Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > For Sale
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2017, 07:06 AM
Old School Rocketeer

ghrocketman, thanks for the compliment !

I am going to work a list of what's there this afternoon. Sadly, I don't belive I have any Centuri rockets. Some Semroc, some MPC, but mostly just plain old Estes. I bet I have 6 launchers though, not including the Electro Launch. Lol. I would never actually use that. I wonder if the current Estes main offices has one on display, and if not, what they would pay for one ?
Old 03-26-2017, 08:17 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Estes prior owner Tunik pretty much forsaked and purged history.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:56 PM
Old School Rocketeer

Ok, here's what I have. Not as many rockets or launchers as I thought !

125 various A,B and C motors, including some 1/2A's and B6-O's and B6-6's.
40 Mini's, from 1/4A to A3
25 C11's to D12's
Also a bulk pack of A8-3's, one of B6-4's and one of 1/2A3-4T's

Rockets:
#3024 Phoenix Bird
#2422 Reflector
#3216 Super Alpha
#2442 Mini Fat Boy
A kit that has the Super and Mini Mosquito
A Custom Rockets Aztec
And a Semroc Hawk

Now, I also have the Mini Brute Beta, it's not in the original bag and I have a Semroc Midget made for mini engines. I also have 4 Diamond Packs of A3-0T's that can go with those two. If anyone really wanted to build and launch them. Which was my plan.

I have a custom made launch controller that runs of whatever battery you want, and three Porta-Pad style launchers, 1 Red, 1 Black, and 1 Yellow-ish

There is also the super vintage Estes Alpha Range Kit with the Electro Launch. There is also an FS-5 Launch Controller and the vintage yellow color Porta-Pad.

There is the Model Rocketeer Library, along with other various Paper stuff.
I have Estes Catalogs No. 651, 681, 691, 701 and 712.

If you see something you'd really like, make an offer and let's chat about it !
Old 03-26-2017, 04:02 PM
Old School Rocketeer

And the built rockets too. Some have been launched, some have not. You can see the Boost Glider is not finished, although its built.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:12 PM
7/21/61

Lee,

Unfortunately, the Electro Launch is probably not worth nearly what you're hoping. An Electro Launch II sold recently for $55, only one bid. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Estes-Elect...I-/222414083982 )
Old 03-26-2017, 05:37 PM
Master Modeler

<thread drift> I didn't realize that the first version of the plastic base Electro Launch was called "Electro Launch II" but I suppose since it succeeded the wood base version it would be mk. II. Which of course makes me wonder why the later plastic version with the nesting case halves (as the OP has) was just "Electro Launch" on its instructions.

I have one of each type from prior eBay buys and the "II" hadn't been finished. So it was 49 years old when it launched its first rocket. I bring them out in September when my club has a classics-themed launch, figuring we should use classic GSE as well as fly classic designs. </thread drift>

Yes, I remember photoflash batteries. I had an EL in my first rocketry period which started when I was in Jr. High. I have no idea what became of that one (or most of my stuff from then, though I do have a few things still). I can tell you from those classics launches I mentioned that four alkaline Duracell alkaline Ds work MUCH better in an Electro Launch.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 03-26-2017, 08:23 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

<I can tell you from those classics launches I mentioned that four alkaline Duracell alkaline Ds work MUCH better in an Electro Launch.>

Well, not really. The Photoflash batteries had low internal resistance ( which the Duracell batteries don't have ) which gave a high current and fast ignition.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:21 PM
Master Modeler

Hmmmmmmmm.....well, you may be right...it's not that I had any photoflash Ds on hand to do a direct comparison with, nor was I using the old nichrome with blue pyrogen igniters from back in the "good ol' days". So - how's this: I expect that one could fly hundreds of models using current igniters off of a 4-alkaline-D-cell-equipped Electro Launch without need of changing the cells.

I have contemplated retrofitting one of my Electro Launches with a means to install a 2s LiPoly battery of moderate capacity. Then the internal resistance of the power source would go down hugely, but the EL would be easier to tip over being so much lighter. I lived in the northwest corner of New Mexico when I was in school and I remember being frustrated that the EL seemed to have been intended for a smooth, flat surface. It isn't very stable on either rough ground or grass.

When I use them now they usually are placed on a low folding table.

I guess we weren't done with thread drift after all. Sorry.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 03-28-2017, 07:24 AM
Old School Rocketeer

Looking through my catalogs I do not see an Electro-Launch II. The only other Electro pad I see is the ultra rare Phantom that was made of see through plastic. I've only catalogs from '65, '68, '69, '71 and '72. So maybe I'm missing it somewhere.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:33 PM
Master Modeler

I don't think it was called "Electro-Launch II" in the catalogs. That nomenclature is on the cover of the instruction booklet in the eBay listing that Gus linked to. In the pictures it's clearly the tabs-on-the-outside first version of the plastic-cased E-L that appears only in the 1966 catalog (catalog 651). Even though though that form also is shown in some illustrations in later catalogs, the E-L in the configuration you have (top of the case is bigger than the bottom, no external tabs) is first listed for sale in the 1967 catalog.

I've never seen a Phantom Electro-Launch in person, but I think it was a clear plastic version of the more common 1967-1971 E-L.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE