Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #131  
Old 08-07-2018, 08:28 AM
neil_w's Avatar
neil_w neil_w is offline
Mr. Cut-by-hand
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 314
Default

Well, I first made an attempt to just sand the area (lightly!!!) and then paint. Didn't look as good as I wanted, so, after much internal dialog, I tried to do a little with the Tamiya white. That did not go well at all; as soon as I started I could see it was not going well. As feared, the repair area grew, and I'm not sure if I even improved any of the parts I was trying to fix.

At this point I will just repaint and call it done, whatever it looks like. I will have to practice this technique off-line so I'll be ready when needed in the future.
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 08-12-2018, 08:32 PM
neil_w's Avatar
neil_w neil_w is offline
Mr. Cut-by-hand
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 314
Default Ugh

Well, I had a little... incident. It was hard enough to write up once, and I'm not up for doing it twice, so for those interested I'll just point you to the relevant posting on TRF: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...-6#post-1806473.

Enjoy (?).
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old Yesterday, 07:57 PM
neil_w's Avatar
neil_w neil_w is offline
Mr. Cut-by-hand
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 314
Default

I continue to lurch towards the end of this build.

Today I installed a new laundry shelf, and was able to get it in about 7.5" from the tip of the BT, which I think should just be enough. I then applied a patch on the inside of the body tube where I punctured it. See picture 1.

Then, in order to get the flap of BT to lay flat(-ish), I carefully trimmed the "inner" layers of it, corresponding to the inner layers of the rolled BT. Then I put a dab of TBII into the hole, and pressed down the flap. Because the hole was only about 3" from the end of the BT, I was able to squeeze it between my fingers (index finger inside the tube, thumb on the outside). Once the glue had set up, the flap was pretty flat. It's not beautiful but honestly it's less bad than I thought it would be. See picture 2.

Tomorrow I will apply a wee bit of touch-up paint onto the damaged area, and another coat around the base of my repaired fin (which does not look as good as I would like, to say the least). Then we're almost there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Shelf-and-fix-1.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  180.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Shelf-and-fix-2.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  336.4 KB  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe 1998-2018