Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > Wanted: Dead or Alive!
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2015, 11:40 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Wanted: Estes (K-56) Astron Alpha III

Wanted to buy Estes (K-56) Astron Alpha III #1256
This was the first rocket I had ever built when I was 7 with my grandfather. I came across the Estes Field Operations Range Kit that it came with but the rocket was M.I.A. Just looking to bring back those memories with him.

Specific model I'm looking for had matching red fin can and nose cone with white BT and black decals.

If anyone has an Alpha III they're willing to let go at a reasonable price, please let me know.

Thanks for your time,
Randy Weber
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  19.4 KB  

Last edited by Rweber130 : 03-25-2015 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:27 PM
Master Modeler

You can (occasionally) find them on E-Bay for around $25.

I bought a sealed one a while back for the nostalgia kick ... the fins are slightly warped (I am guessing that is a common issue with 35 year old fin cans). Should fly OK, but I have yet to launch it.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:08 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

I used to have one in a starter set (built). If you're interested I'll take a look for it. If I can find it and you want to pay the shipping from Canada you can have whatever remains of the set for free.

Joe
Old 03-25-2015, 09:04 AM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rweber130
Wanted to buy Estes (K-56) Astron Alpha III #1256
This was the first rocket I had ever built when I was 7 with my grandfather. I came across the Estes Field Operations Range Kit that it came with but the rocket was M.I.A. Just looking to bring back those memories with him.

If anyone has an Alpha III they're willing to let go at a reasonable price, please let me know.

Thanks for your time,
Randy Weber

Are you looking for a vintage Alpha III kit in that particular package or just any Alpha III model? You do know Estes is still selling them?

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 03-25-2015, 09:28 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Are you looking for a vintage Alpha III kit in that particular package or just any Alpha III model? You do know Estes is still selling them?

Bill

Yeah I know that Estes is still making the Alpha III, but I just can't get past the neon orange fin can and nose cone. I really thought they'd change up that color scheme by now. I think it looks terrible, but what do I know, I'm 32 now and its leaving me to believe I've lost my fashion sense.
I'm looking for the model Estes manufactured from the early 70's till 1992, I beleive. It had the red fin can and nose cone with a white body and black decals.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:55 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Here's the built one I have. You're welcome to the complete starter set if you want it...........just pay the postage.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  100_1829.JPG
Views: 45
Size:  380.8 KB  
Old 03-25-2015, 09:57 AM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Yeah I know that Estes is still making the Alpha III, but I just can't get past the neon orange fin can and nose cone. I really thought they'd change up that color scheme by now. I think it looks terrible, but what do I know, I'm 32 now and its leaving me to believe I've lost my fashion sense.
I'm looking for the model Estes manufactured from the early 70's till 1992, I beleive. It had the red fin can and nose cone with a white body and black decals.

The Estes Make It Take It kit has the red fin can, but unfortunately, the nose cone is blue.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 03-25-2015, 11:08 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Randy passed on my offer of the Alpha starter kit (see above) as he wanted the original colors on the rocket. But if anyone else wants it, just message me. Same deal, pay the postage. I could reduce shipping to $11 if you don't need everything in the box. Or, if you are ok with the $16.25 postage I could add some more stuff to bring it up to the 1 kilogram limit ( like an Estes Snapshot or an extra launch pad).

joe
Old 03-27-2015, 10:01 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
I don't feel so alone...but I still feel old. I can't think of a decor scheme of any current non-scale Estes kit that I really like, except for the older ones or re-releases whose decor schemes are unchanged (even today's "liveries" of older, long-lived kits, such as the Big Bertha, Wizard, and Viking, don't do anything for me). My sense of model rocket aesthetics just isn't in synch with what today's kids like. But that's okay, because folks like us help to keep Sandman in business, and his decal printers busy!
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 03-30-2015, 08:11 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558