Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 08:35 PM
Apollo Nut

Thanks everyone for your experiences and stories about the Centuri Akela.

We'll keep collecting any other experiences for another day or two to make sure other's stories are captured who may not have yet visited YORF this week.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 01-14-2013, 08:46 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Just so you know they are available

http://www.excelsiorrocketry.com/pr...p?id_product=82

http://www.excelsiorrocketry.com/pr...p?id_product=43

The decals are a half page each with 12 decals numbered 1 thru 12

The "Akela set says "Akela" and the "Viking" set says... "Viking".

The jpeg posted here doesn't quite show the detail but the decal is printed with a lot more clarity.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  akela.JPG
Views: 79
Size:  86.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  akela Viking.JPG
Views: 69
Size:  84.4 KB  

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 01-15-2013, 06:39 PM
Apollo Nut

Any other Aekla experiences or past owners out there?

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 01-15-2013, 06:43 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Any other Aekla experiences or past owners out there?

Earl

I've cloned one with one of my original Akela nose cones. I started another one with another original nose cone but never got around to sanding it. Does that count?
Old 01-15-2013, 08:05 PM
Paper Rocketeer

I was out of both scouting and rocketry when the Akela came out. However, I bought one of the 6 packs anyway. I remember building one but never getting around to flying it (don't know what happened to it or most of the parts. I do still have one nose cone and one fin set left. Might have to order some tubing from Semroc to build it. I thought it was a really cool concept - loved the fiber fins that you could put on any way - and you could build it with 3, 4 or 5 fins. Great rocket!

As a result, I've bought and played around with a lot of Estes Viking rockets. It's a nice kitbasher and a fun rocket to play around with.

As I said, there wasn't any rocketry in scouting when I was in there. I do remember, however, going to the '73 National Jamboree and seeing a booth by Estes there - they were trying to promote a Rocketry merit badge.

Greg
Old 01-16-2013, 08:20 PM
Apollo Nut

Default The Reveal: Akela Kit Give-Away

Folks-

I'm sorry I had to be a bit 'coy' with this thread from the outset because I did not really want to reveal, at that time, the true nature of why I was starting the thread.

Sometime back, probably more than a year ago, I obtained two sealed boxes of the Akela 8-packs and an open partial box.

I never had this kit in my younger days, but I knew some folks here probably did and, if like me when I was trying to find another copy of my first rocket (Centuri Screaming Eagle starter set), they probably would not mind getting a brand new one.

I don't need two sealed boxes of these kits and wanted to share among the YORF 'family' with those to whom it might mean the most. I knew I certainly did not have enough for everyone, so I wanted to try to find those that possibly had some meaningful experience or connectoin with them 'way back when' and give the Akelas to those individuals.

The images below show the contents of the box right after the shrink wrap was removed.

So.....for those who have responded to the thread above THIS message you will receive one of these kits.

Each 'kit' will consist of all the parts and one set of the original instructions for building a complete Akela kit: nosecone, bodytube, thrust ring, die-cut fin set, streamer, shock cord, water slide decal, and metalic decal.

I will keep set #7 for me to build. That will leave 7 other sets to distribute to those who responded to this thread (if I've reviewed it correctly that includes you too Sandman, even though you did not necessarily state you had this rocket before....you still responded to the thread).

NOW....there IS the matter of the 'partial' box I have and I'll have to pull it back out to review just what all was in it, but as I recall it was about 3-4 sets of parts, but no waterslide decal or metalic decal. There were also more fin sets than nosecones and bodytubes, so there may be some 'extra' fins sets for those who would like a set of those (these are the same fins used in the Centuri Vector-V kit as well, if you happen to want to clone that kit).

I will distribute THOSE parts to the NEXT 3-4 folks who respond to this thread (again depending on what the quantity was....it could 5-6 sets, but I just can't recall).

For those who have responded to this thread above and would like to 'claim' your kit, just PM your mailing address and I'll get yours off to you in the next few days or so. No catches, no cost, "nothing additional to purchase!". Again, just wanted to share in some of what I had been able to find with those who would probably appreciate it most, the members of YORF.

Earl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Akela Box Set1--1115.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  124.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Akela Box Set2--1121.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  108.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Akela Box Set3--1123.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  122.8 KB  
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 01-16-2013, 08:26 PM
Dazed and Confused

You are a truly nice guy, Earl. I have to ask, though. Does the number 7 have a significant meaning to you, or is that just your favorite number?
Old 01-16-2013, 08:50 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Gee...ah...Thanks.

Well, I was in the Cub Scouts.

About a million years ago.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 01-16-2013, 09:12 PM
Sometimes collector

Those pictures of the fin sets bring back memories, I recall punching them out for a Vector-V. I did not know they were shared with the Akela or Viking. You were lucky to have a cub scout rocket program, I did get rocketry merit badge but that was boy scouts.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:02 PM
Aggressor Aerospace

Classy move Earl. I was a Cub Scout in the late 70s, but have no recollection of this kit from back then. I only know of it through the magic of the internet!