Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2018, 10:06 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
We have a high power guy in our club that has a 7 engine cluster model that he has flown twice now at are field with Estes 29mm F15 motors. Uses Flash Pan ignition. Super Cool Flights.

John Boren

Would love to see that one fly.

Jesse Ulibarri and I are looking forward to flying with you guys this year. The last CRASH and NCR launches were cancelled due to fire danger, and unless things get better, we may be coming down for all our flying.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 03-15-2018, 11:15 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
That thar looks like a QUALITEEEEEEE E9 launch to me.

Almost as entertaining as a PMC POWR-PRANGG with it's nominal "trash bag-n-broom" recovery method.

On the contrary, C11-3. The same batch also killed an Estes Mini Max at about the same height.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 03-16-2018, 09:32 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
We have a high power guy in our club that has a 7 engine cluster model that he has flown twice now at are field with Estes 29mm F15 motors. Uses Flash Pan ignition. Super Cool Flights.
John Boren

LOL...I used to get raked over the coals by a certain TRF member when I talked about flash pan ignition for clusters.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:04 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Road flare! Perfect description.
"That's not an "E" motor failure. That's a dual-thrust motor with a jettisonable boost phase nozzle." :-) It would actually--ironically--be scale-realistic for models of some of the early solid-fuel ramjet/ducted rocket (they're on a rather blurry continuum) test missiles, some of which *did* jettison the rocket nozzle when the booster grain was consumed and the ramjet/ducted rocket kicked in... Hopefully (as others have expressed) a new Quest "C" will prove to be a satisfactory C11 replacement (I like composite motors, but they tend to cost considerably more than equivalent black powder motors).
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 03-16-2018, 11:56 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Flash Pan ignition ROCKS !
That would be one heck of an expensive flight with 7 Estes F15 motors, even if purchased at Hobby Lobby with 40% off coupons. Would be a cool looking liftoff, but most likely a large "I" or small "J" would be more economically viable and would perform better.
I bet I can narrow the TRF weenie whiner about that down to 3 different people.
That guy probably never goes 71mph in a 70mph zone.

RULES, SCHMOOLS !
I value the NAR "safety code" about as much as the paper lining the bottom of our Macaw cage.

Single AP motors are usually less expensive and better performers, but clusters are cool and fun. Occasionally a BP cluster might better for a high thrust-low altitude flight....kinda like a mortar round. It would be cool for school demos of larger rockets, but it is less safe. I occasionally cluster 2 a school camera flight, but I just don't feel good about heavier rocket clusters and little kids. Parents love lawsuits and threats of lawsuits even if you can't find a scratch on the kids.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:27 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Single AP motors are usually less expensive and better performers, but clusters are cool and fun. Occasionally a BP cluster might better for a high thrust-low altitude flight....kinda like a mortar round. It would be cool for school demos of larger rockets, but it is less safe. I occasionally cluster 2 a school camera flight, but I just don't feel good about heavier rocket clusters and little kids. Parents love lawsuits and threats of lawsuits even if you can't find a scratch on the kids.
I can certainly see that; in addition to scale clustered models, the multiple exhaust flames and often-staggered multiple ejection charge "pops" are nifty. The lower mass ratios of clustered models (because of the extra weight of the motors' paper casings) also acts as ballast for the quick liftoff, low-peak altitude flights you use for school demos and occasional camera flights.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 03-16-2018, 06:25 PM
Astrosaint

Thumbs up C11s are gone for good

Quote:
Horrible decision by Estes. Since the demise of the C5-3, the C11 has been the only worthwhile C they produced.

Well, on this date, March 16, 2018, I went to the post office and took delivery of the last C11-3s that were shipped in the USA. I got them from 2 vendors; Taekuodo Rockets and Superior Hobbies. They are NY based and they sold me 19 motors (2 and 3 pack) through Amazon. They were stocked after Belleville and Estes itself seemed to be depleted of that motor supply.

After taking a picture of the inventory, I put the motors with the other C11s I have and now I can wear out my C11 based fleet of rockets I recently assembled.

I have to thank Chris Michaelsson for publishing a notice on his blog. I made my purchases as soon as I read his post.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:33 PM
Master Modeler

If ya'll still looking for suppliers of C11's, check this vendor out:

http://lp2k.com/

A "local" vendor (use to be in Houston, TX - now near San Antonio, TX), I've ordered from them and got excellent, extra fast service.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:30 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
If ya'll still looking for suppliers of C11's, check this vendor out:

http://lp2k.com/

A "local" vendor (use to be in Houston, TX - now near San Antonio, TX), I've ordered from them and got excellent, extra fast service.

Thanks. They don't show inventory quantities but I ordered 5 (3) packs and the order went through...and now the choice is gone from their website. That may have been all they had. Nice price too.

I also got the last 4 (2) packs at e-rockets so I will good for a while.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:06 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott6060842
Thanks. They don't show inventory quantities but I ordered 5 (3) packs and the order went through...and now the choice is gone from their website. That may have been all they had. Nice price too.

I also got the last 4 (2) packs at e-rockets so I will good for a while.

One time I needed some A8-5 motors badly (and quickly), placed the order on a Thursday night and the package was already at my door Saturday afternoon.

One of their relative was a member of our model rocket club a while back (Challenger 498 NAR Section) and he (Harvey Miller) would bring a table full of motor stock at our launches to sell for our convenience