Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2006, 08:37 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
We did have a few of the FSI 18mm motors, B and C, and they worked excelent.

I still have a couple fired casings someplace, but sold the unburned ones some time back.

Pretty rare stuff, I imagine.

Ahhh, yes - I bought a FSI C6-7 from you a year or so ago (maybe 2). It is a bit 'bulgier' than an Estes motor, but still fits in a BT20 tube with a little coaxing.

Sean
Old 09-17-2006, 11:44 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
Ahhh, yes - I bought a FSI C6-7 from you a year or so ago (maybe 2). It is a bit 'bulgier' than an Estes motor, but still fits in a BT20 tube with a little coaxing.

Another reason I liked Centuri better. Their ST-7 had more clearance for fitting the motors in. Their tubes were beefier as well.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 09-18-2006, 10:19 AM
Retired Missile Technician

I was able to purchase a couple paks of 18mm FSI motors from an auction a few years back. They are still in package and I have not flown one. They are in my collection with the old 21mm and 27 mm motors

Going back to a previous comment about FSI "Pulsators", my first NARAM was NARAM-11 in 1969 at the Air Force Academy. FSI demo launched a five pulse motor in their 21mm E5 casing. The motor had a bit of delay charge in between each propellant grain. It was neat, but never went into production. More special effect than useful. Don't recall the delay. Flew my first F100 in F Eggloft. Great flight but broke the shock cord.

Chas
Old 09-18-2006, 11:54 AM
Master Modeler

I have one unopened pack of FSI B8-6 (?) motors left.

Also, two rather beat up motor boxes for the FSI 21mm x 70mm motors. They have really hokey artwork showing a rocket zooming through the clouds. I'll scan them in someday.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:56 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
I have one unopened pack of FSI B8-6 (?) motors left.

Also, two rather beat up motor boxes for the FSI 21mm x 70mm motors. They have really hokey artwork showing a rocket zooming through the clouds. I'll scan them in someday.

Chas and Stefan. Are your 18mm motors in a red box?
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 09-18-2006, 02:03 PM

My FSI 18mm motors are in plastic bags with header cards. Only two paks, so a small sample. I seem to recall that there were some in boxes.

I wish I had kept some of my 21mm motors in the boxes instead of removing them to put in motor boxes or ammo boxes (where I keep all of my collectables and bulk motors).

Chas
Old 09-18-2006, 02:05 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
My FSI 18mm motors are in plastic bags with header cards. Only two paks, so a small sample. I seem to recall that there were some in boxes.

I wish I had kept some of my 21mm motors in the boxes instead of removing them to put in motor boxes or ammo boxes (where I keep all of my collectables and bulk motors).

I have some old FSI motors in a red box from the early 70's. I just can't remember if they're 18mm or 21mm. I used to have them sitting on my computer desk here, but they must've gotten moved. If I dig them up I'll post a full report on size, impulse and date here.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 09-18-2006, 02:39 PM

Scott,

If you box of FSI motors is from the '70s, then they are the 21mm type. Should be a red and white box. Stephan mentioned that he has one and will scan it.

When the 21mm FSI motors came out in the late '60s, G Harry gushed over them in an article in American Modeling (might still have the article). He praised them as superior. My understanding was that he used them in a CT contest, even though they were not available to the general hobby.
Based on what we knew then I was trying to fly C and D eggloft with the 21mm motors. This was pre-CMR eggc apsules and using BT-60 sized eggs. Broke ten straight on FSI motors. Fly adn Die with FSI . LOL.

Hope you find your missing box of FSI motors.

Chas
Old 09-18-2006, 02:48 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
If you box of FSI motors is from the '70s, then they are the 21mm type. Should be a red and white box. Stephan mentioned that he has one and will scan it.

When the 21mm FSI motors came out in the late '60s, G Harry gushed over them in an article in American Modeling (might still have the article). He praised them as superior. My understanding was that he used them in a CT contest, even though they were not available to the general hobby.
Based on what we knew then I was trying to fly C and D eggloft with the 21mm motors. This was pre-CMR eggc apsules and using BT-60 sized eggs. Broke ten straight on FSI motors. Fly adn Die with FSI . LOL.

Thanks for the info. I had it up on my computer hutch along with a box of Citation motors and an old box of MRI motors.
Quote:
Hope you find your missing box of FSI motors.

They're down here, somewhere in this mess.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 09-18-2006, 04:29 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

The 18mm FSI motors I had, mid 80's, iirc. - had paper header tags and plastic bags , same packaging as F100,etc.

I think I still have the headers someplace, will have to look for those.

~ AL