Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2006, 10:47 PM
BP Mafia

Default Custom Sam-X

My son's class (that used to be called shop but is now called something unrecognizable) is doing a rocketry segment in the next week or so. The kids were allowed to pick from some level 1 kits that the school provided, or bring their own. Sam decided against the Alpha, Wizard, Hi-Flier, etc, and decided to comb through my collection of unbuilt kits for something more unique. After rejecting the Skywriter, Quest Harpoon, Cosmic Cobra, Screamin' Mimi and Full Moon kits, he decided on the Custom Sam-X, a rocket that I bought for him back in 2002. I'm sending him with extra elastic tomorrow, but I thought I remembered there being a problem with the stability of these kits. Does anyone know if nose weight was required for flight? (I know it will probably need masking tape to get the nose cone to fit. I just flew a Razor this past weekend.) I'm going to dig out a B6-0/A8-5 for him when the time comes to launch and I'm thinking that the problems may have been with the C6-0/C6-7 combination. Anyone remember anything like this or have experience with this rocket?

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 04-19-2006, 11:54 AM
Craftsman

Well, not really any help, but I do recall that most if not all reports on this rocket that I have seen (and there have been several 'cause I like the lines of it and was thinking of building one)have reported unstable to downright unpredictable flights. So, there is some issue there. And from your list that were rejected, I have had comparable if not dramatically bad results with my Harpoon, which I really feel is built well and CG/CPed correctly. Maybe just all those fins promote the weathercocking. Anyway, like I said, no real help, just reinforcing that there is some issue with the Sam-X.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:32 PM
Knuckle Draggin' Engineer

One of our Scouts 5 years ago built one and flew it for Space Exploration MB. It flew well on a B6/B6 combination. Then he put in a C6/C6 combination, except he put the C6-7 in the booster and the C6-0 in the sustainer with the predictable results. It went up a few hundred feet, tipped over and then the ejection charge lit the upper stage which tried to core sample the sidewalk. I checked the first flight sicne he had never flown a staged rocket before and he had done it right, so I assumed he knew what he was doing. After questioning him after the second flight, I found out that he was just lucky on the first one. He never realized the difference. Now I check each and every rocket before launch from almost all of them. The only ones who get a pass from me are ones I have trained.

Joe W
Old 04-19-2006, 03:16 PM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
My son's class (that used to be called shop but is now called something unrecognizable) is doing a rocketry segment in the next week or so. The kids were allowed to pick from some level 1 kits that the school provided, or bring their own. Sam decided against the Alpha, Wizard, Hi-Flier, etc, and decided to comb through my collection of unbuilt kits for something more unique. After rejecting the Skywriter, Quest Harpoon, Cosmic Cobra, Screamin' Mimi and Full Moon kits, he decided on the Custom Sam-X, a rocket that I bought for him back in 2002. I'm sending him with extra elastic tomorrow, but I thought I remembered there being a problem with the stability of these kits. Does anyone know if nose weight was required for flight? (I know it will probably need masking tape to get the nose cone to fit. I just flew a Razor this past weekend.) I'm going to dig out a B6-0/A8-5 for him when the time comes to launch and I'm thinking that the problems may have been with the C6-0/C6-7 combination. Anyone remember anything like this or have experience with this rocket?
Bill, I have no experience with this rocket, but on EMRR there are several user opinions that report stability problems and a tip that recommends 3/4 oz. of nose weight.
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 04-19-2006, 06:42 PM
Master Modeler

Looks like a old fashion swing test is in order here. Beside there is nothing your son will like better than swinging a pointed object around his head as fast as he can. Just keep him away from the house and trees and yourself.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907
Old 04-19-2006, 06:46 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRThro
Bill, I have no experience with this rocket, but on EMRR there are several user opinions that report stability problems and a tip that recommends 3/4 oz. of nose weight.

Yeah, I'm going to send him to school with a clay of nose weight. I'll give him some for the rocket too. I think it's going to be a schoolyard launch, so I'm thinking A8-3's when the time comes. I told him to tell his teacher that I'd take a vacation day if he wanted some help.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper