Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2018, 11:50 PM
Master Modeler

Well, as I say, given the market for "regular" 18mm motors, hopefully they won't have this issue.

I have more than once thought of building another Nova Paylaoder with a stage coupler or two inside above the motor mount to "harden" it a bit against the effects of the D10.

I was also going to add to my previous post that I once flew a BMS School Rocket with a payload section to over 2000 feet on a D10. This was at an Oregon Rocketry launch held at the Tillamook, Oregon airport (!). I would not have found it myself, but others in the group managed to direct me to it, so I did get it back.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 04-19-2018, 12:10 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Well, as I say, given the market for "regular" 18mm motors, hopefully they won't have this issue.

I have more than once thought of building another Nova Paylaoder with a stage coupler or two inside above the motor mount to "harden" it a bit against the effects of the D10.

I was also going to add to my previous post that I once flew a BMS School Rocket with a payload section to over 2000 feet on a D10. This was at an Oregon Rocketry launch held at the Tillamook, Oregon airport (!). I would not have found it myself, but others in the group managed to direct me to it, so I did get it back.
The D10 seems to be a "tortoise motor" rather than a "hare motor" (like the D21), in that instead of reaching top speed immediately and then wasting much of its energy against air friction, the D10-powered BMS school rocket more gradually accelerated to its maximum velocity (slower than it would have gone on a D21, I suspect), gaining a good deal of altitude in the process, then coasted higher overall because it generated less drag. Also:

Be glad it wasn't one of your Super Flea-like, break-away drag recovery models from the Estes plans book (a BT-20 or ST-7 size, 18 mm motor-powered up-scaled Super Flea might be interesting...), or no one might have spotted it! :-) I agree--those "stone-ized" 'fish paper' stage couplers provide good protection from burning ejection charge particles and 'heat soak' (my Astron Mark II's stage coupler/engine block ["thrust ring," in 'Quest-speak'] showed almost no wear even after numerous flights).
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 04-19-2018, 10:56 AM
7/21/61

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Why would anyone use a D10 or D21 in anything BT-20 or 50 based rocket unless it is a fire-and-forget flight ? Not likely to get it back unless the field is huge.

GH,

A "kid" I know and her dad have both used the D10 to great effect in minimum diameter tubes for altitude record attempts.

But in 18 mm tubes they usually destroy the tube after a single flight. I wouldn't fly them in anything painted.

I DO find the D21 a great motor for the Semroc Mars Lander.

Last edited by Gus : 04-19-2018 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:08 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Gus-
I can see that D10 being put to great use for that purpose ! I can imagine who the "kid" and parent are....

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 04-19-2018, 11:44 AM
Master Modeler

....I probably can, too....
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 04-19-2018, 01:06 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ
Default Kits suitable for the new motors

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  stripper2.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  6.9 KB  

Last edited by Jerry Irvine : 04-19-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:52 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
GH,

A "kid" I know and her dad have both used the D10 to great effect in minimum diameter tubes for altitude record attempts.

But in 18 mm tubes they usually destroy the tube after a single flight. I wouldn't fly them in anything painted.

I DO find the D21 a great motor for the Semroc Mars Lander.

I've flown a Discount Rocketry Tube-Oh with a D21, TWICE and gotten it back. There was a little discoloration on the tube following the second flight.

I've flown one of the Estes E2X rockets on D21, TWICE! and gotten it back (though the first time was a bit dicey... it just managed to find the side of a road in a forest next to the launch site. Just dropped right in between two large stands of trees.). I expected the motor mount to melt a little, but it survived nicely.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:22 AM
Dazed and Confused

I've had good luck rolling up a sheet of cardstock and inserting it down the body tube to protect them from charring with some of the little 22mm EX motors we played with. YMMV. Those little 22mm F motors were bullets!

We didn't use coupler tubes because of the recovery systems and they would have been hard to remove after getting roasted too. They wouldn't last but a few flights anyway, so it's not a permanent solution.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:57 AM
Avid Builder

Hmmm... I'm wondering if Nomex paper would work better than cardstock or coupler tubes:

http://www.erockets.biz/semroc-nome...d-sem-nom-2436/

Possibly a longer lasting solution? Worth further exploration.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:31 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I doubt thin nomex paper would be better than a thick fish paper stage coupler for burn-thru protection.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !