Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2011, 04:24 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Cool kits early on, but it started to go bad when I noticed that my Custom Razor had switched to stickers from decals. To me, that means a lack of attention to detail, and it turned out to be a sign of things to come. The lineup got consistently dumbed down, to the point that I didn't even bother to check on the rockets when I visited the LHS. I do like what I've seen of late, even though the new Landviper is a bit different than the old one. I'm not going to bust Estes chops for that, so I'll do Custom the same courtesy.

I liked some of the earlier kits and I like the new ones. Overall I like Custom for its reasonable prices but I wish they would go for proper water-slide decals.

I built the SLV, a cool rocket spoiled by stickers. One of the sticker sheet looks like it's printed on mailing labels.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:21 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
The lineup got consistently dumbed down...
Bill,

That was my impression. When I BAR'd and learned of the kits (at Hobby Lobby at the time as I recall), they were down to about 10 kits, and those were made from about 3 sets of parts. Seems like they used the same nosecone and body tube on about 6 or 7 of those kits. For example, the Sam-X and Aztec shared lots of stuff. Plus, everything seemed like it had been distilled down to the lowest common denominator. The shock cords were short and the nosecones a little loose; not at all impressive.

It is only thru the testimonials of others such as yourself that I get a different, positive perspective - mine was pretty negative.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 11-06-2011, 06:40 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Bill,

That was my impression. When I BAR'd and learned of the kits (at Hobby Lobby at the time as I recall), they were down to about 10 kits, and those were made from about 3 sets of parts. Seems like they used the same nosecone and body tube on about 6 or 7 of those kits. For example, the Sam-X and Aztec shared lots of stuff. Plus, everything seemed like it had been distilled down to the lowest common denominator. The shock cords were short and the nosecones a little loose; not at all impressive.

It is only thru the testimonials of others such as yourself that I get a different, positive perspective - mine was pretty negative.

Doug

I stumbled onto a stash of the originals when my BIL and I stopped at a now-closed hobby shop up near Akron on the way to NARAM 43. I bought the Stealth Interceptor, but could have had the Dynamic Carrier, Satellite Drone, Serval and Matra as well. I eventually chased all but the Matra down. That one has that strange 3 and 4 fin combo. For a while I kept a stash of Razors with me at launches to give out to kids who wandered over, but I lost my taste for them after they switched to stickers. I plan to pick up the new Landviper when it is available. I like the new look.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 11-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Forest Sprite

I suspect that Custom started to go downhill at the same time that the hobby did, in the mid to late 90s. Just prior to when the BAR phenomenon got going. Good for them that they even managed to survive. I am sure that if Custom re-released all of the kits that were in its 1994-95 catalog, they would sell well. But that takes capital, which probably takes a long time for a company of that size to raise, especially in the present climate. My local hobby shop carries a number of their kits. I liked the Land Viper from the moment I first saw it on BAR sites. I am looking forward to seeing the new version.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 11-06-2011, 10:53 PM
BP Mafia

As I mentioned earlier, I tracked down the Serval, Stealth Interceptor, Dynamic Carrier and Satellite Drone over the years. I've built and flown the Stealth Interceptor as a 24mm bird, killed it to death, then rebuilt it with only the nose cone from the original as an 18mm birds as intended. The Serval I built "catalog perfect" and flew earlier this summer when I took my niece and nephew out. The other two remain unfinished because of some bonehead moves on my part. I started the Dynamic Carrier as soon as I bought it, glued in the engine mount, then glued the fins at the same end as the engine mount. It's since been redone, but remains unfinished, mostly because every time I see it I FEEL THE SHAME!!! Ditto for the Satellite Drone. I was about to mount the ring fin when I realized that I had glued the fins on backwards. (The ring is at the end of the rocket instead of toward the middle as intended.) I was thinking about redoing that one also, but I've decided that this week while on vacation, I'm going to burn my way through and finish both kits.
That said, anyone know the size of the dowels in the Dynamic Carrier? They're the only parts I can't locate. (I'm pretty sure I used them for another project. )

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 11-07-2011, 05:35 AM
NAR #78048 L1 - Life Member

Quote:
That said, anyone know the size of the dowels in the Dynamic Carrier? They're the only parts I can't locate. (I'm pretty sure I used them for another project. )

Yep, Step 17 says to trim them to 15-1/4" to start. You may find that a little personal adjustment is needed on each one for a perfect fit.

In my case, I have always considered the Dynamic Carrier one of Custom's most elegant designs. I remember finding my first one on the rack at a LHS in Newmarket, Ontario, in the late '90's (something like 1998) and thought it was just fantastic. It was a great build, and like your Stealth Interceptor (which also is quite a striking design), I've killed my Dynamic Carrier to death. Second one is underway. And I should mention that Gordon makes a pretty good decal for it.
YORF #003
SAM #004
Old 11-07-2011, 06:18 AM
Not so Junior

Pick up the Equinox if you find it. It's a Mean Machine with a nicer paint job, and I flew the dickens out of mine on A T F12 RMS motors. The only bad thing about it was two of the fins had the wrong grain direction. Must of glued those things back on 20 times.

kj
Old 11-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Master Modeler

According to the Custom website, the new Landviper is not shipping yet and I have not seen it at my LHS. My LHS has all of their new 2011 releases in stock.

I do like the new nose cone but do not like that it comes with stickers.