Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2012, 02:31 PM
BP Mafia

Trouble started again with the Centuri Python Fighter clone. This was sold as a streamer bird when it was kitted, so I felt like I could go that route.

It flew on a Quest C6-5. Great engine for this little bird, but the flight path was pne of the screwiest I've ever seen. It was a big, slow corkscrew with the wind instead of wind****ing into it. Not sure if the odd wingtip fins have something to do with it, or if it was just a normal Quest C6-5 flight.

The recovery hit didn't look terribly hard, but the debris field told a different story. Figures. This one turned out nice.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 04-01-2012, 02:36 PM
BP Mafia

Last "flight" of the day was the Centuri Design Contest X-Wing. Pretty draggy, so I went with a C6-3.

Heavy sigh....

Scorched the primer and broke off a cannon tube, but no internal damage. Living lucky, I guess. Three legitimate CATOs on the day, two of them mine. I'm starting to get a complex.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Old 04-01-2012, 03:04 PM
BP Mafia

Video for the Nova SS flight: http://youtu.be/3bHsG7d_r3g

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 04-01-2012, 04:32 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum

Flight was almost exactly the same as the Viking 4 before it. Slow off the pad, big windc0ck to the east, ejection at apogee, and recovered like a bat back to hell on the 12" chute.

Was that a typo or did you really put that small a chute on a rocket that big?

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 04-01-2012, 04:49 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Video for the Nova SS flight: http://youtu.be/3bHsG7d_r3g

The skyward facing camera shows something interesting. Evidently the flight aerodynamics put enough stress on the camera/fin that it either stretched the tape and let the camera temporarily pull away, or the fin twisted. You can see the nose of the rocket move toward the edge of the frame as the rocket gained speed and move back to its original position as it slowed during coast phase. Looks like there was as much or more stress on it under chute than during powered flight.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Dazed and Confused

I like that Viking 4's fin section. The constrasting red and yellow allow the flat screen image to look more three dimensional, reminding me of Star Trek type warp nacelles.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:34 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
The skyward facing camera shows something interesting. Evidently the flight aerodynamics put enough stress on the camera/fin that it either stretched the tape and let the camera temporarily pull away, or the fin twisted. You can see the nose of the rocket move toward the edge of the frame as the rocket gained speed and move back to its original position as it slowed during coast phase. Looks like there was as much or more stress on it under chute than during powered flight.

I noticed that. I believe it was from the tape pulling away from the fin. If you look at the landing pic you can see one of the cameras laying buried in the mud. It was that camera.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 04-01-2012, 05:35 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Was that a typo or did you really put that small a chute on a rocket that big?

Bill

It only looks big.

I miss being SAM 0058