Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2009, 08:13 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by metlfreak
I wonder if we will ever see the rerelease of the mercury atlantis.

That's what Gus Grissom should have named his Mercury capsule.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:30 AM
U.S. Manned Space Program Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep

That's what Gus Grissom should have named his Mercury capsule.

Wouldn't that make Gus The Space Man From Atlantis?

Greg
Old 10-07-2009, 09:19 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregGleason

Wouldn't that make Gus The Space Man From Atlantis?

Greg

And Patrick Duffy would have played him in "The Right Stuff".
Old 10-07-2009, 09:55 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtschachner
It is somewhat of an urban legend that "all the blueprints for the Saturn V were lost". That's an oversimplification of the truth, but here's a good article about what the problem really is:

http://www.thespacereview.com/article/588/1

Kurt, thanks for the great info. That is an interesting article. I have occasionally had discussions on various sci fi lists with folks who think you can just stick all of human knowledge in a library and recreate an industrial society from it (context being colonization or post-apocalypse). There's a huge amount of art to any process which is lost when the practitioners are lost and is usually not recorded because it's not part of the "official" process. There's always something the workers know which isn't written down.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:56 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Walther
Kurt, thanks for the great info. That is an interesting article. I have occasionally had discussions on various sci fi lists with folks who think you can just stick all of human knowledge in a library and recreate an industrial society from it (context being colonization or post-apocalypse). There's a huge amount of art to any process which is lost when the practitioners are lost and is usually not recorded because it's not part of the "official" process. There's always something the workers know which isn't written down.

That is a good article. Most all of them on The Space Review are. What I found most interesting was the concept that really you couldn't - and wouldn't - build a Saturn V today anyway. At least not like you did in 1969 as this paragraph points out (emphasis mine):

Quote:
If NASA wanted to build a new Saturn 5 today, the agency would not want nor need the original blueprints. They would want to, and would have to, do things differently. They would want to develop computer-assisted drawings of the pieces, for starters. And they could build pieces lighter and stronger than in 1966. The plans, the blueprints that the agency “lost,” would not be all that useful in developing similar equipment using technology that has evolved and improved over four decades.

That's an ongoing problem with many old technologies. When our airline was flying DC-9 and MD-80 aircraft there were LOTS of components and "black boxes" that were designed in the '60s (and '50s!) that were a real bear to get repaired 40 years later. In many cases nobody - and I mean nobody - made the piece parts anymore. Many suppliers relied on cannibalizing scrapped components for the needed parts since no new ones were being manufactured. This also included many sealants, adhesives and insulating materials that just no longer existed. Wayne Hale mentions this in his blog post as well. It's quite a problem for NASA.

Anyway, slow evolution is the way to go and of course that's not gonna happen today. The world has moved on and the Saturn V was left behind forty long years ago. Heck I can't even hardly operate a 10-year old computer!
Old 10-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Craftsman

ooops hahaha I meant Mercury Atlas. I would have loved to build all of them as a kid, The Atlas the Saturn V and the Space Shuttle. I couldnt afford those monsters though, and Dudes have you seen what an Atlas goes for on ebay right now? Over $200.00