Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > RockSim Asylum
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2011, 01:53 PM
Master Modeler

Default Rocksim 9 Template print

Is there a way to supress the full layout when printing a part template? If for example I am printing a small transition the SW generates a print image which includes the center and radii required to generate the transition. Since the application has done the math to translate the forward and aft diamters and length to produce the template, why would I need to see the layout required to produce the template? Is this a plotting limitation or a simpler way to draw the template?
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."
Old 06-24-2011, 12:24 AM
BAR

WHen you can get the thing to print the template instead of just a profile!!!

I HATE that! I've checked everything I can think of and STILL only get a darn profile! I've done it before but I can't remember what I did to make it pring the template.

I get SO disgusted by that I usually just go to an online template maker tool and plug the numbers in there to get the template printout. Just easier than "messing with Rocksim" trying to get it to do what should be SIMPLE to do but isn't...

Same thing goes with centering rings on Rocksim-- I've NEVER had one print out with the center hole visible-- they all come out as gray circles with no center hole...

That's one thing they SERIOUSLY need to improve about Rocksim, and a big part of the reason I didn't pay to upgrade to Rocksim 9...

Later! OL JR
Old 06-24-2011, 12:57 AM
Master Modeler

To print the template (in RockSim 9) you need to ensure that the transition is not only specified as paper, but also as "hollow" and have a thickness defined. When you do get the print dialogue, make sure to uncheck all the Rocket Information except the parts and templates.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  transition.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  114.8 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Estes K-27 HJ Transition.rkt (8.7 KB, 115 views)

Last edited by jharding58 : 06-24-2011 at 02:57 AM.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:59 PM
BAR

Thanks for the tip... maybe I didn't have it set to "hollow"... I KNOW I set it to "paper" under the material tab... I remembered that much. Also have to check the "thickness".

That's the sort of thing I'm talking about... Rocksim should be MUCH more 'intuitive' about such things... easier to set up. They should have a tab or selection box for "print as profile" or "print as template", not have to go thumbing through every setting on the part to make sure everything's "Set just right" to get it to print the template...

Any ideas on the centering rings and why they end up as solid bulkheads with NO HOLES??? I've NEVER figured that one out!

Later and thanks again! OL JR
Old 06-29-2011, 10:56 PM
Master Modeler

Thumbs up

If you want templates for a centering ring, here's a way I learned a long time ago. Get a draftsman compass and a ruler and draw them out by hand.
Having been a draftsman in the seventies I shudder when I hear people who would be hard pressed to draw a circle accurately without a computer. By the time you get the program up and running, I could have your templates drawn and be opening a beer.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:27 AM
Master Modeler

Not sure why the template generates as a solid. This happens with native print and also as an exported component into Corel. I cannot see anything obvious in the component definition and this functions the same way regardless of the definition of a custom part or selection of a database part.

bernomatic - it is not so much dependence upon an application to provide the component outlines, rather that once a rather complex design has been completed within the application it would seem to be the preferred outcome that all elements could be generated on paper from within the application. In this case it was the transition shroud that was gamed to the requirements to match both the tube OD and the NC step while maintaining the correct distance from tube to cone. The issue of the CR generating as an opaque solid is just an aside.

By the way, nations have rulers.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:23 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernomatic
If you want templates for a centering ring, here's a way I learned a long time ago. Get a draftsman compass and a ruler and draw them out by hand.
Having been a draftsman in the seventies I shudder when I hear people who would be hard pressed to draw a circle accurately without a computer. By the time you get the program up and running, I could have your templates drawn and be opening a beer.

I got my drafting training in the 70's in HS, and the old-fashioned method always works in a pinch. BUT, if I want to set up a sheet of rings, the computer is priceless.

I prefer to use Corel Draw for doing my ring patterns. Simple reason - the output of Draw (CDR 10 format) can be eaten by Carl's [SEMROC's] Krell toys and digested immediately, without any pre-chewing. Draw takes a bit of getting used to and can be a bit funky early in the learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, you'll be whipping out ring patterns in your nightmares...

The computer has its place, it's up to us to determine how much of a place it has...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 07-02-2011, 11:27 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernomatic

Quite true... guess it's my laziness showing...

I COULD dig out the drafting tools but that's why I bought a $100 computer program...

Later! OL JR
Old 07-31-2011, 09:04 AM
Yet another obsessed rocketeer

Try spending money to become a ceritfied AutoCAD tech....THATS EXPENSIVE, but I can draw things that Rocksim can only wish to draw.

Ryan Leach
NAR# 87642
SAM #216
SoJARS NAR Section 593
Aerospace Education Officer
X-15 FANATIC