Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-28-2005, 10:27 PM
BP Mafia

Default Estes Space Program Yankee Clipper

Based on the contents, I'd have to put this set in the late 80's/early 90's era. I bought it off of Ebay with the intention of building and flying the rocket and scanning everything else for YORP. (Let me know if it's been done already. ) I had to laugh at the copy of Model Rocket News that is included. Definitely some of the cheesiest photos in rocket history. One in particular shows a Geo Sat LV "lifting off" while a group of kids watch. One girl in particular appears to be having an explosive bowel event and the rocket looks like someone pasted its image into the shot like they were scrapbooking or making a bad collage. This is right below the picture of Scott "Rokitflite" Branch and his mind-numbing collection of Estes kits. In another picture a group of kids are running after a "recovering" rocket and the kid who is making a grab for the rocket looks like he's taking a bullet. The rocket looks to be another bad cut and paste job. Fairly amusing, but not as good as the BM girl. Overall the whole package seems directionless and less than well though out. Sound familiar? Even back then the issue could have benefitted from a design contest like the good old days. At least a plan would have been nice.
I was happy to see that the Yankee Clipper rocket that is included with the set is not what I expected it would be. For some reason I thought it would be another variation of the Challenger I rocket with the plastic fin can, but it's actually got balsa fins. It has cheesy sticker decals, but I think I can live with them. Nothing very exciting, but not something you see all the time either.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc - Starfighter Scorpion Centuri - Mini Dactyl Estes - F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc - Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark