another thread, I was reminded of one of the lesser known "model rocket" companies of the 1960s. Does anyone here have any information about the motors or kits sold by the Krueger Rocket company?

There are pictures of a couple of their motors in the GHS collection on the A&S site, and I believe the old Rocket Shoppe may have a page about them, but I can find little else in my searches.

Anyone here have any information about Krueger? Any experiences with their products? Anything?

the Fireman

Check Ebay, the original owner is selling some reproduction catalogs, there is some info there also
Search Krueger Rockets
Old 12-06-2013, 03:40 PM
Launching since 1970.

I found ads for them in the 1970's and I ordered their catalog. They had no motors by then and I ordered a bunch of tubes. They were poor quality tubes.

Quote:

the Fireman
Old 12-06-2013, 08:21 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:

the Fireman

I have a couple of Krueger's kits along with some parts and a plan pak. I'll dig them out and post pics this weekend.

Scott: Did I ever send you the plans?

S.
SAM #0031
Old 12-08-2013, 02:23 PM
Master Modeler

Guy's,

Can you post a site? I have never herd of this company.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:34 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

I don't know of a site for them. If there is one, I have not been able to locate it. Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe has a few misc. examples of Kruegar instructions, but that is about all I know of. The above listing about the e-bay offering for old catalogs has a little bit of information about them, but not much. Smithosonian Air and Space site has a couple of their motors from the GHS collection.

I first heard of them and placed an order somewhere about 1964/65, I think. I never saw a big ad for them. All I ever saw were occasional one colum ads in the back pages of "Popular Illustrated Modern Scinetific Mechanics" sort of magazines. I placed a couple of orders, and never dealt with them again. I was really surprized to find out that they were still in business in the mid seventies.

Krueger motors were never NAR certified, as far as I know. As I mentioned elsewhere, they used fired 16 or 20 ga. shotgun shells as casings, (the opening for the primer was the nozzle) and had no delay or ejection charge. The ignition system was a three inch piece of red fire-cracker fuze... (light with a match and run...) They went up, sometimes, and came back down stable, like a rock. One of the features of the kit I got is that it came with extra balsa nosecones. It had to. In spite of a unique spring "shock absorber," the nosecone would inevitibly be destroyed on impact. With them, a necessary range box piece of equipment was a "recovery trowel," to dig your rocket out of the ground after impact.

Krueger was a strange one. Really creative in sort of a warped way. Looking through one of their catalogs is sort of a weird "other reality" kind of trip. Sort of a picture of what model rocketry might have been like in a universe next door... a universe without G. Harry Stine, Orvile Carlisle, William Roe, or Vern Estes. Fascinating, but a little spooky.

I have some of their motors (we only used a couple of them...) and one of their kits, as well as a finished rocket built from their first kit. If I have the chance sometime, I will get some pics and post them here. I hope Sam, (see message above) is able to post the pics he mentioned. I would love to see any pics of their products, and read any experiences that anyone may have had with them. The Krueger story is a fascinating, if somewhat bizar, footnote to the history of model rocketry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazarus6660
Guy's,

Can you post a site? I have never herd of this company.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:24 AM
When Pigs Fly!

Here's the link to the Ebay listing of the catalog reproduction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KRUEGER-ROC...=item461618491f

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!
Old 12-12-2013, 09:59 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcmbanjo
Here's the link to the Ebay listing of the catalog reproduction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KRUEGER-ROC...=item461618491f

Interesting but I never heard of them either. Makes me wonder if they were a very localized store or if they tried to sell to the average mom & pop of their day. I lived in the 3 that were in Birmingham from about 1966 on and have absolutely no memory of them.

Randy
www.vernarockets.com