Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2007, 08:51 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I do. It just amuses me how little thought Estes put into some of the birds.

Sacrificial animals only get used once...

Estes got double-duty out of one basic design with just a nose job and some cosmetics...

Then there was the Photon Disruptor and the Proton Torpedo -- same idea...

Star Dart and Vector were simple models that flew well and looked good on the shelf. You needed to keep the power down to 1/2A and even 1/4A if you wanted to keep them. That was the problem with most of the models in the Mini Brute line and those that followed. They were more appropriate for upper-end Micro-Maxx motors than they were for low-end 13mm.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 04-29-2007, 09:42 AM
Cosmic American

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Sacrificial animals only get used once...

Star Dart and Vector were simple models that flew well and looked good on the shelf. You needed to keep the power down to 1/2A and even 1/4A if you wanted to keep them. That was the problem with most of the models in the Mini Brute line and those that followed. They were more appropriate for upper-end Micro-Maxx motors than they were for low-end 13mm.

I've still got this one, launched on an A10-3T! The streamer didn't do a whole lot for slowing it down, but it did help a great deal in tracking it, and finding it. We could clearly see where it fell, but once the other rockets in the launch cycle were done I had forgotten the exact spot, but after about 2 minutes of canvassing it was noticed by the fellow who had been crazy enough to fly a double C staged Hercules in a pretty small field in somewhat heavy wind! Man, that guy was a lot of fun... and he actually recovered the booster and payload section of his Herc, but not the main body!

RE: Two or One Piece Body: This one was a one piece, until I had to cut it open for 25yr old petrified wadding and stuck stick removal surgery!
Old 04-29-2007, 10:54 AM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Al,

Which reference do you have showing the Star Dart with two 3" tubes? I know Vector only used the 5.1" BT-5P -- I had an original kit, so that's a given. The plans I have for the Star Dart only show using a single tube. The scans for the 860 Star Dart match exactly the shape of the fins from my Vector.

The only differences I could determine between the two kits was the shape (and length) of the cones, and the decals and color scheme.

According to John's tube reference list on YORP

http://rocketshoppe.com/info/Estes_Body_Tube_List.pdf

having never had this kit, had assumed maybe a runing change ( ie: newer plans on YORP show one tube ) .

Possibly an error on John ( and co ? ) list, but would be the first one that's cropped up .
( and THANKS GUYS for the excellent and helpfull reference, I have it saved for use , and doso regularly when cutting tubes,saves running to each individual plan, or great for " what can I build with this tube"

Same list shows Vector as 5.0" ( and Pulsar, would have to measure my vintage builtup Pulsar, will do that today when out to the 'rents, if I remember ) .

Also of note is a 6" tube,as used on the Hawkeye and red Alert kits, so possibly Star Dart used a 6" tube in later years ?

hmm...

~ AL

note : double posting this in plans so as to get this thread back on topic and the Star Dart thread on it's own .
Old 04-29-2007, 11:01 AM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomoriah
Never mind the Vector... I LOVE your Bandito!

I'm sorting out the bits to clone one myself (both my originals are long gone) and I'm thinking light yellow sustainer with red nose and fins... I think I'm going to clone your paint job pattern, though, carrying the fin color around the body tube below the retaining ring.

I'd love to have a proper Bandito decal to go with it. I don't have a color printer right now, though.

(Sorry for the threadjack. Now, back to the program, already in progress...)

I had a vintage bandito back in the day ( one of TWO original Centuri kits I ever had back then, Centuri was just not sold around here ) . don;t recall how it was painted, but do recall losing it to a tree at my grannies, flown from small farm field out back, with mucho trees, lost my Wizard there on first flight, too.

The paint sceme is 'semi-catalog' , witht he solid 'ring' at back you noted.

Fins from cardstock were a pain - not near as nice as they photograph , I coated them with titebond (3-4 thin coats ), made them much stiffer , and easier to finish, however, they are warped some, partly from the coating, partly from installation.
funny how the ' simple,easy, clones' wind up being a challenge, lol ...

~ AL

umm.. on topic, well nice enough here today to fly a few maybe, but doubt we'll get to fly until the 12th club launch . ( Geneseo ,NY )
Old 04-29-2007, 01:33 PM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon

You're welcome!

Quote:
I had a vintage bandito back in the day ( one of TWO original Centuri kits I ever had back then, Centuri was just not sold around here ) .

Funny, that... I got into rocketry as a 4-H project. NOBODY around here sold rockets then, so I had to mail order. I sent a letter requesting a catalog to both Centuri and Estes the same day, and I got the Centuri catalog several weeks before the Estes catalog arrived. So, almost all of my rockets back then were Centuri.

Quote:
Fins from cardstock were a pain - not near as nice as they photograph , I coated them with titebond (3-4 thin coats ), made them much stiffer , and easier to finish, however, they are warped some, partly from the coating, partly from installation.

On both of my originals, I just assembled them according to the instructions. I recently cloned the Vulcan, and on my clone I infused the leading edges of the fins with CA; I see no warping in either of the clone Vulcans I built, so I intend to do exactly the same thing with my Bandito clone.
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org