Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2007, 10:02 PM
BP Mafia

Default Todays flights

Despite a much later than expected start, (Sam had to work at 2:00, so I had to take him,) I still managed 11 flights. I flew the Custom Bullet three times on two C11-5's and a D12-5. Great flights and easy recoveries.

The Custom Lamprey also went up three times, but on progressively larger 18mm engines. (A8-3, B6-4, C6-5.) I can almost jump as high as the A8-3 got it.

I also flew the Super Sky Shriek twice on E9-6's, but you've already seen that. I did notice that it whistles during the coast phase, louder than the Mimi ever screamed. I'm guessing that this is because of the strakes between the fins, but what do I know.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper

Last edited by A Fish Named Wallyum : 07-01-2007 at 06:09 AM.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:07 PM
BP Mafia

I planned two more flights with the Semroc VF-261, but forgot the C6-7. (Long story.) I did manage to get it off on an A8-3. I was surprised at the altitude. Fairly impressive, much more so than the Custom Lamprey.

Another A8-3 flight was also supposed to be the first of three, but I ran into problems. This is Jay's Prometheus design that I primed in grey for the flight. Altitude was impressive, but the sound of the payload section rebounding into the fins was clearly audible. It wound up with a bent BT-5 in the payload section, a cracked fin, and another with a chunk out of it.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 06-30-2007, 10:11 PM
BP Mafia

The most impressive flight of the day came from a completely unexpected source. Some of you may remember the Flight Dynamics Zepher 5, but most of you probably don't. I've had it flyable for a while, but just haven't gotten around to the actual flight. Today I packed it with a C6-5 and let it rip. It flew incredibly well and quite high, a lot better all around than I expected. I had also planned to fly this one three times A,B,C, but I ran out of time.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 07-01-2007, 01:33 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Nice stuff, thanks for sharing. Good photos too.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:11 PM
Master Modeler

Nice pictures! Wish we could have that kind of weather here in the Houston area....
Old 07-01-2007, 09:17 PM
BP Mafia

Something else just occurred to me this evening. Yesterday when I flew the Super Sky Shriek it emitted an obvious whistle after motor burnout. Does anyone know if the original 13mm Shriek did the same thing and was given the name because of it? I'm guessing that the strakes between the fins has something to do with it, but guessing has never been my strong point.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 07-02-2007, 01:28 AM
Master Modeler

I believe you are right..I had a friend when I was first involved in rocketry who had a Sky Shriek, and it made that noise..The first time I heard him I was surprised and thought something was wrong..He must have read my facial expression and said something along the lines of:" That means it was a good flight"...

BTW, awesome pictures! I was going to go flying Saturday, but life's other problems/projects took all my time
SAM #0396
BAR 02/07
NAR 86940
KF4GUL
Aim high, fly straight!